2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 10:32 PM
JeepnAggie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rear Window Water Leak

Has anyone experienced water leaking at the top of the rear window. My 2004 FX4 SuperCrew has 5800 miles. When it rains, the water leaks from the top of the rear window and falls on top of the seat. I plan to take it to the dealer, but was wondering if anyone else experienced this problem?

Old 08-29-2004, 10:38 PM
n578md
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My co-worker's 04 F150 STX regular cab leaks from that area when it rains. The headliner is ruined. He says it's from the sliding window, at the top, but I think it comes from the stop lamp/cab light assembly that isn't sealing well because of the where the water has stained the headliner. We'll see who was right when he takes it in the shop.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:43 PM
JeepnAggie
Freshman User
My headliner doesn't get any water on it. My rear window is not a slider. It appears to drop directly from the top of the window and down. Somehow it misses the headliner. Everything in the middle of the rear seat gets wet. I feel like it is the rear cargo lamp not sealed off.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 PM
R K
New User
i have an 04 F150 . Just brought my truck in today to get waterleak fixed . I got a leak on rear window and my hole passenger side of the truck was filled with water, from front to rear . Carpet on left side soaked with water

Old 08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's the cab mounted brake light. It needs to be sealed. Had the problem, my neighbor had the problem. Sealing the light fixes the problem. When I brought it in the dealer commented he has fixed four in the last 2 days.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Arrgghh...sounds like an outbreak! Man..its threads like this that make me so happy I am part of this group. Its nice to know what to look for and how to handle it as soon as it happens. Thanks fellers!

T

Old 08-30-2004, 06:11 PM
76fordf100
Senior User
I had the same problem. It was the third brake light housing leaking. They have my new rear seat cover in, having it replaced this week. Luckily it wasnt ever bad enough to reach the floor, just stained the seat.

shane

Old 08-30-2004, 07:15 PM
mwh
Senior User
Why do some 3rd brake lights leak and others don't? Exactly what's the problem- is it a poor quality seal, poor design ( I've been told there are 3 large holes under the housing). The unit IS a catch-all for water, even the recessed screw holes face upwards. Why should something like this need to be sealed? It's new and supposedly well designed. Does everyone with new f-150's need to start sealing, and then what happens when the housing cover has to come off for bulb replacement?

Last edited by mwh; 08-30-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:06 PM
JeepnAggie
Freshman User
Talked to dealer today about the leak. He says they have seen a few. Told me he would order a whole new rear window and have it ready to be installed when I bring the truck in on Wednesday. Told him I figure it may be the cargo light. He said they would just have to look at it. I couldn't believe that they want to replace the rear window complete. Seems a waste. Lucky for me I have no water damage. My seats are the black sports leather so figure it is okay.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:54 PM
sukonds
Freshman User
the same thing happened to my 04 stx. i took it to get washed and when it came out of the machine , the back seat on the driver's side was soaked. i immediately to it back to the dealer and one day later i got it fixed. they even gave me a discount on a bedliner.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:28 PM
mwh
Senior User
Everybody seems to be aware of what's happening-I'm sure there are many like myself that would simply like to know the reasons why. Does anyone ask questions about what was done about this issue when they pick-up their truck after its been fixed?

Last edited by mwh; 08-30-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:44 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Personaly, think it is a lack of sealing at the factory

Old 08-31-2004, 11:21 AM
mlee52554
New User
Mine was also leaking around the upper brake light housing. The first time I washed my truck I noticed the water flowing easily under the edge of the cover. I thought to myself it would probably leak at some point if it wasn't sealed properly ... it did when we had our first really HARD rain about 2 weeks ago. I pulled off the cover and looked at it. The foam weather strip had been improperly installed...it was rolled over on the top edge of the cover so that it was not sandwiched between the cover and the lip of the opening. I peeled it off (very slowly so as not to rip it) and reapplied it in the correct place. I don't think it will stay and will probably buy a better grade of weather stripping and replace it all together.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:14 PM
mwh
Senior User
MLEE52554--I appreciate the details of what you found by disassembling your 3rd brake light. Improper installation causing misfit of weatherstripping is certainly an unfortunate reality-probably a widespread cause in this situation. To know and tell about a problem is one thing, but to know why there is a problem shows the ability to analyze and understand how things do or do not work. Did you notice (3) holes in the cab sheetmetal of an inch or so in dia. as reported on a previous post? Also, from what you said, I'm assuming that there is not a flat rubber gasket but some weatherseal material that is used around the edge of the cover. If this seal was properly installed originally do you feel this type of seal will continue to provide a good seal against water? As you can tell I haven't had to deal with this problem yet, but if I do, I'll be more knowledgeable about this, thanks to you. Other comments are welcome.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:44 AM
mlee52554
New User
MWH:

"Did you notice (3) holes in the cab sheetmetal of an inch or so in dia. as reported on a previous post?"

There are indeed 3 holes in the inner sheet metal... not obvious what they are there for...you can see the back surface of the headliner through them. I suspect that normally water would not find its way through these hole unless your truck is sitting at an angle...going downhill for example as I was when I noticed the leak (actually my kids noticed it - they were riding in the back during the storm where the leak occured) If the water only falls on sheet metal it probably has a better route to drain out somewhere else. But that probably means water was ALWAYS leaking in...it was just draining out without wetting my headliner or dripping into the cab.

"Also, from what you said, I'm assuming that there is not a flat rubber gasket but some weatherseal material that is used around the edge of the cover."

It IS a purpose specific, flat gasket but it is made of the same type of dense, compressable foam used in a lot of weather stripping products...not a "solid" rubber type gaslet. It has an adhesive backing and is stuck to the light / lensecover assembly.

"If this seal was properly installed originally do you feel this type of seal will continue to provide a good seal against water?"

My impression is that it was not properly installed to begin with. It seems like if it was the adhesive backing and the compression applied when the cover is installed would easily keep it in place and keep water out. If on the other hand it was not properly adhered to the cover it could easily be pushed out of position during assembly the way it was on my truck. I just inspected mine again - we had another hard rain last night - and I did NOT see any evidence that more water had leaked in...the headliner and inner sheet metal surfaces were dry.

BOTTOM LINE: I think if the gasket was properly installed to begin with it would have worked perfectly. I will probably ask my dealer for a replacement though since I had to stretch it to move it back in place. The seal is probably compromised with respect to the original design.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Water Leak