1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Rust mobile

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:59 PM
99questions
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rust mobile

I recently was hit by a lady in a small car that ran down my passenger side running board and wrinkled the bottom of my doors pretty bad. It is in for repair now, but going over it when it was hit, I noticed a lot of rust inside all of my doors on the bottom portion. It looks like moisture and salt must get trapped under the door. There is no rust outside anywhere. Has anyone ever experience this? It is a 99, which I bought as a brand new left over in Jan. of 2000. Does any one know of any warranty that may be used for this. I have owned the truck just over 4 years, something isn't right! Any help appreciated. The Ford dealer isn't any help or the colision repair people, I think they just want their money.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:25 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The warranty would be for rust through perforation, not surface rust.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:40 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Common Expy problem in the salt belt. I'm fastidious about washing my truck, particularly during the winter salt season. Still, I have some surface rust along the flange where the lower edge of the exterior door skin fits over the inner shell. Either torment the dealer to grind the rust away, prime and repaint, or open your wallet and have it done before the rust perforates the area. Make a point to keep the area waxed on a regular basis.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:55 AM
ppo2
Senior User
I Feel Your Pain

I too have a 99 Expy with the same rust problems in exactly the same area you had just described. I've cleaned it up some and applied rust inhibitor just this past weekend. Just thankful mine did not go through the door. I'm having it looked and and fixed/painted before winter.

Yup, all 4 doors. Funny, my 92 Explorer also has rust problems around the rear fender and just below the rear door panels. Expy's got to go in first...she's my baby

Good luck.

Drive Safe,
Dan

Old 07-21-2004, 06:43 AM
willi
New User
I have a 2000 expy and noticed the same problem about a month ago. I am going to get an estimate from a body guy in the near future. Then I will take your advice and keep a good coat of wax on the area.

Pat

Old 07-21-2004, 10:13 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Article No.
01-9-8 a.. BODY - CORROSION AT BOTTOM OF DOOR OR TAILGATE AT HEM FLANGE - REPAIR PROCEDURES

Publication Date: MAY 7, 2001

FORD: 1997-2001 F-150, F-250 LD

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit corrosion at the hem flange at the bottom of any door/tailgate where the outer panel is folded over the inner panel. This may be caused by the adhesive absorbing water during the production process.

ACTION:
Repair corrosion at hem flange using new design special hem flange tools and procedures. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: READ THIS REPAIR PROCEDURE COMPLETELY BEFORE PERFORMING ANY SERVICE ACTIONS.

Inspect the inside of the door/tailgate at the lower edge only to determine which service procedure to perform:

a.. Procedure "A": Corrosion/Bubbling at the Door Bottom Hem Flange
b.. Procedure "B": Corrosion/Bubbling at the Tailgate Hem Flange
This repair procedure can be used on third door, fourth door, and tailgates of trucks.

Refer to the materials listing later in the TSB for materials required for each procedure.

