Sponsored by:

On board air

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 09:46 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On board air

Is there some kind of check valve to prevent backflow between your compressor and tank on a York setup to prevent air from leaking back into the compressor or is it sealed up enough to not matter? Just getting rolling on this now. I'm getting a water/oil seperator for the line from the compressor to the tank, have a pressure cut-off switch, just not sure if there's anything else.

Last edited by ivanribic; 10-13-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
yea man, you'll have to get a check valve otherwisw your compressor would be running forever to keep uo pressure.....unless you were just going with a simple system that included just the compressor and no tank. then all you would need would be a filter and hose!

i have done some serious research on this as i will be adding my York to my 460 one of these days!

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 10-13-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:07 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Sweet! Thanks Fishy. Their prices are a little steep at oba.com but that gives me an idea of everthing I'll need. I was going to go with a 12v compressor but apparently the York puts out over twice the volume as most of the high capacity electrics. I've got the compressor and a couple of tanks so I'm going to start piecing it all together. I want to have enough capacity to run an impact . . . not that I have need for it but there's a definite bling effect when you plug a polished IR impact into your rear bumper and go to town.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:15 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
lol yes it is bling and yes they are pricey...i would never buy from them! i was just showing you the components that are highly suggested. also, you don't want to run too big of a tank b/c then your compressor will have to work overtime to keep it full which could lead to overheating! just don't get stupid with it if ya know what i mean....no one needs a 100 gallon air tank (although that would be badass!) just to fill some tires and run a wrench. when and if i get around to it i am gonna run something like a 4-5 gallon tank at most!

-cutts-

Old 10-13-2004, 12:32 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
I have 2 10 gallon tanks (I believe they're 10 gallon) from a semi. I haven't decided if I'm going to stick with them, use 1 or 2, or what will happen. One thought I had was if I install them both I could use a solenoid controlled valve between them, similar to ARB's. I could have 1 tank as my primary for basic stuff like running the lockers or airing tires. Then if I had to do some work and wanted more storage for power tools I could flip a switch and fill both tanks. But I don't think 20 gallons is necessary with the output of those York compressors.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:04 PM
jopey
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using a york compressor for like 3 years now. I have burned one up because I let them run dry and use them to air up alot of big tires.

I got all of my parts from ACE hardware. I am running a one way valve which has a pressure release on the york side so when the york shuts off the pressure is releived for easier starts on the york.
I just used a standard pressure switch for a AC air compressor. All in all I think I spent like $100 to put my on board air on, this included the york I pulled out of a Volvo.

I have been running tankless ever since I put mine in. I have two 2.5 gallon air compressor tanks I got off of ebay I am going to put on the hood, I just have not mounted them as of yet.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:37 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Why are you running them dry Jopey . . . on purpose or just forgot to refill the oil?

Old 10-13-2004, 01:40 PM
jopey
Elder User
because they are soo cheap and I am too lazy to keep filling them up with oil.

They constantly spew oil out.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:56 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Have you tried using a seperator? oba.com has a trick looking setup where you turn a valve and it dumps the oil from the seperator right back in the compressor. I'm just sure they work as well as stated. Guess it might be a good thing to use Pro-Long or Slick50 for a while and then drain it to get a little more life.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:06 PM
jopey
Elder User
I paid like $13 for my last compressor. I have been thinking on getting a good speorator for a while now. If I get that ARB it will have to be sooner than later.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just about any hardwear store should have what you need.

Is the check valve the valve on the shop compressor that relieves that little "pshh" when the motor shuts off?

Can you get it in chrome?

As for the spewing oil out, I wonder if this http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_oilmod.html
really helps out at all. I did it to mine to see, but it'll be quite a while before I actually get an engine in my Bronco, let alone a compressor.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:37 PM
jopey
Elder User
been there
done that
didn't work

I have tried it on 3 different compressors.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey ivan i got a couple alumimum air tanks here polish them up and shine on let me know if you'd be interested make ya a heck of a deal they're out in the shop and always in the way

Old 10-13-2004, 10:39 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dern.
Jopey, did that do anything BAD to the compressor? or just nothing good?

Old 10-14-2004, 02:55 AM
mako5972
Elder User
This is cool, now I know how to put a compressor on board for cheap. Thanks.