Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Key Fob programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM
allnpo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help ford explorer engine immobilised -remote missing

hello i am in london england and happy to have found this forum.

I just bought a 1997 ford explorer that came with only one remote. This remote has gone missing and i am not able to start vehicle because the engine is immobilised.

Now, i been reading postings on how to program a new remote. If i follow these steps ( off -on x8 times ) and program a blank remote, will the newly programmed remote mobilise engine and make it start when i turn the key? You advise will be appreciated

Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

A missing remote will not immobilize the engine. By chance is the "Theft" or "Security" indicator flashing rapidly when you try to start the engine? If so, that's detecting an issue with the Passive Anti-Theft Security (PATS) system. That issue could be due to transponder keys that are not programmed or possibly an issue with the PATS system itself. If the light does not flash rapidly, then the problem may be with the starting, ignition, or fuel system.

By "immobilized" what do you mean? Does the starter turn the engine over but it never starts, do you just get a single click when turning the key to start? Do you have the tools to check for fuel pressure, battery voltage, and ignition spark?

-Rod

Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 AM
allnpo
New User
My engine immobiliser activates itself after 2 minutes of no activity whether doors are locked or unlocked. This means the key will turn but the engine will not start.

The only thing that seem to unlock engine is to press lock and then unlock on the remote -this will close and open doors as well. Locking and unlocking doors remotely has some connection with unlocking engine so i assume i need to program a blank key fob/remote

The alarm system is off at the moment because i did not close vehicle prior to misplacing remote. spark plugs and fuel pressure are fine. theft or security feature not flashing

So again to my earlier question... any chance a newly programmed remote will open the engine or is there any way to completely disarm the engine immobiser

thanks for your comments

Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
So, for your earlier question, the first sentence of the second paragraph above applies, assuming the security system you are referencing is a factory system. Based on how you believe it functions currently, I'm suspecting it's not a factory since the factory system does not immobilize the engine, that's only done through the transponder key.

-Rod

Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 AM
hobbs1469
New User
[quote=96explorereddieb;191433]If you're talking about the remote entry, here's the procedure:

1.) Gather all your remotes, b/c you're programming a brand new code to the remotes

2.) Make sure all doors and liftgate/window are completely shut

3.) Place your key into the ignition then cycle it from "off" to "on" 8 times, ending on the "On" position, if this is done correctly, the doors locks should lock then unlock.

4.) After the "lock confirmation," press any button on the remote. Once you did that, the door locks should lock, then unlock. Continue this with the rest of the remotes.

5.) Turn the ignition off and try the remotes out. If one of them doesn't work, repeat steps 1-4.

I get to #4 above, but the locks DO NOT react to pressing of the new remotes. I have tried several times to no avail. The original remote works fine, but not the new ones. FWIW, I have (2) new remotes becuase the old ones have broken where the key ring is attached. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2001 250 Superduty.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
If all you're really after is to get the good key ring, why not just swap the internals from the old programmed remotes to the new remote frames?

-Rod

Old 07-23-2011, 11:11 AM
CTYankee
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Remember, folks, that the key starts in the "Lock" position. You need to turn it one position forward to "Off" and then cycle from "Off" to "On" 8 times. If you go all the way back to "Lock", the sequence won't work.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Nightrider41
Freshman User
Amazing

I was just randomly surfing the net' a few minutes ago and came upon this thread. About a year ago my wife stated that the remote for her then, mine now 98 Explorer quit working. So I replaced the battery and found that it still didn't work. No biggie. I was happy to have a big persons vehicle compared to the Storms I routinely drive for gas mileage. So I go outside a moment ago and check to see if I can program the remote that has been sitting in the console for the last year.
Ta-da!

It works.

Thanks again guys.
It makes me mad that my local dealer wants $35 bucks to do this procedure. Is the sequence the same for 2006 year models?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:18 PM
yode24
New User
so I bought an oem key fob for my ford explorer sport 2003, and I followed the instructions but I cannot simply get it into the "programming" mode. I unlock the doors when im inside with the switch on the door panel, and I put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "Off" position. Then turn it to the ON and repeat that 8 times. The lock-unlock sequence never occurs which is the indicator that tells you it is in programming mode. I've seen videos for this and one thing my car does that is different than the others is that it locks automatically when i turn it into the on position. Is this normal? and does it affect the programming feature? I've been trying different things like turning it from the "lock" position to on which is the position that the key is in right when you insert it, and it still won't go into programming mode. Can someone please help? I've been remoteless for awhile now and it is very frustrating!

edit: I figured out that is is autolock that is locking my doors automatically when i turn the ignition to the 'on' position. I looked at the instructions to turn autolock off and autolock is not disabling. It says to turn the ignition to ON and press unlock 3 times, then turn it to OFF and press unlock 3 times, then turn it back on. It should make a chirp to notify it is in that mode but it doesn't make any noise... does anyone know what is wrong?