Oil & Lubrication  

Chevron oil -vs- Havoline oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 11:30 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chevron oil -vs- Havoline oil

As some may know, I am a BIG fan of the Chevron Supreme 10W-30. My truck likes it a lot. But Walmart no longer carries the oil. So, in need of an alternative (oil change due this week) I bought a case of Havoline 10W-30 at Advance Auto.
I did a quick check and it looks like the two oils are distinctly different (based on tech data and MSDS from web sites).
Do any of you guys know any additional info, "behind the scenes" info, etc.?
Also, anyboady have any real world data for or against the Havoline 10W30?
I plan to find another source for Chevron but time was short and I don't think a case of Havoline 10W-30 is going to hurt anything until I can get back on track with Chevron.
Comments and opinions are appreciated.

edit to add; I ask about this because of the Chevron/Texaco marriage. What are the differences and will they eventuall become one product?

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:44 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure it'll be fine. Especially for just one OCI. Just run it and dont think about it. Definately not what I'd run, but it'll be fine. I'm sure you know what I run from previous posts so I wont bother repeating it.

-Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody's not out to get you!-

Old 06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
cmlind
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually was thinking they were almost one in the same. I looked over the MSDS data sheets a while back and could not find any differences. What are the differences now? I just bought some havoline for $0.97 a quart. Havoline is more available in Minnesota. I can find Chevron if I look hard enough, but Havoline is usually pretty cheap and available. Maybe I should just change to Mystic Jt8. Only problem is that I like 5w30 in the winter. When my truck has been sitting for 5 days in -10 degree weather, it sure starts easier with the thinner oil.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:34 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cmlind
Maybe I should just change to Mystic Jt8.
Hey go for it, I ran it through last winter, and never had a problem starting. Good stuff. You should be able to find the 10w30 up there.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:07 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Brian, I believe we will continue to see the Texaco brand continue under it's own name. It will differ from Chevron in that the Texaco business unit's will continue to cultivate and develop their own resources, customer's and suppliers to their best benefit. What they will share is information and technology.

Back in 1986, Gulf oil merged with Chevron and the Gulf brand completely disappeared. It seems most of the big companies now seem to think it's better to offer brand variety rather just compete with a single name brand. That way if a customer doesn't buy the leading name brand, there is a good chance his choice will still add to the bottom line in the big picture.

I've not used Texaco brand, but in many areas of the country it's better known and just as highly regarded as Chevron and other major brands.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:08 AM
ExpyDude
Freshman User
I actually work for ChevronTexaco lubricants, though I am not "on duty" here, I can say that both oils are excellent in formulation & development, manufacture & blending, QC testing & quality assurance, and ultimately performance. The Havoline formula is slightly different than Chevront Supreme. They are made in the same plants. If you like the Chevron, you will like the Havoline even more!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:29 AM
nobrandx
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you might try a schucks,checker or kragen auto parts if they have them where you live

Old 06-19-2004, 01:13 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ExpyDude
I actually work for ChevronTexaco lubricants, though I am not "on duty" here, I can say that both oils are excellent in formulation & development, manufacture & blending, QC testing & quality assurance, and ultimately performance. The Havoline formula is slightly different than Chevront Supreme. They are made in the same plants. If you like the Chevron, you will like the Havoline even more!
Thanks for the reply and welcome to FTE !!
I am a BIG fan of the Chevron Supreme 10W-30. All due to UOA numbers I have gotten from my truck. I KNOW it serves me well, although I am sure others will also. I don't really want to make a big deal out of it, but going from something that is known to be working to something different just had me wondering. I'm going to try and fine the Chevron elsewhere.
I am curious, why (if you can elaborate) would you expect me to like it more than the Chevron? Better additive package? More ZZDP? Higer base viscosity?
Higher virgin TBN?
What do you know that youmight share with me, and others?

Thanks, and again, welcome to FTE!

Old 06-19-2004, 02:21 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wal-Marts here stopped selling Chevron too......so I thought! I went to a Super WM about two weeks ago I had not been to in months.There on the shelves was every grade of Chevron in dino! I asked stock dude why they were still selling it.....he said they sell so much of it,why delete it? So,I bought two cases of 10W30 @ $1.08 a quart!

Old 06-19-2004, 03:52 PM
JustinH
Senior User
the chevron supreme is an A+ dino. I use it in my dads paint vehicle a 94 caravan, and it runs great.

Brian, for your 10w30 application I would look at three oils.

1.) 10w30 diesel oil (delvac,rotella) You might not to be able to find this weight at every store though in a diesel oil.

2.) Castrol GTX, great oil, has moly, and very cheap

3.) Havoline dino is a great choice also.

Old 06-19-2004, 04:36 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Why would he want to change? The Chevron Supreme is obviously working good for him.

Honestly, I think we all make too much out of oil choices, but oh well. That's what we have a forum for!

Old 06-20-2004, 05:11 PM
ExpyDude
Freshman User
Hello again...well the reason most folks like Havoline Motor Oil is a really brand preference "thing" I think. 100 years of trust, NASCAR, proven performance, Texaco known word-wide. For ALL ILSAC GF-4 "starburst" oils, the formultion variations are "small" in order to meet ALL OEM requirements(if the supplier cares). Suppliers do take different approaches however, especially in Marketing, personally I think some cut corners---but that is a personal, not fully data driven, opinion and of course some people have amazingly strong opinions on oils. As an engineer, my passion is a bit less emotional with oil, but I have brand prefernces in other areas too (don't we all?). Gosh we still sell like 25% 10W40 which has not be a primary OEM grade recommendation for like 20 years now...

[as an aside, isn't it amazin' the amount of automotive chemicals and oils sold with rather "optimistic" claims?...]

Yeah, sorry about the Wally-Word stockouts. They've pushed us for a 5 quart size to help on that issue (saves them a bit of money on handling too...).

I can say that ChevronTexaco invented and licenses much of the world's group II, II+ base oil production, and that is one reason our products tested well (ISOSYN(tm)). Not certain we publicly stress the differneces in Havoline call 800-LubeTek for the "official word". [Frankly, we're word-class Engineers & Formulators, but crummy marketers (thougt we are working on that).] You may note that GF-4, coming in August, will--especially for 0W-20,5W-20, & 5W-30 drive an even higher standard for all oils, included boosted base-oil performance requirements (and costs).

Old 06-21-2004, 09:34 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Thanks for the reply.
I have done some searching and see that there are many similarities. Flash point, pour point, cold crank viscosity, % ash, % K, % Z, all appear the same.
The Havoline has a slightly higher virgin TBN (7.6) -vs- the Chevron Supreme (7.4).
So, I might settle on the Havoline as a good replacement for the Chevron.
I just drained the Chevron and added the Havoline this past weekend. I'll go 5K miles and change it, and send off a sample for a UOA.
I have been running an oiled media filter for about 20-25,000 miles now and want to see if the silicon levels are elevated as compared to the UOA numbers I have from when I had a paper element air filter.
(There's as much emotion involved in that subject as there is dino/syn!)

Thanks!
Brian