1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tail Gate Chains or Inside Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tail Gate Chains or Inside Locks?

I don't get out much so what is the trend?

I like the chains but in using them, you cannot avoid chipping paint on the tail gates so who makes the best latches?

Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huntsman - I'll be interested in the other answers you get here too. I have been looking at different methods to support the gate for some time.
Like you, I don't plan to trash my paint job with the stock chains. The chains also are our gate latches, so get rid of chains, you got to come up with latches too.
At cruises and such, I have asked other Effie owners where they got their stuff and have gotten fuzzy answers like "Oh, anywhere", but I have no address for that place.
I have seen Hose sections or plastic tube over the stock chains, plastic-coated cables, toggle-style latches on the inside walls, pricey shock-style slides in polished aluminum, sheet metal fold-up gizmos, etc.
I am working on a design for hidden custom latch with hidden stays behind a smoothie gate panel that will entend out to the bed sides.
That's probably more than most want to do and I am still just in the thinking stages here.
Just please don't do what some guys do. They just bolt the gate to the bed side extensions. It doesn't open. I am surprised how many times I have seen that method on expensive trucks.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:27 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
"Just please don't do what some guys do. They just bolt the gate to the bed side extensions. It doesn't open. I am surprised how many times I have seen that method on expensive trucks."

Put me down for just bolting the gate to the side pockets. The gate sits still and centered. No paint chips, no wear marks on the pretty hinges. It;'s not for everybody.

I tried the other two methods Tom mentioned and didn't like them much. There are some nice latch/strap/pretty hinge methods on the market. Maybe some day. Didn't want to drop 200 bucks right now for everything. Didn't want to trash my paint again in the mean time.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Grumpy Gramps
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tailgate latches

I just ordered chrome tailgate latches from Macs Antique Auto in NY. $25.90 for a pair. They fit inside and should be neat. Mac's July 2004 catalog, page 38. How about what type of support cable to use when the gate is lowered????? Something from a later model pickup?? Any ideas?? How/where to mount??
Grumpy Gramps

Old 09-01-2004, 02:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I've seen several show trucks around here that used seat belt buckles and latches... weld the tongue to the gate, and the female piece to the bed. Kind of tough to get both undone at once, and I don't recall what they used to limit the drop of the gate, but folding solid arms would work.

-- Ross

Old 09-01-2004, 02:48 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
I think the latch would be the best, even with a coated chain it will damage the paint somewhat. IMO
Mike

Old 09-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the ones that Pros Pick sells, nylon buttons in the stake pockets into latches mounted on the tailgate. Nylon straps hold the gate up when down[huh?]. They are working fine to this point. 200 miles.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:45 PM
david fantini
Freshman User
tailgate supports

I have seen a set that were just two pieces of chrome flat stock hinged basicly like you would see on a mid 80's truck but they looked awesome.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:25 PM
don1077
Junior User
I went with chrome latches mounted to the rear pocket. and a good LIMBER chain passed through black shrink tube. Shrank the tube down over the chain. You about have to bend it by hand now but it doesn't chip paint and looks great. Costs about $5.00 per chain. Picture in my gallery by 8:00 eastern.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:21 PM
53Merc
Elder User
I just did mine 2 months ago...Used the aluminum slideer catches that you insert in the top tube of the tailgate. I used the Pro's Pic''s Black Nylon Staps and like the aesthetic as well as the use-"ability" of teh set up...mine ia a daily driver that occassionally has to work for it's diiner.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:18 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

The chains came w/ a rubber sleeve that covered them from the Factory originally, so that they would not scratch or chip the paint & they are still available through the suppliers of replacement parts for our trucks.

Cheers
Colonel Flashman
Red '58 Mercury M-100
Blue '58 Mercury M-100 Panel

Originally Posted by Huntsman
I don't get out much so what is the trend?

I like the chains but in using them, you cannot avoid chipping paint on the tail gates so who makes the best latches?

Old 09-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you all for the information provided, I see I have a little more research to do.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:21 PM
soupy264
Senior User
use garden hose sections to cover the chain. you can color coodinate tha covers too,and the bend easilly good luck Phil

Old 09-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Trader Bob
Senior User
For me its Chains, Vent Windows and Cowl Vent, all part of the classic look. The covers I got for may chain is nylon, which is used to cover rubber hose. Drys out fast, won't hold water. I got it from the "Hose Man" in Irwindale Calif. Bob

Old 09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
Guys, the chain covers do keep the scratchin down, but unless you were to chrome the latch levers, rings, and catch, there is still chipping and rusting there. Hey, why not fab in SS , use chains and be done with it? Bolting (!) it up sounds 'cootie-bobbed', preventing even carrying a beverage cooler and dropping the gate to sit and enjoy the cold one. I use mine to haul, but even the trailer queens gotta keep this truck feature!

Quick Reply: Tail Gate Chains or Inside Locks?