Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Places to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:14 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnF250
My family and I camped on the Tincup pass road from July 6th through the 10th. We were between Tincup and St. Elmo on the Tincup side of the pass near Mirror Lake. The camp was off the road far enough so that the small amount of traffic was not a nuisance and was next to a stream and beaver ponds, just beautiful. We were at about 10,500 feet so the temperatures were mild, about 35 at night and 70’s during the day. No trouble with mosquitoes and just a few sprinkles of rain.
SOunds like a blast.. do you think you could send me some more info on where exactly this is? I would love to find a nice spot right by a creek.

Oh by the way I messed up.. I am putting a camper shell on the truck, not a camper.

How bad are these roads on the first too passes, and about how long do they take each? The reason I ask is because from where I stay the night there in this area I have to make it to the sand dunes and set up camp there before it gets dark I wish I had more time!!!

Thanks a million!

Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
Both sides of Tincup Pass have camping near creeks, and there are plenty of beaver ponds with pan size trout in them. Just about any road that follows a canyon will have a stream next to it. I can provide gps tracks and waypoints for passes and camp. These passes are fairly rough, shook my battery holder off, the battery did not fall into the works fortunately! I took some of it in 4-low, I had four people and a dog with me some on the wood flat bed with a cushion and some up front, all enjoyed the ride. So as far as rough goes not the worst by any means, just make sure every thing is tightened down. As far as time is concerned I took 7 hours to do the whole loop of 55 miles, with stopping to look around at various places and take pictures. Something you might consider is camping south of Hancock then in the morning take Hancock Pass to Tomichi Pass then hook it down to Highway 50, this will give you some awesome scenery and would probably meet your time requirements. Here is a link ( http://members.tripod.com/HoboJeepers/AFF01SunHT.htm ) that shows some photos of Hancock and Tomichi Pass, I also posted a couple in my gallery. I know time is near for you so if you want PM me with your phone number and a time to call.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
How does this sound...

I take 285 down to nathrop area, then catch 162 and head out west. My map shows a small trail that heads south just past alpine. There are also several streams and lakes marked. This seems like a good place to camp. If time permits that day or the next morning I could drive into St. Elmo area for some pictures, then head back towards the dunes. I think this would be pretty fast and still (hopefully) let me get some scenery in.

What do you think? Thanks!

Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
My other problem is that I don't want to go too far in on these small jeep trails... as my truck is by no means jeep size lol. If I broke something or even got a flat it could quickly turn a good trip bad. Plus I can always change my plans as I go, so if I get extra time or whatever I will be able to do more... that would be nice.

But you can bet I am printing and taking y'alls suggestions with me!

Old 08-04-2004, 04:34 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
I hear what your are saying, it not like you are towing a trailer queen jeep.... if it breaks down load it up and take it home, a break down could really throw off your schedule. I really don't think your truck would have any problem with anything I went over, my flatbed sticks out about a foot on each side. The road up to Hancock is just a reqular good dirt road and is not much futher than St.Elmo. Anywhere in this area will be nice camping including between St.Elmo and Alpine. The distance between Alpine and St.Elmo is about the same as the distance between St. Elmo and Hancock. It is easy to try and pack too much in, I like to have a little kick back time when I am on these trips too. One good thing is that you will have seen alot of country and will have an idea of where you will want to spend more time on the next trip. Last year I was lucky enough to have my picture taken by the famous 1849 Pepper Tree outside of Grapeland, Texas, checked off the been there done that list! ;') I will spend more time on the Gulf next time!

Old 08-04-2004, 05:41 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Sounds great.. I am thinking I will go as far west toward hancock as time allows. Thanks, and I will be sure to post pics when I get back...

Old 08-14-2004, 10:53 AM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Well I am back... had a blast. Thanks for all the tips and help!

First night palo duro.. it was hot

Second night denver, embassy Suites... Denver is really nice, very clean. Ate dinner on 16th street.. it was all very nicely done.

Third night we decided not to stay at Rocky Mountain NP.. way too crowded- but beautiful. We left there and drove to winter park and stayed off of moffet road. That was loads of fun and the weather was terrific.

Fourth night St. Elmo. Very nice... I loved all the old buildings. Not so much the one's in St. Elmo but back up Hancock pass.. it was all amazing.

Fifth night we were going to stay at the Great Sand dunes, but after getting covered in sand and not having showers or anything we decided to head on (we were going to leave the next morning anyways) and made it to Amarillo by 10:30 that night.

Overall we had the time of our lives, and were very disapointed to come back to the texas heat Thank you all, and I invy each of you for getting to live in such a wonderful state!

By the way, I had a nice problem near winter park.. if you camp much you might enjoy the story. here is the link Truck Problems

Also, there are a few pictures in my gallery. THANKS AGAIN!