expedition mach subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:20 AM
KCAsound
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the sub in my wife's 2000 Expedition with the powered 10" MTX Thunderform. Sounds great and I mounted the bass **** through the dash bezel next to the cigarette lighter

Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Araltd
Junior User
I just bought a 2001 expedition with Mach system and the factory 8" subwoofer. After a week battling the wrong recomended wiring harness to replace the factory headunit with a 7inch touch screen, I finally got it all working and and the sub working with the aftermarket head unit.

I'm not impressed with the sub, but for a factory system it's fine. I would like to replace the woofer if it will make a difference? Is it worth doing?

And when you say adding the dynamat, I removed my sub enclosure, there is matting inside there - are you saying to add more? or add the dynamat BEHIND the enclosure to reduce rattle?

Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM
2shoes
New User
I need to swap out a 1998 ford explorer subwoofer.

I need to swap out a 1998 ford explorer subwoofer. I’m not sure what size it is, perhaps somebody here knows. I’d really like to just make this simple and replace the blown subwoofer I got from the factory with a real good one. I just can’t find out what size it is so I know what options I have. It’s the factory installed one in the rear side panel. It came with the truck.

I found out after ripping apart the speaker that there is some kind of bolt holding it in place, and I’m having a lot of problems getting it off, any advise would be great. I’m really debating taking a crowbar and ripping it off but I’m not sure what’s right near it if I do a bit of damage, I can care less what it looks like behind the factory covering if I scratch a few things inside, I just don’t need to break anything important. I’m trying not to take apart the entire quarter panel; I think if I do I’ll never get it back on.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Araltd
Junior User
The rear bolt/screw should simply UNSCREW. Simple as that.

The factory woofer is a 8 inch speaker, but as I remember its a LOW PROFILE or SHALLOW MOUNT model. There are several OEM options, I can't comment on any as my factory woofer still works so I have not had to replace mine yet.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 PM
2shoes
New User
I’m sure the bolt comes out as you mention, it’s just I can’t get to it. Like I said I ripped it apart but still can’t get to the back of it easily. That’s why I posted the question for help. I did try to spin it off, that didn’t work.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Araltd
Junior User
Ok, let's back up.. Remember - mine is a 2001 with mach system, so I don't know how different (if any) the models are.

When you remove (or pull back) the passenger side panel to expose the seat belt stuff and you'll see the sub woofer. I pulled that as far back as I could to see the sub woofer, and then removed the screws that held the entire assembly to the truck. I think 5 screws? Anyway, you do that, disconnect the harness and the whole plastic box comes out, amp, subwoofer and box. THEN you'll see the screw in the back, before you remove the screws holding on the sub in the front (in other words, while the sub is mounted still) remove the back screw FIRST, then remove the other 8 that hold the bezel of the woofer it self. Then it should lift right out. Simple as that.

Hang on I think I took SOME pictures when I pulled mine out - just for this. Let me see what I can come up with.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Araltd
Junior User

Here's the side panel on the passenger side you have to pull back (or remove?) to access the sub - again in my 2001 eb.

Something like this.. Along the top and bottom edges you'll find the screws that hold the whole box in place. And there's a harness plugged in the amp.

And this whole box comes out. I didn't take pictures of the back, where the screw is - but its just a standard hex head screw (bolt), that bolts in to the back of the magnet of the sub itself... thats it.

(sorry about the sizes of the images, I just snapped these with my phone - and uploaded them to post here right now )

Old 10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
This is what I put in my 99 expy. Big difference over the stock one. Not cheap though.
MTX Amplified ThunderForms 1997-2002 Ford Expedition1998-2002 Lincoln Navigator at Crutchfield.com

Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Araltd
Junior User
Originally Posted by madsonp
This is what I put in my 99 expy. Big difference over the stock one. Not cheap though.
MTX Amplified ThunderForms 1997-2002 Ford Expedition1998-2002 Lincoln Navigator at Crutchfield.com

Ooo... that looks nice!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM
2shoes
New User
The pictures really helped thanks; it gives me insight as to what it looks like. Was it a bitch to take all that off & get it on again?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Araltd
Junior User
Honestly no, it's not too hard........ and if you've got someone to hold that side "open" for you to get in there and unscrew those screws - it's super easy. Make sure you've either got a ratchet action driver or a power driver of some kind, and you'll be in and out in just a few minutes

GOOD LUCK.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
2shoes
New User
Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a shot. If it seems to be too hard I’m going in with a crowbar and just rip out the speaker in its place. That’s all I really need to do. I didn't want to take apart the entire back side. Ford sucks *****. If it wasn't attached in the rear I would have been done already.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Araltd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2shoes
Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a shot. If it seems to be too hard I’m going in with a crowbar and just rip out the speaker in its place. That’s all I really need to do. I didn't want to take apart the entire back side. Ford sucks *****. If it wasn't attached in the rear I would have been done already.
no no.. no crowbar... Once you get that siding away to expose the speaker box --- all you'll have to do is remove the screws around the edge of the box which are holding the entire plastic subwoofer box to the side of the truck - then lift out the whole box, amp, speaker and all... Then with the BOX OUT OF THE TRUCK, you'll see the rear mounting screw holding IN the sub woofer............................................ ......................

You WILL NOT see the screw UNTIL you get the plastic sub woofer box OUT OF THE TRUCK.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Araltd
Junior User
My question, which any who are watching this thread... Has anyone successfully replaced the factory woofer with an aftermarket one, and does it sound any better....

I know replacing the entire box, amp, woofer, etc - would make a huge difference, but with a $90 subwoofer in the same factory box/amp make a different without spending $600 for the entire new enclosure, woofer and amp....? (yeah, I'm broke - so what!?)

Old 10-11-2009, 04:36 PM
2shoes
New User
I’ll be honest I fear not being able to get it all back together. Anybody can take it all apart, that’s easy. Experience over the years teaches me that sometimes you shouldn’t mess with stuff you need on the off chance you screw it up. That’s why I just want the speaker out. I’ll take a little look see about removing it right, but I can’t afford to have my rear quarter panel off and rugs ripped up if I can’t get them all back on nice like.

Is there any normal tool we all own that will take those little plastic caps off? I don’t’ want to buy a panel remover for 10.00 for about 4 caps?

Quick Reply: expedition mach subwoofer replacement