Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Van rear door won't open!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM
jeffie_3
Junior User
jeffie_3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by EagleFreek View Post
I have experienced the dreaded cable failure also on a couple vans. I used them for work and was in and out of the doors multiple times a day. My most recent purchase had a broken door handle and cable issues. When I went to the salvage yard to get a handle, I went through several vans and almost every one had broken cable ends. Yes you can replace the cable, but with the same crappy plastic ends. The cable itself never seems to go bad. I don't know who came up with the design first, but this guy has a better design that you don't have to bend the lock to get the end in. Ford Door Lock Cable Repair Kit Econoline Left Cargo Door Side Rear 1992 2007 | eBay

Problem with the cam lock. It tends to vibrate loose in time. Bending the tab secures the part in the latch. So unless you bend it back and forth several times, it won't hurt it.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 PM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Jeffie sorry to say the eBay metrics about how many of these repair parts have been sold tends to be pretty much meaningless. As an example how big a problem this is not let's examine a few other things.........

That seller has but 614 total eBay transactions, supposedly having sold 160 of the kits they offer since 2012 I'm assuming---not quite an epidemic of failing cables is how I interpret those figures.

The thread was originally begun in 2004 and pretty much died---it was a non-issue at the time. Then we FF to 2013 and its resuscitated only to die out once again. It can't be left unsaid since FTE is one site where problems can be discussed and that in the time I've been a member here I cannot honestly recall more than a total of three threads dealing with this. Three threads over 4-5 years----not all that common.

Add in you had forgotten this very thread only reinforces how minor an occurrence failed cable ends or ferrules is when compared to the larger picture of the number of doors actually out in the world under daily use.

As I said before IF this happens to any one van owner then yes indeed its a problem---I'd hate to experience this. Repeating in all my time here I've rarely seen this topic posted which tells me its not as wide spread as hyperbole posted on eBay can mislead someone, especially someone looking for a problem that is quite rare.

So you guys can have this all to yourself and keep it alive if only to suit yourselves.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:52 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
EagleFreek is starting off with a positive reputation.
A guy on another site I'm on, just uses bicycle cable ends and says he gets a bag of 10 for $10-15 and they work perfect.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:18 AM
jr32560
Post Fiend
jr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jeffie_3 View Post
I got a note that a new post was made . Forgotten about the discussion. So after reading it again. It got me to thinking. JWA I have to disagree with you on this. It is still a problem. Sure there are new cables for $15 to $100 out there but they all still have the plastic ends. Using the metal replacement seems to be a good permanent replacement. And it just not in a few cases. I went to cherryboy.t ebay site. They have a map at the bottom of their page. It shows how many they have sold and where. They have close to 2000 sales worldwide. Each of the kits has between 4 and 8 ends. So if you average that out they have sold over 10,000 cable ends in a years time. Their numbers don't include all the cables that have been sold by many other vendors on ebay. It seems to be a real problem with the plastic ends.
man the help on those ends were a god send-all the ones I found at scrap yards were broken ends also great post~~~~the dorman replacement cables are not all that good -I've seen them fail a lot

Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Hal James
New User
Hal James is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found the post useful even now, several years later. I just bought an old E350 (2003) a week ago and yesterday the driver side rear door locked up.

The Ford dealer wants over $200 for the assembly, with labor on top of that.

Now I need to figure out how to take that rear panel off - won't be easy with an electric sofa in front of it (my vehicle is a Pleasure Way RV :-) but I'm sure I'll get there .

Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 PM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
jeffreyclay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Hal James View Post
I found the post useful even now, several years later. I just bought an old E350 (2003) a week ago and yesterday the driver side rear door locked up.

The Ford dealer wants over $200 for the assembly, with labor on top of that.

Now I need to figure out how to take that rear panel off - won't be easy with an electric sofa in front of it (my vehicle is a Pleasure Way RV :-) but I'm sure I'll get there .
I had to take care of my rear doors on my '94 conversion van last fall. I found the skinniest teenager on my street and had him climb over the sofa backrest and find a comfortable position on the 10" ledge. Talked him through it and we had the doors open in 10 minutes.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Hal James
New User
Hal James is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guess I'll head over to South Beach tomorrow and find myself a teenager :-)

Well, maybe not :-) But at least it sounds do-able.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM
strobewylan
New User
strobewylan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
This is quite an old thread, OP has probably already sold or scrapped that van!
Not all of us throw away stuff just cuz its old. I'm 65, ya gonna throw we and my 92 van away too?

