6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stacking Three Chips In A 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:22 PM
PAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacking Three Chips In A 6.0L

Has anyone stacked three chips/programmers in a 6.0L yet? After reading about all of them, I think it can be done. Bully Dog, Predator, Edge. I have a six gun now and rode in a truck with an edge a couple of days ago, and even though the banks is advertised as more power, its not! The edge runs better. If the bully dog does not plug into the map sensor, I think it can be done. All this talk about people worrying about there torque shift holding the power makes me glas I went with a six speed.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:27 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would GUESS that if you stacked three or more fueling boxes your engine may last that many seconds

I'm not gonna try it - but let us know how it does

Old 07-27-2004, 10:34 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PAN
Has anyone stacked three chips/programmers in a 6.0L yet? After reading about all of them, I think it can be done. Bully Dog, Predator, Edge. I have a six gun now and rode in a truck with an edge a couple of days ago, and even though the banks is advertised as more power, its not! The edge runs better. If the bully dog does not plug into the map sensor, I think it can be done. All this talk about people worrying about there torque shift holding the power makes me glas I went with a six speed.
Woah Three chips? Thats suicide. The timing would be farrrrr too advanced. You would need a custom burned chip for the 3rd that does nothing other than add to the fuel pulsewidth (more fuel) and the only way to get enough air to burn this is either nitrous oxide or more boost (bigger turbo, twin turbo, water/methanol injection) which is suicide the the second exponent, on stock motor components.

By the way, a second chip over a primary one will net you about 30 additional horsepower. A third will be somewere in the 15 range.

If you are needing this much power, you need to go see a full blown diesel performance shop.

For the power level you are wanting, you are going to need at LEAST the following---
A full blown transmission rebuild
A set of either o-rings, c-rings, or fire rings (on the heads)
A set of head studs
A set of main studs
A set of larger/modified injectors
Either a second or larger turbocharger (you will lose the EVRT feature)
And highly recommended would be ceramic coating of the combustion chamber, valve seats, exhaust valve stems, and exhaust ports.

You better be ready to dish out some serious $$$

If you would like any more info, feel free to send me a PM or email.

Just as a piece of information, the clutch in the 6 speed will hold less overall torque that the torque converter and clutch packs in the automatic.

Last edited by PSD 60L Fx4; 07-27-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:40 PM
PAN
Senior User
LOL. I don't want to do it to my truck. The only mod I would ever make is going from a six gun to an edge. I don't want to fry my motor like someone else I know will one day. I don't know exactly what he/she has, nor would I tell if I did know, but I do know he has 3 chips. I don't know what kind either. I have seen the truck perform while pulling the sled, and anyone would be impressed.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:57 PM
tsheriff
Elder User
I know its possible to stack some boxes. Some do things other dont, they git there power diffent ways. You could find a box that does timming,on for fuel and one for boost. Ive seen those cummins boys stacking two or three around here. My cousin has a tst on his cummins and he is buying an edge box to stack. Ive seen some wicked duramaxes with three, You just got to know the combination

Old 07-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PAN
Thr torqshift can handle 1200 ft lbs, in an empty truck.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:42 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
i have seen a lot of diesel trucks pull, and none have been too impressive yet. i would love to see a real diesel in a pickup. put in a 466IH or a 504.... then ull be impressed.

most people are only impressed with the smoke show, and thats the only outcome of stacking boxes, other than washed down cylinders.

by the way....i build em.... and ive yet to see a stock turbo'd diesel make much power.

the 6.0's are impressive tho but no match for a twins setup on a dodger

Last edited by bighoss550; 07-30-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:14 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah Big....
gotta give it to the dodge with twins - thie dude had a tricked out one with twins and did 782 HP and OVER 1200 ftlb... (the dyno wouldn't measure any more than that !)

but that's the guys that REALLY put some money into them - not like us itty bitty predator owners...
(after all, they have to spend enough for you to afford to get your 550, right ?!?)

Old 07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Yeah Big....
gotta give it to the dodge with twins - thie dude had a tricked out one with twins and did 782 HP and OVER 1200 ftlb... (the dyno wouldn't measure any more than that !)

but that's the guys that REALLY put some money into them - not like us itty bitty predator owners...
(after all, they have to spend enough for you to afford to get your 550, right ?!?)
haha, ya i guess u could look at it like that

Old 07-30-2004, 10:40 PM
tsheriff
Elder User
ive seen a guy put an dt466 in an late 90's ford 1 ton. Nobody will let him pull the last time i saw it he could barly keep it on the track. the sled hit him when he jamed on the brakes at over 350ft.