6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

California Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:25 PM
jswanitz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy California Trucks

Hi everyone,

I have been lingering on this board for quite a few months trying, like many, to gather as much info as possible about the super duty.

I intend on purchasing an 05 in the next few months(time to say goodbye to the Expy), and have been waffling between the PSD and V10. Now I have no intention of starting that war, so we won't go there, but I do want to ask what you all may know about any issues with either engine in trucks sold in California.

The reason I ask is that I have seen references to the EGR, and other items saying that as long as it isn't a Cali truck...

I know that all of the emission restrictions can really limit a motor, but what other specifics are there as far as problems on left coast trucks?

Thanks for the input!!

This is a tremendous site.

Jeff

Old 08-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I have had a CA truck since 03/03 and have had no problems with it.

I tow a pretty darn big trailer with it, and also use it as a daily driver.

The fuel mileage is much better than that of my '98 F-150 with the 5.4 l gas motor. I've spoke to a number of V10 owners and most are kicking themselves for not buying the 6.0 - especially when they hear about the kind of mileage that I'm getting.

The savings in fuel will pay for the difference in cost of the motors in time, plus the resale value of the diesel is higher.

Disconnecting the EGR does throw codes and turn on my check engine light. I have the Dec '03 CA emissions flash. I suspect that this won't just be a CA thing going forward.

Smog checks aren't required on CA diesels just yet where as they are for the V10. Another big plus in my book just for the time savings of going and having the truck smogged every year or every other year, not to mention the $$ for the check itself.

Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ALL our trucks have the EGR system...

the "as long as not Cali trucks" was a reference you gleaned from my post about disconnecting the EGR - if you disconnect on a Cali trucks it seems it will set a check engine light where none of the others will....

So California is "special".... in that regard as well

but other than that you'lll have to take Daryl's advice...

Old 08-26-2004, 03:10 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE jswanitz

If you have been mointoring FTE for a while you have probably seen me bring up the fact that another Republic of California 6.0 truck has been posted with problems.

Basically it is in jest. Generally however, there does seem to be a inordinate amount of CA trucks that have issues. Of course the population density level is signifiacntly higher than in other places also.

I believe that Ford has a flash specifically for CA designed engines. Lower sulpher content in diesel fuel related?...beats me.

Either engine should do just fine. Each will have pros and cons. An older, very dear friend of mine has a V-10 and he loves it. Typically drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Needs the power to haul cattle to the sale barn 3 - 4 times a year. MPG no an issue for him.

Good luck and hopefully your thread will not cease the cease fire.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
catrepair
Freshman User
I have an early 2003 that I love,the mechcanic I talked to said that the ca trucks show the engine light(he told me to disconnect egr.)he indicated no selective state tunes for the engines.I dont know though, the flash that was installed was called a emissions flash,go figure,I lost approx.4 to4.5 mpgs.burning more fuel from point a to b lowers emissions?That said I still wouldnt buy other brand

Old 08-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
The CA emissions flash was not a programming change in the tune of the motor. All it did was bring the diagnostic codes into spec compliance with some ?CA state? requirement for standard codes.

Didn't change the way the truck ran at all.

By the way, I noticed no change in performance and driveability when disconnecting the EGR valve control cable.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:36 PM
catrepair
Freshman User
My truck was flashed for an unstable idle, work order called it emissions recalibration. it changed the tow/haul mode, idle, power of the truck, the mechanic told me to unplug egr as new program brings egr on earlier,but as well I didnt feel any improvment .( recal.#03E03B)

Old 08-26-2004, 09:58 PM
wilba504
Senior User
My truck has the CA emissions. I've had no drivability problems with mine, only the turbo drone and rear main leak. just turned 10,500 miles tonite. Mileage is great 18 to 19.5. Buy the 05 PSD, you wont be disappointed. Take care, John

Last edited by wilba504; 08-26-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:44 PM
jswanitz
Freshman User
To all of you above that have responded: a very large and sincere Thank You!!!

This site is a tremendous resource!!!

My inclinations have been to go with the PSD over the V10 from the very beginning.

Darylhunter thank you for all of the wonderful points you made, especially all of the smog check points. I hadn't thought of that!

jdadamsjr: thank you for referencing your recent post about the egr. That's the one that sparked my thoughts on all of this.

kw5413: I love the 'Republic of California' reference. Couldn't agree more.
You are right that the incredible population density here may skew the numbers as far as CA appearing to have an innordinate amount of problems.

Thanks again to everyone.
The decision seems clear. (PSD)
Just need my dear wife to look the other way when I head to the dealership. She loves the Expy, but it's time has come.

Jeff

Old 08-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
To clarify a point that catrepair made. Each flash includes all of the previous flashes, so if your truck did not have the October flash which was the next most recent one before the December emissions then you will get everything that the October flash changed along with the emission code changes.

So before bringing in a truck to have it flashed for any reason, do a search and read up on what all the previous ones have done. There are links to a site that lists all the various posts and what each one changed.