PROCEDURE "A": CORROSION/BUBBLING AT THE DOOR BOTTOM HEM FLANGE
1.. Follow the appropriate Workshop Manual procedure for the removal of the interior door panel.
2.. Use shop air to blow out the drain holes in the bottom of the door and apply 25mm (1") masking tape to the outer door skin at the bottom to prevent scuffing.
3.. Use a hammer and screwdriver to slightly lift the corner of the hem flange.
4.. Insert TOOL 501-078/1(RT) or TOOL 501-078/2(LT) in an air impact gun (620 kPa (90 psi) air pressure is required for consistent tool operation). Using the special tool, lift the hem flange continuing across the bottom of the door and stop just before the end.
5.. Use an angle grinder or wire brush to remove all corrosion on the bottom inside hem flange and inner door panel. Follow by blowing off with compressed air.
6.. Using appropriate hand protection, brush on Corrosion Converter (Sem 69508) on the corrosion area. Use light coat and let flash dry 2-5 minutes. Follow by using a damp cloth to wipe off corrosion residue.
7.. Sand with DA sander using 360 grit sandpaper at the lower areas of the door where paint was disturbed, keeping the repair area small. Featheredge for a paint blend as necessary. Blow off the panel with clean compressed air. Clean the panels with wax and grease remover.
8.. Mix and brush on Ford-approved epoxy or self-etching primer to inside hem flange areas on the bottom of the door. Bake at 60°C (140°F) panel temperature per manufacturer's label instructions.
9.. Install the Motorcraft CTA-1 adhesive cartridge into the application gun (501-040). Squeeze out some material to purge the cartridge. Install the tip on the cartridge and squeeze out some material to make sure of even mixing of the adhesive components.
10.. Apply the adhesive between the hem flange and bottom of the inner door panel. Work time is 45 minutes at 21°C (70°F). Adhesive cure time is 8 hours.
11.. Use TOOL 501-080 to re-hem (close down) the hem flange. Start in a corner and insert the center of the tool over the area to close down, then hit with a hammer.
12.. Install the Motorcraft CTA-2 adhesive cartridge into the application gun (501-040). Squeeze out some material to purge the cartridge. Install the tip on the cartridge and squeeze out some material to make sure of even mixing of the adhesive components.
13.. Apply Motorcraft CTA-2 Urethane Seam Sealer around the door hem flange to give a finished appearance.
14.. Remove any residual sealer with adhesive remover. Sealer is paintable in 10 minutes and within 24 hours.
15.. Mask the door for color application.
16.. Mix and apply Ford-approved basecoat color to the inside of the door area and allow material to flash off.
17.. Mix and apply Ford-approved clearcoat to inside of the door and bake at 60°C (140°F) panel temperature per manufacturer's recommended baking time.
18.. Spray SuperSeal (CTA-8) aerosol rust preventive to the inside of the door at the hem location. Do not plug drain holes.
19.. Demask and reinstall the inner door panel.
PROCEDURE "B": CORROSION/BUBBLING AT THE TAILGATE HEM FLANGE
1.. Follow the appropriate Workshop Manual procedure for the removal of the tailgate and tailgate mouldings as necessary.
2.. Use shop air to blow out the drain holes in the bottom of the tailgate and apply 25mm (1") masking tape to the outer tailgate skin at the bottom to prevent scuffing.
3.. Use a hammer and screwdriver to slightly lift the corner of the hem flange.
4.. (Depending on preference) Insert TOOL 501-078/1(RT) or TOOL 501-078/2(LT) in an air impact gun (620 kPa (90 psi) air pressure is required for consistent tool operation). Using special tool, lift the hem flange continuing across the bottom of the tailgate and stop just before the end.
5.. Use an angle grinder or wire brush to remove all corrosion on the bottom inside hem flange and inner tailgate panel. Follow by blowing off with compressed air.
6.. Using appropriate hand protection, brush on Corrosion Converter (Sem 69508) on the corrosion area. Use light coat and let flash dry 2-5 minutes. Follow by using a damp cloth to wipe off corrosion residue.
7.. Sand with DA sander using 360 grit sandpaper at the lower areas of the tailgate where paint was disturbed, keeping the repair area small. Featheredge for a paint blend as necessary. Blow off the panel with clean compressed air. Clean the panels with wax and grease remover.
8.. Mix and brush on Ford-approved epoxy or self-etching primer inside hem flange areas on the bottom of the tailgate. Bake at 60°C (140°F) panel temperature per manufacturer's label instructions.
9.. Install the Motorcraft CTA-1 adhesive cartridge into the application gun (501-040). Squeeze out some material to purge the cartridge. Install the tip on the cartridge and squeeze out some material to make sure of even mixing of the adhesive components.
10.. Apply the adhesive between the hem flange and bottom of the inner tailgate panel. Work time is 45 minutes at 21°C (70°F). Adhesive cure time is 8 hours.
11.. Use TOOL 501-080 to re-hem (close down) the hem flange. Start in a corner and insert the center of the tool over the area to close down, then hit with a hammer.
12.. Install the Motorcraft CTA-2 adhesive cartridge into the application gun (501-040). Squeeze out some material to purge the cartridge. Install the tip on the cartridge and squeeze out some material to make sure of even mixing of the adhesive components.
13.. Apply Motorcraft CTA-2 Urethane Seam Sealer around the tailgate hem flange to give a finished appearance.
14.. Remove any residual sealer with adhesive remover. Sealer is paintable in 10 minutes and within 24 hours.
15.. Mask the tailgate for color application.
16.. Mix and apply Ford-approved basecoat color to the inside of the tailgate area and allow material to flash off.
17.. Mix and apply Ford-approved clearcoat to inside of the tailgate and bake at 60°C (140°F) panel temperature per manufacturer's recommended baking time.
18.. Spray SuperSeal (CTA-8) aerosol rust preventive in the inside of the tailgate at the hem location. The inside of the tailgate can be accessed through the drain holes in the bottom of the tailgate using an extension nozzle on the SuperSeal spray can. Ensure drain holes are not plugged after applying.
19.. Demask and reinstall the tailgate.
PROCEDURES "A" AND "B" MATERIALS LIST

