Print Wikipost

Pendaliner v Duraliner v OEM bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Waldonian
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pendaliner v Duraliner v OEM bedliner

Getting a 2005 Supercrew! Very jazzed. Want to put a drop-in liner (spare the spray debate) and trying to make a good choice.

Irrespective of price - who makes the best liner? Wondering who has the best fit. I've seen some off-brand, cheap ones that rattle and are sloppy. I think the decision boils down to Penda, Dura and OEM.

I remember with my 2000 Supercab that the OEM was cleary not the nicest fitting. But time marches on and this is a Supercrew.

THANX!

Old 10-28-2004, 05:05 PM
pilot10
More Turbo
I had a Duraliner in my ranger. Fit pretty well but did have some rattle on rougher roads. Was able to silence most rattles w/ camper shell tape. However, some spots just pushed the tape out of the way. I planned on trying a heavier material, like rubber but never got around to it before the truck was stolen.

I bought a new F150 and put a Bedrug in that thing. Very happy with it. It's made of the same material as the bedliner. And I can attest to the fact it impervious to gas, oil, whatever. Just sweep or rinse it out and its good as new.

Tim

Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Friend installed an OEM bedliner (complete with logo) in a 2000 SuperDuty. Removed it three months later and had seven spots where the liner had rubbed through to the bare metal. Some of them rather large.

If you won't discuss spray-ins ... IMHO ... stick with the rubber mats.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:32 PM
RangerV6
New User
I learned yesterday that OEM liners were actually outsourced 50/50 to Duraliner and someone else, maybe Penda.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:10 PM
loghomeman
Senior User
Thumbs up

I`ve had the non skid pendaliner in my truck for almost 2 1/2 years. I very well! I remove it this sumer for the first time and there were a couple areas were it rubed the paint down tp the primer, so I used some of that herculiner and really pit it on good and after a few days put the pendaliner back in.I would buy it again!

Old 10-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
Most of the premium bedliners are more than adequate.

When I bought a new f150 in '88, I went down the next day and bought a cheapo no-name $149 bedliner. It was rather cold that morning but the liner looked fine. The next day it warmed up into the 80's and that was when I saw the ripples on the top rails. No refunds on the liner, lived with a cheapo rippled bedliner for 9 years. It worked as well as the nice ones, just looked bad.

And who cares if it wears a spot in the paint in the bottom of the bed? The bedliner stays in the truck when you trade it in and they still give you $100 trade-in on it regardless of brand or style. No one is going to look under the liner and say "It wore a spot in the paint!!!" Of course it's going to wear spots in the paint!

Old 10-30-2004, 10:28 PM
BDU33
Senior User
liner

Drop a liner of your liking and then put a rubber mat in the bottom to keep crap from sliding around. Thats what I'd do. Not sure of a Manuf....sorry...never owned one. 2 trucks...two spray in liners...no gaps, voids, holes where tie downs are, etc...etc...etc....JMO...Question if I may...why spend alot of money on a truck and not spray a custom liner in the bed.....just wondering

Last edited by BDU33; 10-30-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:26 AM
loghomeman
Senior User
Smile

I didn`t want a custom liner because they don`t have impact protection.You drop ,through something heavy and your bed gets messed up! You drop something heavy on a drop in liner and you`ll protect the bed alot better! I`m a rock hound and any good looking rock I find I throw in the truck if I can lift! I think the spray in liner are great , I just like to have a little more impact protection! I paid $199.00 for my pendaliner.I paid $119.00 with tax for 5 quarts of the herculiner and the other stuff to install it sanding materials and rollers and brushes.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Waldonian
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BDU33
JMO...Question if I may...why spend alot of money on a truck and not spray a custom liner in the bed.....just wondering
I'm with Loghomeman - I want the impact protection. Hauling rocks and the occasional gravel seem much more pleasant with a liner. And after spending a lot of money on my truck, the notion of sanding off the finish for a spray-on liner makes me cringe. Just my opinion.

Old 10-31-2004, 11:36 AM
BDU33
Senior User
Great reason

Cool....good enough for me...different applications for different reasons...go hounding and locate that special geoligical find

Old 11-01-2004, 04:47 AM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Waldonian
I'm with Loghomeman - I want the impact protection. Hauling rocks and the occasional gravel seem much more pleasant with a liner. And after spending a lot of money on my truck, the notion of sanding off the finish for a spray-on liner makes me cringe. Just my opinion.
I was under the impression that they just scuff the finish - not "sand it off" for a spray-on liner. I've seen quite a few drop-in liners take care of the sanding for you

When it comes down to it...what are you protecting that bed for? Better resale or trade-in value? I'm all for protecting your investment, but as much as vehicles cost these days and as much as you suffer loss when you trade-in or sell it outright...a few dings/scratches in the bed are NOT going to make that much difference.

I've also seen those mats that go in before a drop-in liner to prevent paint-rub by the drop-in. Not sure if they work or not - it seems like a good idea.

One thing against spray-in liners - once you have it done, you're protecting something that you're never gonna see again - doesn't make much sense to me... If you're trying to protect the factory finish - the ideal answer would be a drop in liner with a pad or some other way of preventing the paint-rub from movement of the liner.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 AM
BDU33
Senior User
Hmmm

Originally Posted by 78Explorer
I've also seen those mats that go in before a drop-in liner to prevent paint-rub by the drop-in. Not sure if they work or not - it seems like a good idea.

One thing against spray-in liners - once you have it done, you're protecting something that you're never gonna see again - doesn't make much sense to me... If you're trying to protect the factory finish - the ideal answer would be a drop in liner with a pad or some other way of preventing the paint-rub from movement of the liner.
Bottom line is your not going to "protect" your factory finish with a drop in liner. Period. Of course when you spray on, the factory finish is gone...Duh. It's not until later on when the landscape material, water, road grime, and what not eat away at your "factory finish" and makes it a rust bucket. It doesn't matter what you do...drop in or spray...your still gonna have "some" issues with both. I just dont get it. It's consumerism at its best. We buy 40K rigs, drop in or spray a "liner" to "so call" protect the bed. It's a bed of a truck...H$%, some of us put carpet kits in them for God sakes....This has been a debate for years and seems to rise to the top for discussion now and again. I'm done.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:21 AM
loghomeman
Senior User
Smile

I`m not worried about the finish at all, I`m just trying cut down on big dents and rust. So the herculiner stops the rust and the drop in liner protects from dents. I try to keep all areas of my truck looking as good as I can and as dent and rust free as I can, thats all.