1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

04' Expedition w/factory Nav problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:14 PM
RPar
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 EB EXPY navigation system

Hi All,

When I spoke to the dealer He said they went to another car and the gps does not set the clock. He said " if you know any one that has one that the gps does the time bring him prof ". If any here would like to share the number to the dealer ship where they fix your problem and the name of the tech/mech. who worked on your car this would help me out please.

Thanks,
RPar

Old 04-20-2005, 07:02 AM
KF4TQV
New User
Originally Posted by RPar
Hi All,

When I spoke to the dealer He said they went to another car and the gps does not set the clock. He said " if you know any one that has one that the gps does the time bring him prof ". If any here would like to share the number to the dealer ship where they fix your problem and the name of the tech/mech. who worked on your car this would help me out please.

Thanks,
RPar
RPar,

When I turned on the ignition, my clock would read --:-- and could stay that way for hours or set itself to some bogus time. After the dealer replaced the Navigation System, my clock would automatically set itself in a few seconds... 15 seconds max if it has trouble acquiring the satellites.

FYI... Your vehicle must not be in a garage. A roof will block the satellite signal. You must have a clear view of the sky.

the dealer He said they went to another car and the gps does not set the clock.

Your dealer has a defective Navigation System in the vehicle he used as a comparison or it didn't have the Navigation software loaded from the CD's.

My dealer was the Mall of Georgia Ford in Buford, Georgia. Phone 770-932-4060. My dealer has one man that works on radios and navigation systems. I don't remember the mans name.

If I were you, I would demand your dealership to get the Ford District service Rep involved with your problem.

Good luck,
KF4TQV

Old 04-20-2005, 05:21 PM
rdrakea
Junior User
It seems odd to me that the GPS signal is required to have a clock everytime you turn on your car. My clock is displayed INSTANTLY after the Expedition splash screen goes off. I doubt it has picked up single that quickly. Are you sure the current time isn't stored in memory and maybe this isn't happening on your unit? I can understand that the GPS signal might update the time, but required to even work?

Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
PJeski
Freshman User
Clock Setting: Your vehicle is equipped with your clock in the VNR system. To set the clock:
1. Access the CLOCK screen.
2. Press the ADJUST control to select the hours or minutes to set.
3. Use the cursor control to increase or decrease the hours or minutes.
4. Press DONE to set the time.
5. Select the SET soft key to synchronize/set the minutes and seconds to GPS time. The hours will remain at the user set value. You may choose to set the clock to a 12 or 24 hourdisplay.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM
nckracer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GPS Time Setting

Here is a link for the owners manual that states the navigation system does pick up a GPS time signal through the system options menu. It looks like you can set the hour for the time zone then sychronize the minutes and seconds with the GPS time by selecting the "SET" soft key.

Navigation clock setting

The info is on page 90 of the pdf. May take a minute to load.

Last edited by nckracer; 04-20-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:20 PM
2wiredu
New User
Originally Posted by nckracer
I have seen this happen from time to time on mine. I had an '03 with nav and now an '05 with nav. You need to remember that this system actually is a computer. If you shut it off and turn it back on before the nav system has time to shut it self down, these type of things can happen. The next time you shut your vehicle off, listen closely to the nav radio, that thing may run for up to 2 minutes storing data and shuting itself down.

Another possibility is the Dual Play button in the back seat if you happen to have children back there when this happens. I know I've been through that several times also.
I sold my 03 EB and now have an 05 Limited. Have you noticed any difference between the 03 Nav software and 05. Does your Nav disclosure splash screen come up after you turn on the radio? It does on my 05. If I don't press the OK button it goes away after about 5 seconds. On the 03 it only came up when you pressed NAV.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:56 AM
nckracer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The '05 software is much more detailed than the '03 software (at least for my part of the country). The only times I get the NAV disclosure screen is when I push the NAV or MAP buttons or when I start the vehicle with a destination already loaded. My disclosure screen will also disappear after a few seconds, but before it allows you to use the navigation, I will still have to accept the disclosure screen.

My disclosure screen will not come up if I start the vehicle and just use the radio. I do get the "Expedition" splash screen on every start up.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:21 PM
tishnj
New User
I have a 07 expidition and my nav won't work it has on the map GPS with a red void slash on it please help

Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 PM
mrenella
New User
Clock won't stay set and GPS unreliable

2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer. I've been following the various threads, and it seems some models are just different. The clock would not stay set or even show the time. I'd set it but when the ignition was turned off, the time would disappear. The gps stopped working and was lost most of the time. The direction displayed was always wrong. Surprise ..on this model ...they are not unrelated. If you turn the radio on and hit the preset buttons, 3 and 6, a display will come up and test the radio speakers and the gps antenna. My gps antenna failed the test.
I replaced the gps antenna ..it's behind the glove box BUT it's also behind the passenger airbag. You have to take out the radio and reach way back there to remove one screw ..a 7mm size.
The gps now works ...AND the time works. On this model, the time does come from the gps antenna. One weird caveat ...to keep the time and a current gps location, I have to leave the radio on ...EVEN after the ignition switch is turned off and I'm out of the SUV. Doesn't make sense but that's the way mine is working. I simply leave the radio on, although sound turned down when I leave the vehicle and the time and location is always accurate. Yes ..it's weird and doesn't make sense.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:07 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest, the nav on these now 14 year old vehicles are getting pretty outdated. Unless you're in for preserving the vehicle in a "factory original" condition, I'd say you're better off installing an aftermarket unit at this point. Personally I went for an Android head unit which gives me everything, Google Maps with traffic info, reverse cam and all that. I'm much happier with this than I would ever be with the original head unit, which was broken when I purchased the vehicle anyway.