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of The Basic Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
010908AAP Additional Time To Paint For Operation AA 0.5 Hr.
010908AA Inspect And Perform Hem Flange Corrosion Procedure - Includes Time To Mask Door Opening (One Front Door) 0.9 Hr.
010908ABP Additional Time To Paint For Operation AB 1.0 Hr.
010908AB Inspect And Perform Hem Flange Corrosion Procedure - Includes Time To Mask Door Opening (Two Front Doors) 1.6 Hrs.
010908BAP Additional Time To Paint For Operation BA 0.5 Hr.
010908BA Inspect And Perform Hem Flange Corrosion Procedure - Includes Time To Mask Door Opening (One Rear Super Cab Door) 0.7 Hr.
010908BBP Additional Time To Paint For Operation BB 1.0 Hr.
010908BB Inspect And Perform Hem Flange Corrosion Procedure - Includes Time To Mask Door Opening (Two Rear Super Cab Doors) 1.2 Hrs.
010908CAP Additional Time To Paint For Operation CA 0.5 Hr.
010908CA Inspect And Perform Hem Flange Corrosion Procedure - Includes Time To Mask Door Opening (One Rear Super Crew Door) 0.9 Hr.
010908CBP Additional Time To Paint For Operation CB 1.0 Hr.
010908CB Inspect And Perform Hem Flange Corrosion Procedure - Includes Time To Mask Door Opening (Two Rear Super Crew Doors) 1.6 Hrs.
01090AP Additional Time To Paint For Operation DA 0.5 Hr.
01090A Inspect And Perform Hem Flange Corrosion Procedure Tailgate 0.6 Hr.
010908P101 Can Be Claimed Once Per Visit Even If Multiple Panels Are Involved 0.5 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
1520124 RT. FT. DOOR D7
1520125 LF. FT. DOOR D7
1624630 RT. REAR SUPER CREW DOOR D7
1624631 LF. REAR SUPER CREW DOOR D7
1824630 RT. REAR SUPER CAB DOOR D7
1824631 LF. REAR SUPER CAB DOOR D7
8340700 FLAIRSIDE TAILGATE D7
8340700 SUPER CREW TAILGATE D7
9940700 STYLESIDE TAILGATE D7

OASIS CODES:

Old 07-21-2004, 10:56 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Seems easy enough. Perhaps I'll sell my truck instead.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
99questions
New User
I agree with you. I am still waiting on the repair company to give me the quote for repair. I just can't believe a 4 year old truck can have that much rust on the inside and nothing on the outside!

Old 07-21-2004, 01:58 PM
ppo2
Senior User
Thanks Buzzard for the info. I'll print that article and bring it to the dealership next door and should be able to get an estimate. Reading the article, looks like they're gonna have to keep the truck overnight to dry the paint.

Easier to show them the article as supposed to trying to explain what needs to be done.

Thanks again, kind sir.

Drive Safe,
Dan

Old 07-21-2004, 07:33 PM
GameDay
New User
Buzzard,

Is this a TSB, and if so, does a TSB mean that it is a mandatory fix/warranty work by Ford? Or, does this TSB just mean that when I pay to have Ford fix this, the TSB provides the proper repair procedure?

Thanks!
Mike

Old 07-21-2004, 07:37 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The TSB provides the repair procedure for vehicles covered under the provisions stated... in this case..

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of The Basic Warranty Coverage

Old 07-21-2004, 08:49 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
You're welcome guys.

Yes it is a TSB which is really nothing more than a broadly distributed alert to a widespread problem with the associated fix.

As Homer said, the bumper to bumper will cover the work, otherwise you'd better have complete rust through (and still be under corrosion warranty) for Ford to pick up the tab.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:20 AM
99questions
New User
Reviewing the basic warranty on my 99 Expy, I guess I should hope for holes in the sheet metal then Ford would cover the repair. Coverage in this case lasts for 5 years regardless of mileage. I think I understand it that way. I don't think that it has holes though, I guess I still need to wait on the quote. My Expy has been in the shop now for a week and nothing has been done to it, waiting on the new rocker panel from Ford.

Old 07-29-2004, 05:09 PM
lovemyexpy
Senior User
99questions, did you ever get a quote for your rust repair? I have all four doors with the same issue on my 98 Expy. As far as I'm concerned it's a crappy weld at the bottom door seam, allowing salt and moisture in. What a shame, the rest of the truck is almost perfect as far as paint goes. If I don't fix it soon, I will have rust marks at the bottom of the doors visible from the outside.

Thanks.........

Old 07-30-2004, 01:20 PM
99questions
New User
I finally received the estimate from the collision repair people on Wed. and nearly fainted. They quoted me on repairing just 3 of the doors, the final door is being replaced because of the accident. The quote came in at $1,433.17. Yikes, I called the manager of the place today because the quote came in with all of this assembly time. I guess the manager said the adjustor quoted it by taking the doors off and working on them from the inside? So that meant taking the doors apart and reassembling them in the end. The manager is going to quote me again because he said the adjustor didn't realize they could be done from the outside. He thought the quote should come in around $425.00. That sounds a little better. Although that worries me also because on the previous information that Buzzard gave us, sounds like the inner panel should come off anyways.
Oh and get this, I guess if I had a little less mileage on my Epxy, Ford would of covered it. My mileage is 73,538.
I think I will wait and see what the actual price comes in at, but I do think I am going to trade it in. I don't ever think that it will be right again! I do love it though!!
I will let you know what the new quote actually includes when I get it.

Quick Reply: Rust mobile