General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How long should vehicles sit without being driven?

Old 01-16-2002, 06:04 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 03-12-2002, 08:02 AM
LK
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, folks, I have a question: I currently have four different vehicles, and since there are four of them and only one of me some of them end up sitting around. How long to you think that a vehicle can sit before it starts to become a problem? I'm thinking of seals and gaskets drying out, fluids getting bad, and things like that.

Right now I try to drive each of them at least once a week - especially the '01 F150, which is the one I'm the most worried about. Some of them like sitting more than others...my Towncar, for instance, does not like sitting for an entire week - it sounds like it's going to rattle itself apart when I first start it, and even after the oil pressure comes up it isn't very happy. However, if I start it every other day or so, it sounds great.

Anyway, since I'm not the only one here who seems to collect vehicles I figured some of you might have a better idea on this kind of thing.

Oh, and bonus points for the first person who knows what song the "four of them and only one of me" phrase comes from - though in the song it might have been only three of them (can't remember for sure).

LK

Old 03-12-2002, 09:31 AM
Vampiro
Cargo Master

during the winter both my truck and my dad's motorhome sit around. The truck is in a garage the motorhome aint. we just start the motorhome about once every 2 months and just let it idel for 15-20. the truck i start about every 3 or 4 weeks. but soon im gonna bring it back. just waiting for the snow to melt first

Old 03-12-2002, 12:11 PM
the law
Elder User

Just make sure you start them at least once a month or so. You can really get away with letting it sit even 2 months, but might as well play it safe. Once it's started, go inside, have a sandwich, and come out and turn it off.

The Law

Old 03-12-2002, 12:56 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The most important thing is to let the engine get to operating temp. If you just let it sit for a few minutes running and then shut it off you'll tend to get an accumulation of crap in your engine. When a car sits you get condensation in the enigne, let that sit and stuff will rust inside, starting it and letting it run to operating temp will get the water to boil away, otherwise it'll still be in there. Also, letting the oil get hot like when your driving lets the acids that accumulate in oil burn off.

Gary
==============================
46 truck-6cyl now, 302/C4 soon
46 truck-flathead 8, 4spd
47 truck-getting a 429/C6
57 Ford FL 500-4 dr-312/AT
70 Mustang fastback-351W/FMX
72 Olds Vista Cruiser-350/AT
88 Bronco II, 500,000+ mi.

Old 03-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Buick is used everyday.
The Truck is used once or twice a week. (if it isn't I start it and run it for an hour every two weeks to make sure condensation it taken care of)
The Volvo is started and run for an hour every 3 weeks
The 68 Mustang is winter prepped and put on stands for 6 months.It gets used in the summer(usually).
The 64 1/2 is Stored year round and prepped for that.

Dennis https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=1733&.jpg
[i][font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font][i]

[font color=blue]Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [font/]

78 F-150 429CJ,Silver, Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon

Old 03-12-2002, 03:07 PM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for keeping the battery charged, and perhaps the mice out of the engine bay, if left outside, it is better to leave them sitting than start them up and not let them totally dry out, including the exhaust. You can put stabilizer in the fuel to keep it from going bad.

Winford

Old 03-12-2002, 08:40 PM
mmcarter
Senior User

In addition to starting the engine and allowing it to reach proper operating temperature (as well as charging the battery) you should also turn on the air conditioner and allow it to run. My F150 sat for a year in storage. We would start it once a week for a few minutes. It had a new battery and a good charge on the air conditioning. When I got it out I had to run it for a while to get the battery charged. I am a bit concerned about the air conditioning compressor right now. I am hoping that I can just charge it and everything will be ok.

Old 03-12-2002, 11:32 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Although I agree with most of you...well...here's my take.

I spent 14 years in the Army working in and around maintenance operations. Most trucks would simply get started once a week, run for an hour or so to bring them up to temp so that the assigned operator could perform the weekly PMCS. (Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services) Every truck that was treated like for an extended amount of time, broke down whenever it left the motorpool. Some trucks wouldn't move for months. Only get started.

I required all my soldiers to drive them daily (as much as they could). The more miles they had on them, the happier I was. I got so tired of seeing engines pulled with 15k on the clock, steering gears, axle seals, you name it!

If you have multiple vehicles that are not stored properly for extended storage, then take 3 minutes and create a little weekly use schedule to excercise them AT LEAST weekly.

BTW, my (Army) truck that had 64k put on it in a year NEVER broke down. And it was a Chevy! *gasp*

Excercise; the key to long life!

Old 03-13-2002, 06:54 AM
LK
Elder User

Instead of letting my vehicles sit and idle, I tend to drive them 20 or 30 miles in order to make sure they're fully warmed up - since they're all insured I figure I might as well use the gas to drive someplace. I'd actually thought of suspending the insurance, but I never know when I'll need (or want) to drive one of them. For example, if I have an emergency with the horses and need the diesel to pull the trailer, I wouldn't want to spend the time to call my agent to change insurance coverage - and Michigan is a bit picky about the whole auto insurance issue (you have to have it to register the vehicle, among other things).

I was basically just wondering if I could stretch my "once a week" schedule to every two weeks or every month - but it sounds like there are a variety of opinions on that. I do know from experience that you don't want to leave a vehicle sit in a field for 3 years - I once bought an old '73 Jeep J4000 pickup out of a farmer's field, and it took a bit of work to make it run again. He said it ran when he parked it there, but it sure didn't run 3 years later.

Oh, and the song reference was from the Charlie Daniels Band, "Uneasy Rider".

LK