Strange timing issue. 4.9 L6

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:50 AM
xtmanx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, long story here. I got a 1987 F150 with a L6 4.9. After sitting for 8 years I went to town on the truck trying to get it going. I had to replace all the fuel pumps and filter. Remove the fuel injectors for a thorough cleaning and new gaskets. Finally got fuel, next is spark. That wasn't so bad, new cap rotor wires and plugs and everything was firing. Still the truck would not start. What else could it be? Timing. So I pulled plug number one and got it to the top and checked the rotor, it was pointing the wrong way. So I turned it around again thinking maybe it would line up on the next revolution but no, it was 180 out. So I pulled the timing cover and cam gear off and rotated the crank 180. Still the truck would not start. After 35 hours on this thing I finally decided to swap the plug wires going onto the cap 180. To my surprise the truck fired up and sounds good.

I told you its a long story, onto my question. Now the truck has a hard time turning over unless I move the distributor clockwise. If I do not it turns over very slow, like it has a dead battery. Once I get it started it has no power unless I turn the distributor back counterclockwise to the original spot. I tried timing it with a timing light with the passengers side timing marks, I hear the ones on the driver side are not the correct one, but when I try to time it the timing mark on the harmonic balancer ( I replaced it during all this so its new ) is located on the bottom of the motor, at 6 o'clock and the timing mark is at 10 or 11 o'clock. I was unable to locate the spout connector but I wouldn't think that the connector would throw it off so much.

Any one know where the spout connector is on this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2004, 10:28 AM
sail2244
Senior User
The difference with and without the spout connector is about 20 degrees of timing.
I have an 84 with the Feedback carb so im not positive about the location on your truck but if you have the gray TFI module on the side of the distributer then the spout connector is the yellow wire with the one pin connector that goes from the TFI module to the harness. The TFI connector is a 6 pin connector the yellow wire is one of these.
You do not need to disconnect it if you cold time the engine. Cold timeing works the same as with an old points distributer. rotate the engine by hand (i usually use a 1/2"ratchet in the harmonic balancer nut) until you are at 10 deg before TDC, Remove the #1 plug You should be able to look thru the plug hole and see the top of the piston. Make sure the timing mark on the harmonic balancer has not moved. The Harmonic balancer Has a rubber damper (dounut) that come loose separating the crankshaft from the pulley on the balancer.
When the #1 cyl is at TDC the rotor on the distributer should point to the plate where the fuel pump mounts(on a carbureted engine) on the front lower drivers side of the engine.
When you are sure #1 cyl is at 10 deg Before TDC. Remove the 1/2" ratchet, turn on the ignition but do not engage the starter. Loosen the distrubuter hold down screw. observe the spark plug, make sure it is grounded (i usually ground it to the block with a ground strap with alligator clips) turn the distributer counterclockwise and then clockwise. You should see the #1 plug fire. Do this until you position the distributer until it just fires and then lock it down there.
This will set the initial timing. The key point here is make sure you are at 10 deg before TDC.
You can also disconnect the spout and check it. but as soon as you reconnect the spout the timing retards to about 30 degrees BTDC.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:35 AM
xtmanx
New User
Thanks! So bring it around to 10 Deg TDC, remove plug one, turn the key on but dont start it and move the dist back and forth until i see a spark then lock it down there?

30 degrees with the spout connected? WOW thats a big difference. Ill check the yellow wire tonight.

Thanks agian.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:23 PM
xtmanx
New User

I got the truck timed but I am having a problem maybe someone can point me in the right direction. When timing the truck, disconnecting the spout connetor
does not make any difference making me think there is a auto advanced problem. If i time it with the spout connected or diconnected, the timing mark is in the same place?? Does this mean my timing advanced modual is bad?

The truck has a hard time starting, motor turns over very slow, when it starts it runs fine. Could this be the same issue with the timing?

Thanks for any assistance.

xtmanx

Old 07-05-2004, 03:34 PM
stractor
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi here is an answer to timing ,that I had written to another person on this board some time back. I hope it helps.This is based on an EFI 1990 300 that I own.

Hi, Ok here goes. Ford in all its infinite wisdom put two sets of timing marks on the 300. There is one set on the right hand side near the top of the timing cover, these marks are cast in the cover. These naturally are the WRONG marks. On the left side of the timing cover where you can't see them are the right marks. They are on a metal plate bolted to the cover using the cover bolts. The vibration damper also has two sets of marks, wouldn't you know it! There is a large square notch , nope not the right one . There is also a very thin scribed line on the damper, yep that is the right one. .
To do this right, slide under the engine and clean off the thin scribe line and paint it white and while you are under there you can see the bolted on timing mark on the cover there is a large triangle cut in the plate , that is 10 degrees before TDC the correct setting .Pull your distributor cap and crank the engine until the rotor points at number one cyl on the cap.Then see if you can see the alignment of the timing mark on the damper some how and the mark on the bolt on plate, its easier when the engine isn't running and you can stick your head in there without loosing half of it. Your timing marks should be some where near each other. Crank the engine to align the 0 degree mark and the mark on the damper, don't worry about the distributor position. Just line up the marks. Then go to the right side of the cover with the cast in marks( that you can see) and mark the damper with white something, paint even whiteout works.Now you have a new timing mark that you can see. Pull the spout, yes it is in the same harness as the distributor connector, its a gray jumper.Put the cap back on. Start the engine and use your new marks to set the timing at degrees before TDC.
Of course this only works if your cover has the cast in marks, I have a 90 and it has the marks. I have just finished assembling the engine and found out that the engine was set using the damper line and the cast in marks. I figure the engine was running 40 degrees retarded, but MAN did ever start quick in any weather with any oil at any temp.
There are other way to do this but it takes too long to describe them here.Sorry I almost forgot. When you mark the damper with the new mark it should be marked the same as the left side original, i.e.--
if the original marks are aligned at 0 you should paint your new mark to align at 0 also, if the original is at say 6 your new mark should be painted to be in line with 6 on the cast marks and so on.

stractor

Old 07-05-2004, 07:56 PM
xtmanx
New User
Thanks for the feedback. I have already made a new timing mark on the pulley. What im really looking for is why I see no difference with or without the spout connected when using a timing light. It makes me think something is out of whack.