1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Codes... What do they mean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 01:36 PM
ubermich
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Codes... What do they mean?

Finished my paperclip test and I've found the following:
KOEO - 23
Closed throttle TPS voltage higher or lower than expected

CM --
41 - No HEGO switching detected always lean (Right side)
53 - TPS circuit intermittently failed above max 4.5v
62 - Converter clutch error (E40D)

It's had an unstable idle since I bought it 6 months ago, never did anything except scare me when it would rev while I was coming to a stop... until yesterday, when it dropped idle instead of raising it. It died coming out of my driveway and pulling out of the parking lot at work. The check engine light must have come on right before it died the first time, because it hasn't come on even with the spastic high idle.
So I assume the TPS circuit is the idle problem... But what can I do/check to figure out exactly where the problem is? And what is the converter clutch error?

Thanks guys. Sorry I haven't been around much, school is kicking my **** (unfortunately, I have to put 40 miles on the truck 5 days/week, so I need to get this fixed ASAP But the 40 miles is to get to college, so you know I don't have the cash to take it to a shop... )

Edit: 90 bronco w/ 351w if it makes a diff...

Last edited by ubermich; 09-09-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:58 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its time to replace your tps i believe, but use a haynes manual or something to test it and make sure its bad or good . Regarding the converter clutch error, i have had this code for a long time now and havn't had any problems. You could probably replace your torque converter to fix this but i don't think its really that big of a deal but do what u need to do.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:47 PM
ubermich
Senior User
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the converter clutch, as I haven't really had any problems with the tranny. The only thing it does it take about .5-1 second to switch between selections, shifting between gears doesn't seem to pose a problem, though... Though I'm not an expert so I might not know if it did, but it doesn't kick or rev akwardly between gears... That was in the memory, so I'm going to try clearing it and seeing if it comes back... if it does, could a fluid change help anything? I've been told by some to change it, and by others to leave it alone (their statement being that changing fluid in a perfectly good tranny tends to start problems)...

And for the TPS, should I check for shorts first? The high/low voltage kind of makes me wonder... but if it always gives that code when the TPS is shot, I won't waste my time hunting one bloody exposed wire.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:07 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Test the TPS according to the Haynes or Ford service manual. Its designed to change electrical resistance as the throttle plates move. As with any electrical component, with time, temperature changes, and the elements their resistance value deteriorates. Eventualy this will cause the fault you are seeing from the PCM codes.

Sounds like you may have a bad O2 sensor or faulty connection to it based on the code 41. The PCM is not getting signal from it so it always thinks the fuel fixture is too lean...this will cause the PCM to increase the amount of fuel in the mixture and cause more idle problems not to mention REALLY bad gas mileage.

The converter clutch error could have been triggered by the other two problems since the PCM interprets information form every sensor simultaneously. If the PCM "thinks" the rpm's are too high or too low when its time to shift, it may trigger some fault codes. Make sure you don't have any stop lamps burned out or disconnected either...yeah, believe it or not, that can have an adverse affect on your idle.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 PM
ubermich
Senior User
@*@#%^@&$
Is it even possible to get to the TPS without pulling the whole throttle body??
Seriously, could they PUT the screw holding it in a worse place!?

Edit: I'm using this site because my Chilton isn't as helpful as I would want it to be (someday I'll be able to afford a shop manual... when I stop spending all my money on repairs!) http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_tools/article/0,2021,DIY_13698_2277828,00.html

Should that 5v show up reguardless of whether the truck is on? Edit, nm, got my 5v.

Last edited by ubermich; 09-09-2004 at 06:29 PM.