Modular V10 (6.8l)  

gibson headers ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Badford
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gibson headers ???

i just purchased some Gibson SS headers on ebay for $250 new shipped. i hadn't planned on putting headers on, but for 250 bucks what the hell. my ? is are they going to be worth it. i've read they lose power on low end.. i don't want to install them and be ****ed that i lost power.. any V10 header guys out there that regret the purchase ?

Tony

Old 11-12-2004, 01:06 PM
kstyle1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed them on mine a few months ago. Took awhile but worth it. I get a little better milage. Make sure you remove the fender wells when you install them. Makes life much easier.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:40 PM
etcetera
Senior User
Where those real Gibson's or the "Gibson Style"? I've seen the gibson style generic headers on ebay and am interested if anyone has them.

Eric

Old 11-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Badford
Elder User
there the real deal. sealed in a gibson box wth the gibson logo welded on the header..

the ebay seller was Carol Gibson.
i think they blow out the overstock on ebay!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Old 11-15-2004, 10:00 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Just check out v10klzz71's gallery.

Try doing a forum search, we've talked about this on quite a few threads.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:31 AM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
If you leave the Y pipe alone you should not lose too much low end torque. I have the Banks headers on mine. They have smaller tubes to keep low end torque up. I did the entire exast system with headers, y pipe, muffler, and tailpipe. Be very patient with the job. It takes awhile and the biggest hurdle are the exhaust studs. I got a bit more HP and a bit more milage. The only bad thing I can say about the headers is the swooshing noise from them due to the thinner stainless steel. The old cast iron "log" type and very thick and heavy so you dont hear any of that.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
boxcar1874 get Jegs or Summit to sell you the heat wrap exhaust tape and you wll get two benifits, increased heat retention (helps flow) and reduced header noise. The noise reduction alone is worth the cost and effort.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
koconno2
Junior User
Interesting I have been thinking about installing the complete Banks System also. So you didn't feel a big power increase? I'm really more interested in an economy increase then Hp. Are you using the computer chip? I'm tolled it's requires the use of premium fuel? What does the exhaust sound like now?

Last edited by koconno2; 11-18-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:35 PM
etcetera
Senior User
Most header manufacturers will void your warranty if you use heat wrap. On stainless it's probably not a problem.

Eric

Old 11-18-2004, 07:04 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
I am running the banks kit with out any chip. Hopefull Samta will be nice to be a get me a SCMT for Xmas. And yes chips and tuners do require premium fuel if you run the performace setting. If you get the banks kit I wouldn't get the ottomind chip. It is not worth the money for only advancing the timing. Plus on newer trucks (03'and up) it is a pain in the but to intall. The PCM box is sealed and needs to be cracked open ot access it. The plug and play aspect of a tuner is far more flexibe and fully adjustable. Plus, the tranny shifts are firmer with less slippage. The ottomind chip does not do anything like that. Do some research on chips and tuners and you will see the difference. The exhasut now sounds good. Way way way different than it did stock. That tinny sound is gone replaced with a much deeper exhaust note. Sounds nothing like a V8. I hate to say it but and lower rpm's it does remind you of a V6. But the V10 does have a sound all of it's own. When you climb through the power band, 2500+++ RPM it sounds awesome. One thing though, I took off the banks dynaflow muffler off and put a Flowmaster 70 series on in its place. The banks muffler is a straigh through muffler it to me it sounded like a ricer. The flowmaser being chambered sounds so much better.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
koconno2
Junior User
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
I am running the banks kit with out any chip. Hopefull Samta will be nice to be a get me a SCMT for Xmas. And yes chips and tuners do require premium fuel if you run the performace setting. If you get the banks kit I wouldn't get the ottomind chip. It is not worth the money for only advancing the timing. Plus on newer trucks (03'and up) it is a pain in the but to intall. The PCM box is sealed and needs to be cracked open ot access it. The plug and play aspect of a tuner is far more flexibe and fully adjustable. Plus, the tranny shifts are firmer with less slippage. The ottomind chip does not do anything like that. Do some research on chips and tuners and you will see the difference. The exhasut now sounds good. Way way way different than it did stock. That tinny sound is gone replaced with a much deeper exhaust note. Sounds nothing like a V8. I hate to say it but and lower rpm's it does remind you of a V6. But the V10 does have a sound all of it's own. When you climb through the power band, 2500+++ RPM it sounds awesome. One thing though, I took off the banks dynaflow muffler off and put a Flowmaster 70 series on in its place. The banks muffler is a straigh through muffler it to me it sounded like a ricer. The flowmaser being chambered sounds so much better.
Good feed back, thank you.