Sponsored by: DP Tuner

v10 vs diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-1999, 11:01 PM
MBernat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v10 vs diesel

which is better, v10 or diesel, and why?

Old 08-10-1999, 06:49 PM
Fred
v10 vs diesel

I'll try and break things into pros and cons
Gas- con- high fuel consumption, especially when pulling, not much torque in reserve for mountains.

Gas- pro- quieter, cheaper oil changes 7qts, but more often

Gas- con- needs "tune-ups", ie plugs, especially when towing, may need more than at factory recommended changes. On the v10, they are a bitch to change

Diesel- pro- better mileage, much more torque at lower rpms.

Diesel- con- noise, if you don't like it, more expensive oil changes up to 16 qts, at longer intervals though

Diesel- pro- has only fuel and air filters to change as required.

Diesel- pro- normally will outlast a gas motor under severe usage.

For any kind of serious towing, I'd get a diesel powered truck, the extra power, better mileage and the longer service intervals are a major plus.

Old 08-21-1999, 07:31 AM
Deen
v10 vs diesel

I think the question boils down to how much extra money you want to spend and how long do you plan on keeping the truck. I too contemplated on gas or diesel. Figure on how many miles you drive each year and then figure the difference between the gas engine getting 12 MPG and the Diesel getting 16 MPG (I know others claim higher/lower milage...depends on who you talk to). When I did some figuring it would take me 8 years to reach the break even point in the extra cost of buying a diesel, thats assuming no breakdowns or rebuilds. To rebuild the fuel system on a Ford diesel runs $3000-3500 (PSD), I can rebuild my 460 three times for that amount if I do most of the work myself. People claim 300,000-400,000 before major rebuilds for diesels but when I was looking at used trucks I saw a number of adds claiming "recently rebuilt" engines and they were in the 1990 to 1995 range. The diesel will definetly have more torque and towing power and that alone may justify spending the extra $4000-$5000 in purchasing price to you...besides they are "in" and that alone will give you bragging rights

Old 03-18-2000, 12:35 PM
fascaps
New User
v10 vs diesel

Im not so sure i agree with all of the above.
First the newer 7.3 direct injected motors get much better gas milage than the older direct injected or 6.9 motors.
Ive been around quite a few of these and to rebuild a one inside of that low of milage means the person just plain did not take care of the truck.
Personally I own the diesel motor. LOVE IT and that was the easy choice the hard one was if I wanted a extended cab or crew cab.
If your towing a heavy load hands down diesel is the way to go if not consider gas but even If I were not towing Id own the PSD just for the durability of the motor and with amsoil and some add on filters I dont even have to change my oil that often!

Old 09-24-2000, 10:09 AM
turbotime
New User
v10 vs diesel

Go Powerstroke for milage,durability,sounds better that the v10 that sounds like a sick 6 cylinder, Just change the oil and keep on going ..I get 17 in my 250HD 4x4 powerstroke and I hear people all the time saying they re getting 6.5 to 11 in a gas V10. V10 is cheaper to purchase new and there is a reason. drive both

Old 09-24-2000, 04:25 PM
deleontow
Laughing Gas
v10 vs diesel

Let me put it in a simple format. People who drive trucks for a living prefer the diesel. Gas does not have the durablilty of a diesel. Lower maint cost and more reliabilty. The other factor in our business is that our trucks many times will idel for long periods in extreme hot temps, diesels we dont have to worry about overheating at idel, were as gas we can not let them idle for long periods.

Been doing this for many years now and have seen the gas vs diesel a lot. You wont find to many tow trucks that are gas. That will tell you a lot.

Dave

http://a2ztowing.homestead.com/a2ztowing.html

Old 09-27-2000, 09:16 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
v10 vs diesel

Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM
brandonward
New User
v-10 vs PSD

I'm currently looking for a Ford F-250 or 350 crew cab. I have read several post regarding V-10 vs PSD. The problem that I'm having trouble is which to buy? I want to find one 1999-2002, because that is my price range. My needs are; I go wood cutting about three times a year and then the truck would be used for projects around the house. I'd rather have to much truck now, because who know what I might need the truck for in the future. Any advice if I should buy a v-10 or the PSD would be helpful?
Thanks

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonward
I'm currently looking for a Ford F-250 or 350 crew cab. I have read several post regarding V-10 vs PSD. The problem that I'm having trouble is which to buy? I want to find one 1999-2002, because that is my price range. My needs are; I go wood cutting about three times a year and then the truck would be used for projects around the house. I'd rather have to much truck now, because who know what I might need the truck for in the future. Any advice if I should buy a v-10 or the PSD would be helpful?
Thanks
Here is a couple pages to read about this. I don't think you will get much from this forum, being it is a diesel forum.

Click on this LINK.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey brandonward! Welcome to FTE! I looked in your profile info and it shows your in Idaho, correct? This is a really old thread, but opinions probably won't have changed much. I won't debate the engine preferences. Each person likes what they like. I like diesels so I found one. It will be cheaper to purchase a v10 from what I have seen around my parts. I don't think you will be unhappy with whatever choice. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Here is a couple pages to read about this. I don't think you will get much from this forum, being it is a diesel forum.

Click on this LINK.
YEAH. I managed to get 8000th post in this thread and I am going for 10,000 th

Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
YEAH. I managed to get 8000th post in this thread and I am going for 10,000 th
I think the crap they come up with is so funny. The 5.4 will pull as good as a PSD.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I think the crap they come up with is so funny. The 5.4 will pull as good as a PSD.
Rick , my best friend is a die hard chevy gas guy, and he hates diesels. He tries and tries to convince me why gassers are better.
But when I ask him to prove the facts, all he can come up with is "diesels stink and they're loud".....
Thats the reason I have that sticker on my rear window...

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Holy eleven year old thread Bat Man!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Woo hoo, over 10 years old! I do believe this is the oldest thread I've ever seen brought back to the top!

All kidding aside, check out that link Rick posted for you. Just remember, there is a lot of BS slinging going on in that thread too!

Stewart

Quick Reply: v10 vs diesel