Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Mid August Meet - Northwest Montana Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mid August Meet - Northwest Montana Area

OK folks, as my first duty as President/ Leader of the Drifters, I want to inform you all of what seems to be in the works as of now.

I know that our group covers a lot of square miles so this will be a come if you can plan. For the first official meet I think we can have some good times.

Right now the plan is to Drive to Kalispell, Montana and stay either in a local campground or mtflat has graciously offered the use of his land for camping, BBQing and even some shooting, if you are so inclined. You will only be up in this area for a couple few days, if you wish to later on drive down to Billings for the World Of Outlaws races. We also have an outstanding Stock Car track here in Kalispell and I don't have this years schedule on me at the moment, but I will get hold of it and post the races in August. I'm not sure, but I think our NW NASCAR race or the biggest race of the season is in august. More on that later.

Here are some of the comments so far for those who haven't followed all the posts.

Here's what I'd like to have happen from my end: August 14 - 22. I could take the 16th - 20th off. Roll out to Billings early Saturday (14th). Have a gathering of whoever could make it. Sunday (15th), have anyone who wanted too, head up to Kalispell for a few days. On Thursday (19th), head back to Billings. Take in the Outlaws. Head home to Bismarck on Saturday or Sunday.

I really want to get out into the mountains. I'd have to see if my friend could get that week off and come with. I figure it would be safer and more fun with someone along.

Let me know what you guys think. As I said earlier, I have to have an idea a fair amount ahead of time. I'm thinking that whether we have a big meet or not, I will still head out your guys' way on that week. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

-----------
Justin
88grandmarquis

Mattsbox99

I'll definitely be here that week... I'll have a guest here the first week of August, but after that everything should be clear...

Well, if y'all are going to come up my way..let's plan this out so that I can take some time off to be available to give you a halfway decent tour of the area. We have lots of Hotels or camping areas close to town and you may want to make reservations in the hotels early. I don't think finding a place to camp would be too hard...but I've never really paid attention since I don't camp out much anymore since getting hitched. ( Wife is terrified of bugs!! ) Also, what kind of camping are you into? Hard sided ( camper ) or tent? Do you like heavily populated campsites or primitive?

Anyway, let me know plenty ahead of time and I'll do what I can to help make arrangements and make some plans for the time you are up here.
Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Mattsbox99
I'm pretty sure I could ask for a few days off that week to come see ya, Dick, although I must confess, I'd really like to see Tims 41....

I'll have to wait for a few months before I ask for time off that week... I haven't even started at the job I will have when that time of year rolls around...

mtflat

I like Justin's plan of a tour - ROAD TRIP!! That week is open for me - here's some rambling thots - for what they're worth.

Keep in mind that is the peak of our tourist season - it can be tough to get a room in the flathead valley during August without reservations. Wide variety of accomodations from Hampton Inn to Motel 6 and Super 8 - and lots in between.

There are a couple of campgrounds (bathroom/showers) on the outskirts of town. Lots of primitive campgrounds on state land - pit toilets, some have running water, but no hookups. Minimal fees to none.

You could always camp at my place - we're on 5 acres next to state forest land, 12 miles outside town and there are no animals in the pasture at present - and free too! You could camp in the upper pasture and the lower pasture doubles as a rifle range ('bout 140 yds max) and for clay pigeons. All my neighbors shoot so they're pretty forgiving.
There is a water hydrant in each pasture, and if enough of you show up we could even rent a porta-potty from a neighbor. Gas grill and fire pit. If any of you are interested, let me know - anytime.

So..there's where we are right now. What do you all think? I know I can't afford to travel a lot, but for an initial meeting, with banners, and whatever else I can arrange from FTE at as minimal a price as possible, we could have a good time, you could see some of the great state of Montana and get this Drifters group off the ground officially. In future years, we can look at organizing road trips to other areas. Matter of fact, we can organize anything we want and use the FTE logos with the permission of the FTE admin.

Anyway.. if we have meets in various areas, we need someone there to take photos with a digital camera and email them to me to post in the future Drifters gallery. You will also need to assign someone at each meeting as a secretary to make a few notes to send along with the photos or to make a posting in the forum here noting the meeting, events, how it went and all. If you have any questions, let me know and I will do what I can to find out and help you in the events that I am unable to attend.

Come on guys and ladies...let's make this thing go... ya gotta start somewhere and once the ball is rolling, you never know how big it will grow.

Last edited by Fordlover1951; 05-04-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in. I'm willing to give one or two people a ride from Billings to Kalispell, and lodging here in Billings for a few. I'm also willing to be here for anyone that will be passing through. My phone number here is 406-238-0052.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:07 AM
MontanaFord
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August, huh? are we looking at a middle-of-the-week type of deal? or a weekend shindig? mid-week will be tough for me, but i can always just kinda swing out to wherever everybody's at after work if need be...boss ain't gonna like me much come bow season...lol...he'll either hafta choke on what i give him, or i may end up looking for new work...hope not...he's a pretty good guy, overall...lemme know more details...

Michael...

p.s. tim and 51...we should try and git together sometime for coffee...lemme know what ya think...

Old 05-06-2004, 02:05 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Wow, 600 mi, 12 hours for me from here... but if the better half is willing, we might go for it. I'm on vacation from Aug 15-22, so anytime in there would definitely be a go for me. We've been wanting to see your great state anyways, so this is the perfect excuse.

