General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Cigar Troubles . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM
felixr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cigar Troubles . . .

Anyone here smoke cigars? I'm a newb to cigar smoking/collecting(about a year and a half now) and im having a problem that i used to have when i first started.
swallowing/inhaling smoke. ill try to make this as short as possible. . .

i THOUGHT i had gotten over this but for some reason, the last two cigars i have had, i have had the aweful experience of inhaling/swallowing smoke. it just started happening. i had practiced and practiced and got over it, training my mouth how to position itself, how to close off my throat but still draw smoke into my mouth and i had it down to a science. now all of a sudden im back to making the same rookie mistakes. im not too worried about that alone, im more concerned with what has happened to me this last time. both times, it has given me a nasty stomach ache and heartburn(already have it, and gastritis) and it makes me gassy(belching not the other kind ).

this time however, it started with a nicee cool comfortable feeling, which turned into a tired sleepy feeling which went to a straight out of the 60's euphoric feeling which quickly took a dive to "i dont feel so good" and later on went to cold sweat dripping from my forehead as i was cradling my stomach in the fetal position hoping not to damage the expensive persian rug that was 2 inches from my face . . . not fun

has anyone ever heard of this or had this weird experience? is it the nicotine or tobacco going into my bloodstream or something? its NOT bad tobacco unless you consider Toraño's or Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real's to be bad tobacco. . . i dont smoke/collect junk . . . i have a fine and delicate palate that i am very protective of so rest assured, its not the cigar. any help,ideas, info, suggestions etc will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

just think, this was the short version . . . sorry lol

Old 03-30-2005, 04:05 PM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
I don't know if this has anything to do with your cigar smoking, but it almost sounds like you have a Hiatus Hernia. I got one way back when I was pregnant with my second daughter. It's very painful and leaves you gasping for breath. Weight gain causes it. I believe that smoking and drinking aggravate it, as well as caffiene and rich foods. And for some reason I'm also unable to take cough remedies like Nyquil or Robitussin. Do some search on it.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think maybe there's a clue in your line "I'm a newb to cigar smoking/collecting...". A year and a half is not a long time to become an accomplished cigar smoker, by my own personal experience. I was a cigarette smoker for many years, and once I'd decided to quit them and smoke cigars, I found that it took quite a long while to fully abandon my cigarette smoking habits when it came to inhaling. I've smoked cigars for years now, as well as a pipe, and still find myself messing up once in awhile. It simply takes practice. Remember not to rush through a good cigar. One of the main mistakes I made when I began was to think I had to puff on it constantly to keep it alight, because a tightly wrapped cigar (or pipe) will go out. If this happens, simply relight it. Don't try to draw on it wildly to keep the fire going, because this will always lead to inhaling smoke and the symptoms you've experienced. Keep practicing. Like any of the fine things in life, it takes a bit of practice to enjoy.

Of course, if your symptoms stick around, it could be the sign of more serious troubles, as NHH describes, so be on the lookout for that, but, as I said, practice a bit first, and don't be disappointed if you have the occasional setback.

Happy smoking.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:39 AM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
i never really liked cigars, i hate the smell of them and i dont see the point behind spending money on them and not even inhaling them. last new years eve me and a bunch of friends bought a whole bunch of cigars, and considering i was so drunk i had a hard time standing up, i was smoking cigars like they were cigarettes most of the night, then my chest was burning for about a week afterwards. so i dont smoke cigars anymore. ill stick with my chew and the occassional cigarette.

the symptoms you described sound similar to my experiences when i first started chewing...

Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 AM
felixr
Elder User
thanks for the responses

hottie, i dont have nearly enough of the symptoms you describe like the shortness of breath or the pain . . .i will look into any possibility though . . better safe than sorry thanks

Farm, thanks for the advice. even though ive heard it a million times, and read it in cigar afficionado a dozen more, i just realized thats exactly what i did this last time. i puffed it to keep it lit. i did relight some times but tried to "catch it" before it died. it wasnt even that tightly wound, im guessing it had reached a bundle of seeds or something and died out a little. what a stupid rookie mistake . . . makes it worse when i already knew not to lol. man, i swear i was just bout ready to quit cigars for life from how bad i felt. but nah, nothin like a fine cigar. thanks again

its an aquired hobby rebel. like 40 yr old men and old ferrari's. some of the ugliest lookin contraptions on the planet in my opinion, but to them, a thing of beauty lol. i always thought about pipes but im only 24 . . . something inherently "old fogie" about smoking a pipe, no offense pops

again, thanks for all your replies . . .i wonder if i -do- have some type of hernia or something cause of how fast i got sick. and not just sick but "high" if you will.
could it be just part of the nausea from the smoke in my stomach or that the nicotine and or tobacco got into my bloodstream from an open wound? hmm . . guess only a doctor will be able to tell. i dont really feel like i have anything. although, i do get heartburn and i have gastritis(always have-almost killed me when i was a kid) hmm . . sounds like its time for a visit

Old 03-31-2005, 08:19 AM
phatpony
Senior User
I smoke pipes and cigars. I used to smoke cigarettes, 10 yrs worth. I quit for about 2 years. At a trade show party, they were handing out cigars, good ones. I looked at my wife and said "boy I sure would like one, but I'm afraid I'll relapse to wanting cigarettes". Well she replied that I should try one and if I wanted a cigarette, she would just stomp me into the ground, lol. An offer I couldn't refuse. Anyway, I had one, and yes, it took awhile to get over the desire to inhale. But, enough of a bad thing will cause you to figure it out. Stick with it. Try something a little milder maybe, like a Partagas or Punch, claro wrapper, on the small side.

I am into manly type cigars, Maduros and Corojo wrappers, anything from Honduras, the bigger the better. I've been smoking cigars now for about 7-8 years and that is where my pallete is at.

And no, I didn't relapse to cigarettes. I cannot stand the smell of them.

Good luck and happy smoking.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:25 AM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
If you don't smoke cigarettes, the cigars will make you feel light and "high". It's called the nicotinic effect (I believe). Nicotine, in very small doses is good for you, as it promotes bloodflow by opening up even the smallest of cappillaries under your skin and throughout your body. A cigarette for the first time in awhile will do this to you as well, such as the first of the morning, even one smoked too fast. While the dosage is a lot higher then reccommended when they say a bit of nicotine is good for you, the effect continues.

Cigars have nicotine in them as well. I like cigars, and smoke them when I golf but have never had that problem. I tried dip once a few years ago when drunk....I'll never drink what I drank that night or dip EVER again.

As for getting sick, I'm not totally sure. I wish I could help, but it's only happened to me once, and I really don't think I inhaled any of it. Maybe I did and didn't remember, but I'll never forget that cheesesteak...part 2.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 AM
johnotisswatsell
Junior User
I smoked cigars for years. Starting with Dutch Masters in the 60's. Some years back I became and enthusiast, and went to all ends to find cigars of every kind, shape, etc. Then I sorta lost interest. Last year my brother became an enthusiast, and gave me a hand full of what was supposed to be the finest of the finest of the finest. Long Story short, Each one made me almost instantly sick. Stomach cramps, etc. Maybe you are only allowed a certain number of cigars in life and then.....time runs out. I hope you find out what is causing the problem. Good Luck.
John Swatsell

Old 03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
felixr
Elder User
the one i was having was something darker than i usually have. it was a toraño if you've ever heard of it. i find i like the milder cigars better. like a double connecticut(sp?) wrapper on a cusano 18. i find the punches ive had to be too tightly wound and hondurans are almost too spicy for me. i keep seeing that ad in Cigar Afficionado that says "real men aren't affraid of the dark" and these black as night cigars on there and i just shake my head and think, i must be a woman then lol

Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
felixr
Elder User
i tried skoal once . . tasted like ***** . . . didnt really tast too good, plus when i found out it had fiberglass in it i was intrigued but not interested after i thought of the spitting and the yellowing, and the mouth cancer etc etc lol