Trailer wiring harness kit??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:49 AM
ghettotruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer wiring harness kit??

All,

I will soon be the proud owner of a 1990 7.3L Crew Cab Dually with a gooseneck hitch built in. There are the remnants of the trailer wiring harness there but it is questionable whether it is still functional - it just doesn't look promising. There are loose wireing dangling down by the bumper for a regular trailer and there is a socket in the corner near the gate, I am assuming for the gooseneck. The previous owner advised me to go ahead and replace it.

Are there any wiring harness kits available that make replacing this simple? I could probably do it myself, just need to know the best way to go about this.

Thanks,
Carvel

Old 08-31-2004, 11:09 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
hoppy products makes some plug and play stuff

Old 08-31-2004, 04:33 PM
shorthair
Senior User
i think plug n play is only for lites no power or brakes

Old 09-01-2004, 04:29 AM
ditto
Senior User
u-haul has an easy harness- but i don't know if they sell it for brakes. it might be worth a phone call.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 AM
agr682
Freshman User
there not that tough to install, you can pick up the plug anywhere and get a diagram off of here and the rest is just matching colors.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:02 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't get anywhere when I asked around for my 1991. No connector for the brake controller plug under the dash. No connector for the plugs under the bumper. I haven't found where to plug in for fifth/gooseneck, haven't looked very hard. Factory wiring is there but I guess I have to cut into it.

I will look at hoppy and u-haul.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:07 AM
captjohn
Junior User
Here is a link for wiring up 7 pole connectors I used it when I wired mine in I have one in the bed up front for 5th wheel and one at bumper for tag along trailers. I did have to run a wire from the battery for charging system. Make sure you have a good ground if something isnt working check your grounds first on truck and trailer. This is not as easy as just pluging one in but the link makes it easy to figure out what is what in the wiring harness. good luck and it wont take long to hook up. http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Old 09-03-2004, 01:25 PM
BinderDan
Cross-Country
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Does anyone know if there was a factory option for trailer brake wiring? I have 3 mystery wires under my dash(Factory but been cut) that look a lot like i can hook up my brake controller to. I took a light tester, big one is hot, but cant get other two to do anything. No sence running new wiring unless i have to.
But as far as the lights go I just bought one of those kits that plug into the existing connectors for the tail lights(like $30 at NAPA) and cut 4-flat connector off and wired in to my 7-pole plug. Works great.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:27 PM
351M
Posting Guru
There are connector in by the tail light plugs for trailer harnesses, I think the brakes go through them too because ours has no other wires hooked in besides the factory plugs. And I am willing to bet that the wirs you found are for an electric brake controller. It looks like a factory wiring harness in our '90 too.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:39 PM
351M
Posting Guru
I just looked at the products from Hoppy and have to say that they are not what you want. There should be 2 grey plugs under your truck near the tail light plugs with caps on them, go to a wreckers and have a look under any and all '88-'97 F-250 or F-350s that you find with 7 way RV plugs, one of them should have the wiring you need.