Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

EGR Valve Position Sensor vs. DPFE Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 10:53 PM
Jboatrig
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-22-2002, 04:20 PM
emftmerc
New User

I have a 96 Explorer XLT 5.0L. Can someone please tell me if the EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor is the same as the DPFE Sensor? Also, can someone tell me exactly where the EGR Valve and the EVP Sensor are on my car? My check engine light has been on for quite a while--with an EGR problem code (forgot which one)--and I would like to clean or replace them and the hoses, but I still haven't been able to find them easily. Do I have to remove anything to find them or can I get to them fairly easily?

Help.

Old 03-24-2002, 10:38 PM
Dialtone
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Mar-02 AT 11:44 PM (EST)]In ref. to your question, Yes...DFPE sensor performes same basic function as EGR position sensor but in a slightly different way.
EGR position sensor was basically a step type resistor that measured the egr valve position travel. DFPE measures a pressure differential developed by the amount of EGR valve opening.
Not sure about EGR location on 5.0 but on a mid 90's 3.8V6, it is located towards the rear of the intake section. To find it, look for a metal pipe about 3/4 inch diameter that screws into one of the exhaust manifolds and runs up the backside of the engine and screws into somethng on the intake of the engine. This should be the EGR valve. The DFPE sensor should attach to the EGR circuit with a couple of small vacuum type hoses, basically across the inlet and output of the EGR valve. It will probably have a 3-4 wire connector harness connecting to it.
Be sure to check the small feed tube to the sensor for blockage. It can carbon up and mimic the symptoms of a defective sensor by blocking exhaust gas pressure to the sensor.

Hope this is of some help. I know it is not specific to the 5.0 but should be basically the same general idea.
Dialtone

Old 03-25-2002, 08:54 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on which 5.0 you have, the positions of the EGR are close, but they are 2 different units. Look on the back of the upper plenum. You will either see a round aluminum item with an orange/red plunger in it that bolts to the 90 degree elbow, or you will see a plate that bolts to the upper plenum itself. The round aluminum one is the EGR Valve for that model. If it has the plate bolted directly to the plenum, that will be the backpressure transducer.

On both models, you will see a round black plastic cylinder unit. That is the EGR solenoid. There will be 2 tubes on it - one to the upper plenum and fuel regulator, and the other to either the EGR Valve or the backpressure trnsducer.

Either one you have, they are hard to see. They are on the back, and hard to work on. Mine had the EGR Valve on the elobw, and it was tight to get on/off. If you need anything just yell...

Good Luck!!!

Old 04-04-2002, 08:24 AM
emftmerc
New User

CobraXP,

Thanks for the message. It helped me much. I have the EGR Valve with the red plunger inside which is connected to EGR solenoid via one tube and to the fuel regulator via the other tube. I guess I am to assume that there is no DPFE sensor in my car. I removed the EGR solenoid so I could actually get to the EGR Valve, but I didn't remove it. I disconnected the tube between the EGR Valve and the EGR solenoid and cleaned it out and have reconnected the solenoid and the tubes. I thought I had disconnected my battery long enough to clear the check engine light, but it stayed on at first startup. However, it turned off and has been off for a day now. This is the first time it has turned off for a month or so. I am hoping that the problem is now fixed, but we'll have to see. I guess if it comes back on, I probably have to remove/clean/replace the EGR Valve? I hope I don't have to, it is quite tight to get to even after taking off the EGR solenoid. I'll keep you posted on my check engine light. Any further advice? Thanks.

Old 04-04-2002, 02:15 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro

There is not a backpressure transducer sensor on your model. It took me a long time to get the EGR valve off the first time I did it. A lot of twisting and turning, sitting on the motor, cussing...

The best way I have found to clean it is with a good carb cleaner, a toothbrush, and some q-tips. You also want to run the q-tip into the hole on the back of the elbow. I found the easiest way to get it taken apart is to take the elbow off, then the EGR valve, and work on it this way. Made things ALOT easier. Just be careful and try not to break the gasket in between the elbow and the upper plenum.

Good Luck !!!

Old 04-04-2002, 02:37 PM
emftmerc
New User

Well, it didn't take long for my Check Engine Light to come on, so I guess I will now remove the solenoid, hoses, and EGR valve and try to clean them all before I determine if I need a new EGR valve. Is there any way I can determine if the problem is with the solenoid and is there a way I can clean the solenoid as well? I am not looking forward to removing the EGR valve. It was a real pain just to get a good look at it. Have you replaced your EGR valve because I have had a hard time finding the part online (I live in Belgium, so I can't run down the street to DAP or Autozone). The Ford OEM part # is F67E-6F483-A2C, but I can't find that reference anywhere. Can you help me on this one, in case I reach that point? Thanks again. This is a great forum.

Old 04-04-2002, 05:12 PM
75SuperCab
Junior User

Try bartowford.com for price & availability. They were low responder to my inquiries about an EGR valve for my Bronco. They quoted $99.xx vs. $135-$139 (i.e., list) from most of the others. Good luck.

John

Old 04-04-2002, 10:27 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro

You can try cleaning the EGR Valve itself, but I had to replace mine. I tried to clean it 2 times before finally breaking down and buying one. I don't know about there, but if you need a place to get one - call Rusty at 770.968.3412. He can get you any part you need. He is a good friend of mine, and has started a parts site at:

www.fordpartsfast.com

Another place to check would be:

www.fordpartsnetwork.com

Rusty supplies the parts for that site also.

Hope you get the light off !!

Last edited by CobraXP; 07-25-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:41 PM
SpeedracerGF
Freshman User

Cobra is right in his answer for where the location is. It is about $129 at the Ford dealer. You can probably jus clean it It`s a pain to get to, I loosened my whole air intake plenum to work on it , it`s on the back side air intake system.