Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Hemi hype

Old 07-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Paul Selby
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hemi hype

I test drove a reg cab Dodge 1/2 ton with the hemi today. I was not impressed at all with this engine. My old F-150 5.4 felt stronger. Overall it wasn't a bad truck, I like the look of the reg cab. I don't understand all the hype over the hemi. Seems like the HP and/or torque must be over rated. Maybe I just drove a dog.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Paul Welcome to the only family Ford site. Take minute to read ALL Guidelines...
Then enjoy all FTE offers

Old 07-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
The fact is that the numbers don't lie. In spite of how the truck may have felt, every test, both published and unpublished, conclusively show that the Hemi out runs and out pulls both comparable offerings from GM and Ford. It is quicker both loaded and unloaded. Only the Titan can match, or even beat it in some cases.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:10 AM
abmobil
Senior User
Im not a big fan of dodge or anything but if it was brand new, it probably just needs to break in, the last couple of vehicles ive had didnt really start to open up until the 5000 mile mark. Alot of the new cars computers learn you riving habits, so on one day it may feel significantly stronger than the other until things settle down in he computer. Thats what ive been told anyway, not sure if its all correct.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:59 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ev2Demon
The fact is that the numbers don't lie. In spite of how the truck may have felt, every test, both published and unpublished, conclusively show that the Hemi out runs and out pulls both comparable offerings from GM and Ford. It is quicker both loaded and unloaded. Only the Titan can match, or even beat it in some cases.
Unless of course you're talking about towing or hauling, you know, what trucks are for. Then the Ford wins. You're right, the numbers don't lie. The Ford can work harder.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
The factory tow rating has nothing to do with the context of this topic, which is the amount of power the Hemi makes.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:18 AM
tkondro
Senior User
Unless of course you're talking about towing or hauling, you know, what trucks are for. Then the Ford wins. You're right, the numbers don't lie. The Ford can work harder.
Your wrong, the chevy denali tows more!

What are the chances that the average person is going to tow that much stuff that it reaches the tow rating? You bring this topic up everytime dodge is mentioned. I think we all know that the ford can tow more. But if I wanted to tow more than your ford, I would buy the chevy denali, which I might add is more capable and does more work than the ford!

The engine needs to break in just a little bit, but you should be able to tell the power difference over the F-150. The hemi only has 15% more horse than the new ford and the torque is fairly similar. Horsepower comes in at the higher rpms and speeds and the ford is known for low end torque. At higher speeds I think you should notice the accelaration is a little bit different. The new body style is a lot more aggressive than the ford and doesn't look all too bad. The rumble bee edition even looks better.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:23 AM
Catfish Mike
Freshman User
I have a 04 Super Crew Lariet 5.4 and a 04 Quad Cab Slt 5.7 Hemi . The dodge is stronger but the my ford rides better and handles better. Dodge is doing a buy back on my dodge ,its has a body vibration and can't be fixed [ only 700 miles ]

Old 07-15-2004, 06:35 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
What's the payload on a Denali? How much can you haul in the bed? Also, it's very relevant, here's what is relevant. The Hemi can have 1,000 HP, fine. It's more powerful. It's in a truck that isn't half the truck of the Ford. This forum is Ford vs. the Competition, so I will compare it to the Ford. The Dodge with the Hemi can't work as hard as the Ford, that's my point. That's the relevance. The thread is titled Hemi Hype, and this is what you are spreading. Hemi hype = `The hemi has more power.` Hemi truth = `Even though the Hemi has more power, it doesn't matter, because it's in a substandard truck that can't even come close to using all of the available power because the manufacturer doesn't offer a drivetrain that is anywhere near as efficient as the Ford's when getting the power to the ground, read as useable power. If you want to win on a crank dyno, get the Hemi. That's the only catergory that the Hemi beats a similarly equipped Ford in.`

Old 07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
When you consider that the Ford F-150 rated to tow 9900 lbs has a GVWR of 8600 lbs isn't a true 1/2 ton truck (historically, any truck with a GVWR of 8600 or higher has been considered a 3/4 ton and designated as such by the manufacturers), you can't say it is similarly equipped to any 1500 Dodge. When you look at Fords true 1/2 ton F-150 offering (less than 8600 GVWR), it is nearly dead even with the 1/2 ton Dodge. Given that they are rated nearly the same, and the Dodge makes more power, I'd say that the Dodge is clearly the harder working 1/2 ton truck.

Just because Ford decided to badge the HD offering an F-150 doesn't mean it is a 1/2 ton.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Doesn't matter what it is historically rated, an F-150 is a half-ton truck. The F-150 that tows 9,900 is hardly an HD truck. Play with numbers, say what you want, but the F-150 is a half-ton, and it outworks the Dodge. Deal with it.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Doesn't matter what it is historically rated, an F-150 is a half-ton truck. The F-150 that tows 9,900 is hardly an HD truck. Play with numbers, say what you want, but the F-150 is a half-ton, and it outworks the Dodge. Deal with it.
The hemis can't out run my Powerstroke either! I guess the word has gone around cause they don't even try anymore.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:27 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
How come every thread that mentions the hemi gets turned into a war with the same people bringing up the same points, over and over again. It really gets old. Like it or hate it, the Hemi has more overall power, however it has to rev higher to make it, but it is geared accordingly to take advantage of it. If it felt weak, it's probably becuase it was on a test drive and you didn't get a chance to wind it up enough to see it's power. I love the new F150's, and I don't particularly like the Ram, but the Hemi does make good power and deserves respect, but I feel it is better suited in the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300. The Ram will win the race very time, although I have yet to see one with them pulling more than 5000 lbs, but it's also going to require more downshifting if pulling on a grade or at highway speeds, which will wear more on the tranny. Tow rating is relevent, but only if you are going to be pulling that much, and most people that pull that much will have a 3/4 ton with a diesel or V-10. But it is comforting to know that your truck is capable if the need comes. That being said, most F-150's wont be sold with the hevay duty towing package.
Anyways, I'm tired of all the hemi, Triton wars. Nobody is going to change each others mind and when someone comes here looking for information about one or the other, they shouldn't have to sort through all of our bickering to find what they wanted to know.
My rant is over.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 PM
tkondro
Senior User
I'm not trying to bash any of the trucks, but when FordLariat always mentions (let me stress that, always) that the ford tows the most and that is what makes it such a more capable truck, well he is wrong. And then when I mention to him that the chevy denali tows 10,000 lbs (again which is more than the ford) he changes his story and says it doesn't have any payload. Make up your mind on what you want.

The hemi is going to outperform any Triton 3V motor. I don't care if the "truck" can't tow as much, the hemi engine was the whole topic of this discussion, not the tow rating. So for someone to say that the ford tows more, big deal start a new thread about it then. The hemi has better "performance".

Sorry to those offended.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:34 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tkondro
The hemi is going to outperform any Triton 3V motor .
Yeah. The "hemi" can't even tow with a 2-valve Triton V10, let alone the new 3V V10 in the 2005s.

Dodge is putting Hemi engines in that new station wagon they make. It's called the "Magnum". I don't know about you guys, but I sure as heck don't want a station wagon engine in my pickup. Especially a 3/4 or 1 ton model!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hemi hype