General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

About divorce...can she take everything?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does a divorce cost half of your stuff?

BECAUSE IT'S WORTH IT.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My sister in law, and her soon to be husband are both divorcee's. This will be their second marriage. (First to each other.) Anyway, they both got screwed on their first marriages, and resulting divorces. My soon to be brother in law finally had enough of dealing with the lawyers so he went to his ex wife and said "Here's what I got, here's what I can give you, now will you and your @&%$!#@ lawyer leave me alone?" As it turned out, she agreed to it, and it's the best thing he did. But her lawyer was po'ed because he wasn't getting his cut. But the best thing is he still gets visitation with his 2 boys any time he wants.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Leeland1
Junior User
You can give me all of your money. I'll keep it safely for you until the divorce is over and give it all back. Got any other cool stuff you want me to hang on to?

Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 AM
79camperspecial
Junior User
"All this divorce crap is depressing - I think a pair of dueling pistols would be a lot quicker, and much more effective."

My wife is a better shot than I. And she knows it.

Jerry Reed once said "she got the gold mine I got the shaft, they split it right down the middle and she got the better half."

Seriously though, my in-laws are divorced and he got her to agree to a mediator to settle things. Yeah He paid her alimony for 10 years but he didn't get taken to the cleaners. I've seen guys here at work who used lawyers and they're still walking around carrying a donut pillow.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
After more than two decades in the USAF I've witnessed many divorces and learned quite a bit.

Be highly organised financially, and have control of your personal assets, including the ability to cut off access.

Prenupts are good, and since honest people (the kind ya'd marry) ALWAYS like written agreements no one should object to a legal agreement, which can be done at the same time as living wills, any LIMITED power of attorney, conventional wills, etc.

Joint-use money should be in a seperate account from where pay is deposited. Single-person accounts can be frozen by the owner.

If you plan to divorce, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT and gradually off your assets (out of state if you have a buddy there).
In many states a mechanics lien will hold a vehicle until magistrate auction for what is owed...

Old 12-01-2004, 12:11 AM
stealth1
Senior User
Originally Posted by wizzard351
ya'll know why divorce's are expensive cuzz they worth it!!! i was sneaky about it my ex would spend money faster than i could make it so when i figured enuf was enuf i took it on a 2 year plan sold all my old cars and trucks to famly and freinds rite away told her it was to cover debt took money and put in an ol amo box and kept it at my moms even took some of the house things that sposly didnt work and stashed them tools just every thing i had before we got together and some after just stuf that didnt need a new home then after the last year i filed oh she was po'ed but every thing was gone long before so it didnt look like i was hiding any thing then after 9mo's after i went and got my stuff back she took me back to court but couldnt do nothing about it
SMART MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2004, 03:11 AM
GotLift
Elder User
More bad news. In some cases men have to pay child support for children that the woman had (with another man) before they were married. That would burn me!

My fiance's parents are divorcing after 28 years. He was all torn up and we talked about it one night. In the beginning, all she wanted was half the value of the house, which she deserves. After all, they both lived in it for 28 years. I told him to settle and sign the paperwork before a lawyer gets involved. He kept trying to save the marriage and kept putting her off. Now she has a lawyer and wants half the house, half his savings, half his retirement, and child support for the youngest son that is living with him. I keep wanting to say "I told you so!" Once a lwayer gets involved you're screwed! Then it's about how much he can make.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:30 AM
notso
New User
Depends on state laws, but a friend of mine signed everything over to his father beforehand and sent her packing with a suitcase and a footprint, he even got her car.
One for the guys!!.......Get a good lawyer.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
If you're thinking about it, start gifting things like cars, money and other personal property to close relatives or better yet sell it to them for some token amount. If I remember correctly you can gift someone up to $50,000 in cash or property per year without the giftee being responsible for any taxes. Furthermore, most courts are very reluctant to dissolve a legal sale of personal property regardless if there were any other motivations behind the sale. Once everything goes through, have it gifted back to you or buy it back for the same token amount. Just make sure that in the divorce settlement that it clearly states that the other spouse can't go after any assets or funds after the settlement has taken effect.

I would especially reccomend doing this if you have any large retirement accounts, collectable vehicles, etc., that the other spouse is likely to try to go after in the settlement. While you may have to pay penalties on some of the investments, it is far preferable to having most or all of your savings wiped out due to a divorce.