Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Smoking ballast resistor

Old 07-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Gear Up is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey fenders,
No harm done from this end. I come to this sight because of the atmosphere. All to often things get too hectic for me and I can vent as well. My sence of humor may no be the same as everyone else but I chimed in for the comrodary. We can't take ourselves so seriously all the time.
I did take my teaching seriously and took pride in it as I take pride in my upholstery work. Thanks for the input and hang in there. No, we all don't concur with what is going on in the mid east but now that we are there we need to take care of our young people over there and get as many as possible back safely. All you can do is do the best you can with what you are given to work with. Take care.

Gear Up

Old 09-21-2004, 01:45 PM
thornanator
New User
thornanator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi There:
I recently purchased a 1971 F250. It just had a new clutch put in and new brakes. Well the key was lost!! So I had to pull the ignition out to get it home. Hence all hell has broke loose.....
I keep burning up coils and points. I went ot purchase the condensor and points but Napa did not show a ballast resistor for that year?????? Huh?
OK I am a woman and I may not know a whole lot about this motor (360), this is my real first Ford. But I need a dummies step by step wiring picture from the ignition to where the damn thing runs and I can drive off. The engine cranks and when it has run, it did a good job. It did surge some, but I think my old 2bbl carb is leaking fuel. Can somebody help me quick? I need to use this old beast and can't get it to run without replacing coils. I don't see a BR on the damn thing! HELP ME!!!!!!
Thanks

Old 09-21-2004, 01:53 PM
thornanator
New User
thornanator is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do I get it to keep on running

Hi There:
I recently purchased a 1971 F250. It just had a new clutch put in and new brakes. Well the key was lost!! So I had to pull the ignition out to get it home. Hence all hell has broke loose.....
I keep burning up coils and points. I went ot purchase the condensor and points but Napa did not show a ballast resistor for that year?????? Huh?
OK I am a woman and I may not know a whole lot about this motor (360), this is my real first Ford. But I need a dummies step by step wiring picture from the ignition to where the damn thing runs and I can drive off. The engine cranks and when it has run, it did a good job. It did surge some, but I think my old 2bbl carb is leaking fuel. Can somebody help me quick? I need to use this old beast and can't get it to run without replacing coils. I don't see a BR on the damn thing! HELP ME!!!!!!
Thanks
Thorn

Last edited by thornanator; 09-21-2004 at 01:54 PM. Reason: I did not sign note
Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thorn, you need a 12-6 volt resister on the wire going to your coil. If it is missing, replace it. It may be a white block about 1.5 inches long and 0.5 inches tall. It should have been screwed to the firewall or fenderwell. If you start your own thread on this, you may get a better response. Good luck, John