I'll get w/ the wife and post back a yea or nay later.

Great idea, guys!

Old 05-06-2004, 04:10 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Well, you already know that I'm going to be there Aug. 14 - 22. I'll have to check with my friend to see if he's going to come along. I should know by the end of May.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
if ya don't wanna drive to Kalispell, you can come down here too... Justin and I will be here....

Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Fordlover, I've got a decent digital camera (Kodak EasyShare 6230) if you want me to be one to take pics and notes. It'll give me an excuse to buy another memory card. I'll probably bring all my camera gear with anyway, so I'll be taking tons of pics on this trip. *note to self: buy film*

Just out of curiousity; what's the weather like in Billings and Kalispell in August? No doubt it will be miserably hot here in Bismarck. Anything special I should pack for camping?

---------
Justin

Old 05-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
you got it, it'll be miserably hot... all august...

Old 05-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Talking

I've got two digital cameras..one is a set of 10x binoculars with digicam and a Sony FD Mavica with a 10X zoom, but..you will want to bring lots of film for the drive up through Glacier Park. If we take the whole loop up over the top and then down and around the outside of the park home, it will be an early start and a full day. My suggestion though is to just Drive to the top, hike up the boardwalk ( or be lazy and snoop in the visitors center then turn around and enjoy the ride back down the side of the Garden Wall...YEAHH!!!) Be prepared in Glacier that the speed limit is only 45 MPH... but thats quite alright... there's plenty to look at. Even some freshly burned areas and hopefully they won't be in the midst of forest fires this year!!!

Have been telling the wife about this and she can't believe its really going to happen. I am really looking forward to this. I guess I'll get an email off to the webby and have him send me a hi rez FTE picture to print out as a banner or cards or something. Hmmmm..... FTE coffee cups for those that show...I'll have to check and see how much they cost to print and see if I can come up with the bux.

OK.. officially I am going to start making a list of planned attendees. Grandmarquis.. you can still do a write up of the event and I and mtflat will be there to answer any questions about the area. If any of you plan on bringing friends, please email me or post here how many people coming with you for sure, so mtflat and I can make appropriate plans. I'll start a thread named NW attendees and you can post only your username and how many people, and sleeping plans in there....camper, tent, hotel, etc.

mtflat and Montanaford.... my cell phone numbers are 249-2277 and 249-2287....never know which one I'll have with me. If you want to get together for coffee gimme a call a day ahead and I will plan on meeting with you someplace...like Cislo's or Bojangles?? or?? If you catch me when Im working out in the Junipers... let it ring... I may be too busy cursing and yelling OW!! to hear the phone at first. And I'll need time to go wash the blood off me arms before going anyplace where people eat.

Last edited by Fordlover1951; 05-07-2004 at 01:08 AM. Reason: fix da bold that wasn't
Old 05-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I'm also expecting some good stories. I trust you two old codgers should get the job done, but we should have some in reserves, just in case....

Old 05-09-2004, 06:13 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
I was wondering about which route I should take out to Montana. I have two options: 1. I-94 to Billings, then up to Kalispell; or 2. Go straight to Kalispell on Highway 2, then down to Billings on the way back.

Any pros or cons to either route? I don't want to get hung up in construction if I don't have too.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Originally Posted by 88grandmarquis
I was wondering about which route I should take out to Montana. I have two options: 1. I-94 to Billings, then up to Kalispell; or 2. Go straight to Kalispell on Highway 2, then down to Billings on the way back.

Any pros or cons to either route? I don't want to get hung up in construction if I don't have too.
We have highway construction almost all the way around us, but if you were to come to Kalispell via Highway 2, you'd miss it on the way. Leaving from here to go to Billings, going down the East Lake shore, hitting Highway 93 in Polson, you cruise down to I-90 and it will take you most of the way to Billings, I think. You could do it in reverse order too...Billings first, attach a chain to Matt and whomever in Billings is coming, then make it a caravan up I-90 to Missoula, a right turn on 93 and follow the signs to Kalispell. Either way is a good drive with spectacular scenery to enjoy along the way. Highwy 93 south of Kalispell has a short construction zone for a couple miles. If you come up from Billings first...make sure to go through Polson and stay on 93, coming up the west lake shore..better highway 98% of the way.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:50 AM
MontanaFord
Elder User

I think there's construction up in the Canyon, around Coram and Martin City...88 may want to go over to Billings and up I-90 and up 93 to come up...and when we do the run thru Glacier, we may wanna see about goin in the back way, on the Camas Road, instead of thru West Glacier...I'll check into the construction stuff, and find out if the entry at Camas Creek will be manned or not this year...

Michael

Old 05-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I'd personally suggest against the highline, you have ND tags, and you will get pulled over if you drive that route. If you can, fuel at Beach, and head straight through to Miles City before fueling again, Glendive is a bad town to stop in.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:13 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Mattsbox99
I'd personally suggest against the highline, you have ND tags, and you will get pulled over if you drive that route. If you can, fuel at Beach, and head straight through to Miles City before fueling again, Glendive is a bad town to stop in.

Seriously?! Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Mid August Meet - Northwest Montana Area