2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help preventing dealer flash...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 12:40 PM
2004REDFX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help preventing dealer flash...

Hello!
I am new to these forums and love the information here. I wanted to know if there is anyway to prevent the dealership from flashing the computer if it does'nt need it? Is there a law or something saying that they need your permission first? I have a 2004 Ford FX4 with the 5.4L engine. The reason I am asking is I recently had a 2001 Dodge Ram and the dealer gave it the "Death Flash", as it is so often called, and the performance sucked. I used a Hypertech programmer and then it developed issues there too. I would also recommend against anyone getting a Hypertech, as they offer no help or even care about your problems caused by their programmer. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 08-08-2004, 04:36 PM
subliminaldanger
Elder User
In my expericnce with the dealers around me, they wont reflash the truck unless you demand it. Just tell them not to reflash it and then they shouldn't.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:10 PM
asinatra
Senior User
Pretty much everyone here is happy with the flash ver. they have gotten (we've had to ask for the computer to be flashed), ive seen better mpg and throttle response.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:36 AM
RC51Mike
New User
I have the opposite problem

MY dealer adamantly refuses to reflash the PCM unless he feels the surge or hesitation himself, which of course, does not do it all the time. Also, is going to do the ring and pinion but will not do the clutch pack unless he feels the turning-while-moving-from-stop shudder/vibration.

Love the truck, can somewhat accept new vehicle glitches but hate the Dealer service attitude.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:23 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
It is your truck, and only you can authorize what work you want done to it.

As a safety measure you could put some tape over the plug-in, or a note, or splice some quick-connects into the harness and remove the plug. Make sure it gets on the work order too. They'll get the hint.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Troll45
Senior User
Well 2004REDFX4 The only reason a dealer, would have any reason to reprogram the PCM in your vehicle, is if you brought it in for a driveability, transmission, or emission control related concern that required the reprogram. They are not going to just reprogram it for the fun of it. But hey, if your vehicle starts acting up and the only fix is a reprogram and you deny them to do the work on it, you are gonna be stuck with a vehicle that doesent run correctly. In that case why even bring it in to the dealer. But seriously though, I have reprogrammed hundreds of PCM's on gas engines,(I have heard bad things about diesel reprograms) and there may be only a few cases in which performance decreased where a customer would notice. I have reprogrammed the PCM on my F150 myself and havent noticed any difference in power or performance. I dont have any experience with Dodge products or aftermarket products such as Hypertech Programmers, but i have heard from most people that Ford electronics are better than almost all other manufacturers out there.
As for RC51MIKE, I would take it back to your's or another dealer and ask them to run an Oasis on it with the symptom codes that relate to the concern you are having to see if there are any related TSB's for your concern that requires a reprogram. If they bring your vehicle in and hook it up to the WDS (Diagnostic Computer) and try and diagnose it and then fail to check and reprogram it to the latest calibration if there is one available, then they are just braindead. Sorry CruelCrew, but I have never had to ask an owner if it was OK to reprogram their PCM. Maybe I should, but most times the customer would be upset if didnt try everything in my power to fix their vehicle in a timely manner. If the available info that is given to me by Ford says to reprogram the PCM. Then thats what I'm gonna do, no questions asked, as long as it is under warranty. But you are right, if a customer tells me not to reprogram their PCM while its in for a driveability concern, Ill check the oil and air in their tires (but not adjust) and send them on their way.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 AM
RC51Mike
New User
Thanks Troll45. Not to hijack the thread, but mine will sometimes surge 2 or 3 times on the gas after it's warm but sitting for about an hour. Will also, sometimes, hesitate for about a second on the gas from a dead stop, especially when reversing- scared the heck out of my wife when she was backing up to my trailer. In a tight spot, it gets your attention. Others have reported similar behavior. Service "advisor" says he needs to experience it himself in order to attempt to fix.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:28 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your experience at the dealers you've worked for may be different, but there are dealers out there that do update PCMs without notice. I've had customers who have taken their vehicles in for non-related items and come back with their PCM overwritten with a new code. You can also find many people with 6.0L diesels who can vouch for the same kind of treatment. Ford reflashed many PCMs to disable pilot injection rather than fix the real problem (bad injectors), taking away a feature people paid for.

Old 08-13-2004, 04:22 PM
masssheltie
New User
I noticed the surging as well. Truck is hot, and then sits for 15 min to an hour. Restarting and giving it a very small amount of gas causes the engine to surge up and down for about five seconds or so. Doesn't happen all the time. I didn't think to be concerned about it.

Chris

Old 08-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Boneman
New User
Does anyone have info on what Ford is changing in new software? How about versions? It would be nice if these things were published... Maybe they are and I don't know where to find them. I personally am a computer network guy and I don't apply a new version of code to a router unless I know what bugs I am fixing from the previous version. Cisco even has something called a "bug tooklit" that lets you search for feature set and related bugs to find a version that fits your needs.

I know this is way more than what makes sense for a truck but I would like to be educated when driving into the dealer. Experience tells me they often are not up to speed on these things.