General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The Peterson trial

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:40 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Peterson trial

Perhaps it's just ignorance on my part (very possible) but I don't understand what the big thing is with the Peterson trial. It's been on TV NON STOP all day, not to mention the months and months of news coverage. This is not to say that her murder shouldn't be taken seriously but why does the news cover this non stop when there are thousands of murder trials every year in this country that nobody hears about? Seems rediculous to me . . . why is this so high profile and does anyone really care after all the media hype???

Old 11-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ivan...I couldn't have said it better. There are much more gruesome murders and crimes, but the press picks out one and runs with it. I have yet to talk to anyone who seriously cares about the Peterson trial and most think the publicity given it is foolishness.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:46 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,598 Likes on 1,303 Posts
This point has been made before, right at the onset. There was another pregnant gal gone missing up there and no one paid much attention. What you have here is a combination of factors. You've got this model-quality looking gal in the family way, and it's Christmas Eve. The whole darn community, and darn near half the state is out looking for her. Then you find out the hubby is doing what he's been proved to be doing--the sense of outrage felt by most people drives the desire to see just what this is all about--like passing the twisted unrecognizable remains of something on the freeway, we have to look. At this point, we all want to see this guy go to the table for this. The case invites comparison with other high profile cases and invites specuation and betting on how long the jury will take.

You're right--it's a garden variety spousal murder. But it was done in the right place at the right time to catch the eye and interest of many.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:52 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While the events were tragic,

I have NO interest in a fertilizer salesmens murder trial....

and immediately change the station when they start to discuss it....

I too don't "get" it....

Old 11-04-2004, 12:00 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,598 Likes on 1,303 Posts
So far, the three of you are all well over 500 miles from this. As I said, there were tons of folks involved all up and down the state, and many who knew someone nearby the crime. My brother and his wife live withing spitting distance of this, and so it created a buzz about being safe, crime in the area, who dunnit, etc. The personal "connection", however flimsy, set the stage for this sideshow.

Of course it doesn't merit national attention. Murder in the home where it belongs is no big deal. .

Old 11-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just don't get the details of it- last time I checked, bodies don't float in the water for four months, and then wash up within a few miles of where they were supposedly dumped, fully recognizable. Currents, marine scavengers, time, they all have their effect.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:23 AM
vinny8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ford_Six....interesting observation regarding a body in the water for 4 months. What's your opinion of how that could happen?
I agree with the posts...pretty people involved..pregnant women...the first suspect is always the spouse...then he turns out to be a cad. While I believe that he did it, or had something to do with it (i.e. O.J.), I don't believe that he will be convicted. Is there actual proof?

Old 11-04-2004, 12:28 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Just a couple months ago we had a pregnant woman magically fly out of a car when her boyfriend was driving. She died as did the baby. Cops quickly suspected that she didn't fall out on accident but was shoved out of the car. It was on the news for 2 nights and I've never heard another word about it. That happened within a few miles of my home.

Oh well, I guess it's just one more reason to hate the media in this country . . . it's a bunch of bovine feces if you ask me . . . not that you did. I really don't care about it. If it's sooooo important to the local community then air that junk on the local news, don't plug up every national broadcast with the latest about Scott Peterson.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
This, I believe, was considered high-profile due to the nature of the crime - that being the type - and now and then they "need" to be televised nation-wide...by the media and for the media. But, at the same time to see if justice will prevail. At the same time, though, it shines the light on lawyers, which they want more than spewing at any trial. All that equals MONEY.
When this one's over, they'll dig up another.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:06 PM
88'7.3F-250
Senior User
It really gets me too. It's like the media takes their coverage way above and beyond the needed and it turns into a reality soap opera of sorts. Well, I guess it must be somewhat effective because they reel in alot of viewers over the drama.
Like it was said above, I think what happened to her is terrible, but there needs to be a line drawn on the amount of coverage it gets. Just my opinion.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Ghostgunn
Elder User
Cute people are not suppose to die. There have been thousands of people that have died since then. Nobody seems to care. I just hope he has fun in the big house - what a concieted jerk. The sad thing is, couldn't he have been man enough and got a divorce ?, maybe he was afraid he would lose his poorly managed finances. I haven't followed the trial enough to see who the jurors are- But, I bet if they are moslty women they will all think he is cute and let him free. Cute guys aren't suppose to go to jail either. I have just heard a few women say that in my local area when talking about the case - how could he- isn't he cute crap. SImilar to the Oj- he is rich he couldn't have. I have lived long enough to know anyone is capable of anything . I hope he gets what he deserves!!

Old 11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ghostgunn
I hope he gets what he deserves!!
Probably a 3 million dollar book contract.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:08 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
new laws needed

I thought it was on to show how in some states someone can be found guilty for one murder, infact should be two. Some states don't count an unborn baby as murder, and this coverage will help to change the laws. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-04-2004, 03:11 PM
bluemoose89
Senior User
they ought to just shoot em and save us the bordem

Old 11-04-2004, 05:11 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Part of the controversy over it (although no one seems to talk about it much) is that he is charged with TWO murders, one for his wife, one for the baby (without any proof that the baby was actually "born" or not). At least, that's what I recall...

While I agree he SHOULD be charged that way, it's got some of the pro-choice'rs paying attention because of the ramifications.