Old 09-10-2017, 01:34 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yeah, I keep my woman and she's been with me for 20 years

Or is that the other way around?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:01 PM
jeffie_3
Junior User
jeffie_3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jeffie sorry to say the eBay metrics about how many of these repair parts have been sold tends to be pretty much meaningless. As an example how big a problem this is not let's examine a few other things.........

That seller has but 614 total eBay transactions, supposedly having sold 160 of the kits they offer since 2012 I'm assuming---not quite an epidemic of failing cables is how I interpret those figures.

The thread was originally begun in 2004 and pretty much died---it was a non-issue at the time. Then we FF to 2013 and its resuscitated only to die out once again. It can't be left unsaid since FTE is one site where problems can be discussed and that in the time I've been a member here I cannot honestly recall more than a total of three threads dealing with this. Three threads over 4-5 years----not all that common.

Add in you had forgotten this very thread only reinforces how minor an occurrence failed cable ends or ferrules is when compared to the larger picture of the number of doors actually out in the world under daily use.

As I said before IF this happens to any one van owner then yes indeed its a problem---I'd hate to experience this. Repeating in all my time here I've rarely seen this topic posted which tells me its not as wide spread as hyperbole posted on eBay can mislead someone, especially someone looking for a problem that is quite rare.

So you guys can have this all to yourself and keep it alive if only to suit yourselves.

It does seem to be a problem. Kristian over at Aseparts, Inc.. Just on ebay alone, over the past 2 years, has sold 10's of thousand of these. They also sell many of these to auto repair shops directly. She even had to expand her shop and add a few more machines. Kind of shocking on how many she has sold.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Jeffie while I personally appreciate your being helpful posting the same video link to long ago dead threads is a bit much. Looking at the date of last reply before your own its easy to see this issue of failing door latch cables isn't a recurring thing.

Granted there are/were a few years where this was a problem but its extremely rare these days. Even at that there are many affordable replacement service parts available, easily refitted without a lot of tinkering just to save a very few dollars.

Thanks for the diligence but do consider the last date of reply when a thread was active before updating it.
Speak for yourself. I coulda used the info in this thread just a month ago when the cable ends in the rear door in my 96 E150 went south. This is also a recurring problem in the rear doors in the F series supercabs. I've had the same cable problems in both a 95 F150 and my 99 SD F250. Also know of a couple more SD's with the same problem. So it's not a rare occurance.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:07 AM
strobewylan
New User
strobewylan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

Well, today a buddy of mine (young guy) noticed that the rear doors were slightly out of alignment. We set them and guess what? problem solved. Guess I won't have to throw away the old.......truck after-all

Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 AM
jimbomitch
Senior User
jimbomitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, it finally happened, my Baby Doll turned 25 this year and I went to open the rear door last week and guess what? Yup, won't open, haven't tried from the inside yet because I can't reach it (I'm in a wheelchair). Waiting to recruit a friend to try it. I have a spare van so it's not anything urgent, but I think it's safe to say if you have an older van you can expect this to happen.
I did a quick search and found this thread, so I figured I continue it to help inform others. Because it can happen at the worst possible time. If my door doesn't open from the inside this will turn into a PIA because the van has a back seat close to the doors.
I'll update the outcome as the repair progresses.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can expect the plastic cable ends to start breaking at about 10 years of age. I replaced all of mine as they broke one after the other over a couple of years.

You can buy new cables form Ford but they are expensive and typically come with the latch assembly, fortunately, Dorman now makes replacement cables. I was able to buy them off Rockauto.com

Old 05-07-2018, 03:05 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
jimbomitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
You can expect the plastic cable ends to start breaking at about 10 years of age. I replaced all of mine as they broke one after the other over a couple of years.

You can buy new cables form Ford but they are expensive and typically come with the latch assembly, fortunately, Dorman now makes replacement cables. I was able to buy them off Rockauto.com
From what I've gleaned in my research, these are the cure: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-For-Ford-F-Series-Cab-Rear-Door-Latch-Cable-Repair-F150-F250-F350-Kit-New/232430065970?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

Once I get access to the assembly, that is. Had a friend stop by to reach over the back seat to try to open the door. I explained where the inside handle was located and he said there was none. The van conversion company upholstered over it! Not off to a good start.

Edit to add that I very seldom open the rear doors, maybe 10 times per year. So it can be safe to assume this is age related.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Van rear door won't open!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.