6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fall brawl

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 05:44 AM
Randy McB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall brawl

To any one with in driving distance of south central PA There is a dyno shoot out in the Harrisburg Pa area I think Oct. 9 and 10. This is a T D R ( cummins) event but all makes are welcome. I have attended the last two years and had a lot of fun. Most of the fords were only putting down 400 to 500 lb ft of tq at the rear wheels. I know now that the 6.0 has been vastly improved in the last year so I would like to show the dodge guys where we stand. Most of the cummins, with intake, exhaust and box areputting down high 600 lb ft of tq. The winner last year w/nitros and many other mods was well over 800 hp and 1700 lb ft of tq. That is not a typo. Is any one out there close to this? I help sponser ( donate ) money for the trophys so I would luv to see a ford take at least one of the prizes. Any one out there doing any thing with twin turbos yet? Hope to hear back from anyone interested in attending.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we had a similar event back in May....
http://www.northtexaspowerstrokes.co...0515_dyno_day/
the older Dodges have had a lot of "playing time" and have a leg up on us with the mod picture...
One twin turbo dodge exceeded the dyno's 1200 lbft maximum....
the highest 6.0 was Choctaw Bob's with 387 HP and 728 lbft or thereabouts...
but none of the Fords had been tweaked as much....

I venture to guess that most of the 6-oh's are daily drivers and I for one like to tweak it a bit with the predator, but not to the point of making it regularly undriveable

Here's my Ex hooked up:
http://www.northtexaspowerstrokes.co.../MVC-416X.html
Made 411HP the first run !!!!
NTP president said "What the heck you got on that thing?"
after second run of 375HP we found out it was an dyno operator error
but ddn't matter what it measured...
I just like the butt-o-meter feel of the beast ---
I call it the "Predator Grin"

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 08-06-2004 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Randy McB
Freshman User
Sorryit took so long to get back, I had to work today. It seems by the # we are pretty close with minor add ons.I am having gauges put in on tue and hopefully exhaust on a week or two. I would really like to crack 700 on the tq meter. I know you loose power w the auto, anyone know about what % of loss? I also need to keep my truck civil for towing and as my pleasure vehicle and keeping the warranty is very important. F Y I the guy who wins the fall brawl does drive his truck every day, he is a pilot ( big jets) and can afford the 30 plus grand he has in the motor. It is impressive to see the ENTIRE sky fill up with soot when he dynos. There also seems to be alot more available for the cummins, injectors of various sizes, twin turbo kits etc. I am sure in time the aftermarket will bring these things to us. I would also like to here if any one from the PA area is thinking of attending. And it is Oct. 9 and 10

Old 08-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
Somewhat along this line:

I used to live beside a fellow that raced the bobtail tractors...back when that was popular. Talk about sinking some money in a engine?? Most of these fellows had a little something more than just a 5.9. (GRIN). The Cat diesels could't copmete, 'cause they were way too heavy up front...steering problems. (Pushing like a dump truck in the turns?)

Cummins (like he ran) had a big advantage cause they specialize so much in mods to their various areas for specialized applications. For instance, he said the only turbo they could keep in it, was one specifically made for marine applications. (Tug boats, I think.)

All I can say is you should have heard and seen that straight-piped bobtail run. Believe it or not, he had an exaust brake on her. Let me tell you, when he was running about 120 down the road an hit that brake, it sounded like the world was going to come apart!

Do a little research on the 5.9 and find out what the figures are for hot marine 5.9. (Might supprise you....and you know, most parts will bolt onto street 5.9 block!)

He finally brought that Bobtail back from Darlington Raceway on a flat-bed with the front end all torn up from a wreck there and put it out to pasture. That was the end of that...(guess it costs too much money to straighten that kind of frame!....Not to mention the tires!)

That straight six 5.9 provides a lot of under-hood space to toy with pipes, turbos and the like. JMHO.

No stock 6.0 will be embarrased by any stock Cummins or Duramax when it comes to getting the job done. There is a whole lot more to a truck that just horsepower and torque. That's why you see so many Super Duties on the toughest job sites.

(If I got into serious pullin, I guess it'd have to be in something along the line of lawn tractors or wheelchairs...due to budget constraints. ....meanwhile, I'll just have to be happy with my stock '04 6.0.)

Nevertheless, there, is something in a person who has more money than sense that deserves admiration. Or at least I used to think so.... That was back before TYCO anyway.

Sorry to rant!