1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Edge 4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:32 PM
ichthusrulz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge 4x2 to 4x4 conversion

I've been reading all I can get on this for the past month. I've even tried to carry on a conversation with the monkeys at my local dealership, but need some more experienced help. Here's the deal...

I bough a new Ranger cheap...I'm talking CHEAP!!! I moved to where it actually snows and found out that 2WD leaves much to be desired.

What I have:

2003 Ranger Edge SC
3.0L V6
Manual transmission (Mazda R1 or R1HD?)
4WD suspension (torsion bar)
Ford 8.8" (open) Rear Differential with 4.10 Gearing
A very mecanically inclined brain and a love of elegantly simple solutions.

What I'm thinking: (Open to any suggestions)

Rear End: Tractech Electrac Limited Slip/Locking Differential ( http://www.tractech.com/docs/DetroitElectrac.pdf )

Transfer Case: Manual BW1354 (I'm not sure about this.)

Hubs: Beats the heck out of me. It gets cold here in the dakotas durring the wintertime. I want something that I don't have to screw with in the cold. Don't care if it's locking hubs, even if running in 2H drops the gas economy in the wintertime by leaving the hubs engaged. I'll just leave them locked durring the winer and when off-roading.

Front Differential and Axels: Beats the snot out of me...Dana 35...???

Other parts?: You tell me.

Now I've brought this up to people before and I get the "It's not worth it. Too much work and too expensive. Just buy a 4x4." Well, maybe, but I want to build a system equal (possibly) superior to the factory setup and I have quite a bit of money to play with before buying a new 4WD Ranger becomes cheaper (about $5k). Notice I didn't say a COPY of the factory system. I'm looking for functionality here, not loyalty to the blue oval engineers.

Any suggestions on components? Am I forgetting anything? I know that ripping an entire system off another truck would work, but common, that's a no brainer solution, and we all need mental exercise. Besides, I could use a pet project.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to the discussion.

-Daniel

Last edited by ichthusrulz; 07-03-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:42 PM
98xlt4x4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the front end, it would be best to get most of that stuff from another truck. Spindles, hubs, cv-joints, differential, etc. I don't know how different the front end is from a 4x4, but I wouldn't think it'd be too far off. For transfer case, definately get a manual one. There is also an Atlas (I think) twin stick transfer case that some people use. You can engage the front and rear axles independently, and I believe it's gear driven instead of chain driven like ours. 2001 and newer rangers have front ends that are always engaged, except for the transfer case. Never done anything like this myself, but good luck. I may be able to get some front end diagrams if I can find my Ford login info...

Old 07-05-2004, 05:51 AM
TakeEm
Freshman User
The Atlas II is an awesome transfer case. It will run you around $2000.00 or so. Lots of people put them in jeeps after a significant motor build up. Go to www.4wd.com
Converting a 2wd to 4wd is a pain. It can be done, though. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:27 PM
ichthusrulz
New User
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check transfer case prices. Would definately go for the Atlas if it was only a few $100 more. Might as well do it righ the first time. I'll have to check all the specs on it. What front differential do the Rangers use? Dana 35? Do people upgrade to a different diff ever? Also in my readings it seems that the Rangers use the same front drivetrain as the Explorers. Is this true, and if so, for what years? (I need to work on this with part numbers)

Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 AM
98xlt4x4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the front diff was the same on 97-01 explorers and 98+ rangers. You're best bet is an explorer or 2001 or newer ranger. They don't have autolock hubs, instead the front diff is always engaged to the wheels. Don't worry though, it's a good thing! You can also convert a 98-00 ranger to work the same way. If you can't do the Atlas transfer case, get a manual transfer case from a new FX4 level II, or maybe an earlier manual t-case from a ranger...

Old 07-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Waves
Elder User
Hey man just a suggestion, but if you have the money to blow, you could consider selling yours buying a 4x and modify the 4x to a much better than stock package? I'm not ******* what you are talking about doing, it just might be a better idea to start with a 4x and make it better. It will have most of what you need to start with and then you can just improve it? Anyway good luck with your project -

Old 07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
ichthusrulz
New User
I might end up doing that. I want to end up in the same place at the end of it. My thought is that if I get a 4x4 and end up upgrading all the parts, it might be cheaper to just install them on a 4x2 in the first place. I'm definately going to look at this ery turoghly, that's why I'm asking for input from you guys. Up to now, all I've got is the "Don't do that, that's stupid" from people and I like to know the why of things and weigh them out for myself. So this is more exploritory right now than an "I;m going to do this next week". If I do do it though, I will definately document it on the web. Thanks for all your continuing help. About the Ranger transfer cases, are they all the same throughout the years except for being either manual or electric versions of the same thing? Also, is there any difference in transmissions between the 4x2 and 4x4 (w/ and w/o transfer cases), also what about the rear drive shaft?

