should I stroke it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
nitz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question should I stroke it?

I have a '92 F150 with a 5.8L that is getting tired. I am considering rebuilding my motor or going with a Ford factory high performance crate motor. Also, since I do a lot of towing with this truck (Colo. mnts.) I am thinking of going with a stroker motor for more grunt. I figure a motor in the range of 350-400HP/400-450trq should do the trick. Anyone have any experience with Ford P.N. M-6007-C351R,5.8L? It is supposed to develope 360HP/400trq. for $5400, that would fit the bill. Anyway this is my first Ford so I don't know if you can stroke a stock block, or if I need to buy an after market block? What about the trani, would a high performance rebuild be necessary? I'm running 4.10's w/ 33" BFG's, were could I get a ECM chip for my set up? Any input from you Ford high perfromance gurus out there would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Personally if I had the $5400 (suggested retail) to spend on that engine....I still wouldn't. Get in touch with a local machinist/ engine builder, ask around and see who's name keeps coming up...and comes highly recommended. Take a look at that persons shop...it shoud be clean...ask questions, if they refuse or stumble on one of your questions, or make it seem unimportant...leave.

You can stroke your stock engine. You can go 383/393/408.

Keep in mind that crate engine develops that hp and tq figure with a carb, you would need a chip from a reputable company or would need to have your truck tuned on a chassis dyno, to get anywhere near that.

REbuilding the trans is a good idea, but a stock rebuild with a towing shift kit and towing converter should be fine.

You won't need a "high performance" chip to add a stroker engine, you will need a chip that has been programmed with your specific engine/tranny combo, gearing and application.

Might wanna explore the machinist route first, it should be a lot cheaper than a crate engine, one reason, your gonna have to upgrade your injectors, throttle body and add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and possibly better fuel pump(s)...$$$ gonna add up real quick.

Keep it simple and you should be somewhat impressed. Install a stroker crank/pistons, get yourself a set of afr heads, larger injecotors/throttle body, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, get someone that can burn chips to tune it on the dyno, or at least dyno it and gather all the information and give it to a chip company so they can get you the right chip.

Who knows? Good luck

Last edited by jwtaylor; 09-02-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:47 PM
nitz
New User
Thanks JWT for the input. I'll concentrate my efforts on finding someone to build me a stroker motor out of what I already have. I can't wait to put some zip into this truck.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:29 PM
ga302p
Elder User
I would definitely not pay what Ford wants for that engine. Have it built local. Stroker would definitely fill the bill for what you are wanting to do with the truck. I also wouldnt worry too awful much about what the machine shop looks like. The guy who does my machine work, if I dont do it myself, Goes bear footed all year long. The shop is absolutely full of junk, and he drinks about 20 beers a day. When I first went to his shop, I was walking back out the door when my cousin said, "trust me, let him build you one engine." He builds engines that run with and sometimes outrun the engines built by the winston cup engine builders at the local dirt track. I guess what I am saying is dont let looks fool you.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:42 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jwtaylor
..... ask around and see who's name keeps coming up...and comes highly recommended. ...... if they refuse or stumble on one of your questions, or make it seem unimportant...leave.

There are some exceptions, being a rural resident, I can say there are quite a few "good ol' boy" exceptions around here. I think thats were the highly recommended part takes precedence. But if a person is just taking a shot a someone, then I would pay a whole lot of attention to how many engines the shop is selling and the conditon of the shop, if they can take the time to clean up when busy, then chances are they are taking the time to build your engine right. Whatever you do go in, informed about what you want and how it should be done, ask questions and if they stumble over the slightest thing, walk out....I was burned one time for giving someone the benefit of the doubt....in the end I received what I wanted but it was a lot of time and energy I would rather have spent on something else. Who knows?