02 Ranger 4.0 SOHC Auto Rough Transmission Gear Selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:43 AM
abonino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Ranger 4.0 SOHC Auto Rough Transmission Gear Selection

Greetings all.

I have a 4.0 SOHC 5 speed automatic. It has 9k miles, and is still under warrantee. My problem is a harsh lunge or lurch when shifting from Park to Drive, or from Reverse to Drive (similiar to an older car, where the idle speed is set too high). By way of comparison, I also have a 99 Explorer, with the 4.0 SOHC & five speed, and it shifts from P to D to R seamlessly (ie no lunging or lurching)

I've brought it in once, and the dealer performed the fix referenced in other threads, that is, they replaced the drive shaft. However, the problem remains. Before I bring it to the dealer again, I thought I would check here to see if anyone has heard of, or experienced the same problem. (I've searched previous threads, and only found the clunking problem related to the drive shaft).

thanks in advance!
Alex

Old 08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Consider the transfer case rear flange/yoke, it was a problem on some of the '90's Rangers, maybe you have something like that going on:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...&postcount=116

Old 08-17-2004, 07:14 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Abonino is your ride 4x2 or 4x4????

Any up or down shift roughness????

Is the fluid level ok????

Does the idle speed seem to be ok??

Is it doing this at all engine temperatures????

Has it always done this, or did it just suddenly begin, if the latter, what event preceeded it's beginning????

I too have the 5 spd auto in my 99 4x2.
It's a very smooth shifting tranny. I've not had any shifting problems in 41K, so what you describe isn't "normal" by any definition from my experience with this tranny.

The only negative I've had with it was the tranny leaking fluid when I got it home. (I always keep a close check on a new vehicles fluids, until I get a warm fuzzy feeling everythings ok.)

The pan bolts hadn't been properly torqued up. Been fine since.

I'd suspect incorrect idle speed for some reason, or the line pressure is screwd up for some reason, or a sticky shift solenoid.

Did the dealer check the idle speed & the tranny's line pressure????

Old 08-17-2004, 10:00 AM
abonino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks much for the responses, guys!

Originally Posted by pawpaw
Abonino is your ride 4x2 or 4x4???? Its a 4X2

Any up or down shift roughness???? Occasionally, it does exhibit a slight (soft) Clunk in Drive when accelerating mildly from a stop
Is the fluid level ok???? Duh......good question...believe it or not, since its relatively new, with low milage I hadn't bothered to check. Will do so, however.
Does the idle speed seem to be ok?? It seems high, and is definitely higher than the 4.0 SOHC on my 99 Explorer. Tends to vary a bit, but goes as high as 1000 - 1100. Not sure what the correct Ford specified idle speed is, however.Is it doing this at all engine temperatures???? Yes

Has it always done this, or did it just suddenly begin, if the latter, what event preceeded it's beginning???? Been doing it for over a year, which is why I had in once, which is when the dealer replaced the drive shaft. Don't recall any "event" that preceeded the problem.

I too have the 5 spd auto in my 99 4x2.
It's a very smooth shifting tranny. I've not had any shifting problems in 41K, so what you describe isn't "normal" by any definition from my experience with this tranny.

The only negative I've had with it was the tranny leaking fluid when I got it home. (I always keep a close check on a new vehicles fluids, until I get a warm fuzzy feeling everythings ok.)

The pan bolts hadn't been properly torqued up. Been fine since.

I'd suspect incorrect idle speed for some reason, or the line pressure is screwd up for some reason, or a sticky shift solenoid.

Did the dealer check the idle speed & the tranny's line pressure???? Good suggestion. I will ask that this be done when I bring it in.
Again, thanks for taking the time to respond!
Alex