Old 07-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Waves
Elder User
Here are some other thoughts I would have on the subject. If you do what I was talking about, selling yours and buying a 4x and just modifying it, get one with a 4.0, make sure it has the 8.8 rear diff. (I think this is standard with a 4.0 and with most rangers now..but make sure thats what you get). In other words I would get a base truck with as much of the best things you can get in a ranger (best engine and best diffs) to start with. Then you can improve upon that. If you go the other way, conversion maybe buy a wrecked one as a parts truck to put into your conversion, I know there will be some computer issues so having a truck to rob parts (front diff, driveshaft, computer, ect. for a conversion is not a bad idea if that is the direction you decide to go. It's a pretty big undertaking but it could be a fun project -

Old 07-06-2004, 11:28 AM
ichthusrulz
New User
Thanks, I think you are probaby right, but I still want to take a good look at the alternative, you know, knowing the "why". I'm really enjoying the challenge of the excercise as well. It's a good way for me to learn alot about the Ranger and how it works and is put together. I've learned a ton about it recently.

On the other side, getting a new truck is kinda hairy because I'm in grad school now and might not be able to qualify for a good loan (not really all that employed right now, but that might change).

Last edited by ichthusrulz; 07-06-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:01 AM
TakeEm
Freshman User
ichthusrulz, I'm not going to tell you don't do what you're wanting to do. But, from talking with a few friends who really get into this stuff such as hardcore mudders and rockclimbers, you'll basically have to rebuild the entire front suspension from the ground up. Are you building a general use 4x4, a mudder or rockclimber. For a general use 4x4, Ford 9" axles are pretty good front and back. They also have a removable carrier that Dana and Corporate don't have. It's great if you break sump'en inside the pumkin on the trail. Just carry a spare with you. Easy to fix vs. a Dana or Corporate. You can also go with Dana 44's front and back. Check with Currie Enterprises out of California for some awesome hybrid type axles. If you're keeping the 3.0 engine, you won't need any bigger axle's as long as they're geared properly to turn 35" tires and still be able to criuse on hwy. You might not be passing anyone too fast though. Any high power v-8 motor and you'll want Dana 60's or the equivalent front and rear. I'm not saying you can't use Ford 9" axles or Dana 44's to turn 35" tires... It's just the breakage factor. The general rule of thumb applies: Bad motors warrant stout trannies, transfer cases and big axles. Warn Hubs are the way to go. If you're going to run 33's or larger, don't slouch on the tranny either. Not to sure what ford trannies there are as I'm a Jeep person and just bought my 1st new ford. Stay away from the ford 8.8" axle. It's fine for race cars, not real 4x4's. It's not something you want to depend on with big tires and being on the trail. Jeep got smart and started putting Dana 44's in them with air lockers. I prefer Detriot lockers myself. They are the granddaddy of all lockers. Spools are fine for strictly offroad 4x4's only. You can put them on the road, but you'll go through tires left and right. When you build a 4x4, you're building a system that you can take somewhere and get offroad and have fun without breaking something. That's the thought process at least. Unfortunately, Mr Murphy likes to play also. He is always looking for opportunity to upset the fun. Whatever you do, build it RIGHT the first time. You'll be sorry if you don't. Take your time and research every piece of equipment going under the frame. Don't try to build a low cost, budget 4x4. Some guys spend a couple of years building 4x4's. Those with big pocket books can build a Bad 4x4 in a month or two. If you want some help with equipment selection, shoot me an email. I used to own a Bronco duece that I wanted to build up. I'm sure I can remember what was going under it if I try hard enough.

Anyway, good luck with whatever way you decide to build it. There is nothing wrong with converting a 4x2 to a 4x4. It just takes time, effort and more money.

TakeEm

Last edited by TakeEm; 07-08-2004 at 07:04 AM.