Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

What tool brand you got most of?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:25 AM
BrotherD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see here. I have a Matco box filled with mostly Mac and Matco tools. Used to have more snapon. But new snapon guy is a pain. Today he stopped at our body shop but never came into the service dept. Had broken tools too

Old 10-03-2004, 10:19 AM
red68
New User
lots, and lots of craftsman. and some snap-on stuff to. i really like the older craftsman. they seem to be built better.

Old 10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Fair 96
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Snap On I really like how they dont cut your hands when using them...LOL

Old 10-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Mike65
New User
Red face

Mostly Craftsman, SK, & some Snap On.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:35 AM
theologian
Postmaster
most of my tools are craftsman, though I do have a number of snap on, and some metrench.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Heaterman
Senior User
Snap On, Craftsman and SK I like Milwalkee Power tools

Old 10-04-2004, 05:05 PM
01Screw4x4
Junior User
mostly craftsman. some kobalt, snap-on, popular mechanics stanley

Old 10-07-2004, 04:04 PM
ApexTools
New User
Wink

Kind of funny how I got here. I was searching for a SK distributor because someone said they had a bunch of tools that were broken and wanted to return them. Along in the process I found a thread in this forum about "what did you start with" "do you really need ALL those tools and "what do you have in your tool box."

By the way, I actually have loads of Craftsman and started with a set of "Plumb" sockets that were my Grandfathers and my Dad had in the basement until they mysteriously got adopted by me when I was working on go carts, bicycles and my mini bike (before I was 16 sometime in the dark ages of the 50's)

Since then someone relieved my car of the extra weight one night while I was bowling and all those tools that I had for about 30 years, and all that history, were probably off to some pawn shop. I would have bought them back just for the sentimental attachment, they weren't anything more than 3/8th thinwall sockets. (probably not intended at thinwall, just cheap)

But the question of SK and who made what where, like tools "made in the USA" that ended up stamped made in China and Made in Taiwan was also an issue.

S-K some history
It began in Chicago in 1921. That's when Sherman-Klove Screw Products Company began to manufacture precision tools for the then emerging automotive industry. It didn't take long for Sherman-Klove to develop a reputation as a world class producer of automotive tools.

In 1923, the company was purchased by John McDonough, an industrialist with strong marketing instincts. It was in that same year that McDonough first suggested selling tools in sets. With this revolutionary market approach, SK Hand Tool was born.

At the end of 1985, FACOM Tools of France acquired SK Hand Tool in a bid to enter the U.S. Market. FACOM is Europe's largest tool manufacturer and one of the top innovative tool companies in the world with 13 manufacturing facilities worldwide. SK is now celebrating ten years of successful partnership with FACOM.

Obvious I found this on one of their sites and NO I don't sell them or have a clue who does. Just that Facom bought SK in 1985.

I don't know who's still in business anymore. I tried to buy a particular Magna allen driver and the distributor I phoned said, they were out of the tool business. News to me, I found someone on the web that had what I needed. So are they or aren't they?

On topic. The obvious answer to what I have much of in my tool box is Apex from Dayton Ohio (now owned by Cooper Tools, another one bites the dust) but in the past Apex supplied automotive and truck assembly plants, Ford and others around the world. They never got into the consumer market and made only impact quality sockets and drivers.

Same way my first tools got into my first tool box, Apex tools have accumulated over the years. Need a special size, I'd order it for myself, instead of buying a whole set, to get on 13 mm deep socket. So it's quite a mixed "set"

When I want something that I'll use and possible break, I head for the local Sears store, because Craftsman has that guarentee. Or maybe some days I can get lucky and find something at a rummage sale that isn't an abused rusted piece of junk. Never considered pawn shops, but thanks for the tip guys.

My Aunt worked at a Sears in Chicago and she said people would forge Craftsman labels on tools, to return them and get a free replacement. Pretty funny.

The latch on my Craftsman tool box, which snapped, is NOT guarenteed? I took it to the store and the guy said, sorry, tools only...

Happy Trails!

(off to the races)

Old 10-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Ian F
Elder User
I have a hodge-podge collection of tools gathered over the past 20 years. Many Craftsman, of course, but also a good percentage of KD I bought when I worked at a auto parts store that sold them. Better than Craftsman, IMO. I've also bought a lot of Husky sockets recently. Better quality than new Crasftsman. Then I have a growing collection of Euro-tools for wrenching on the German cars we have.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Ian F
Elder User
Originally Posted by ApexTools
Obvious I found this on one of their sites and NO I don't sell them or have a clue who does. Just that Facom bought SK in 1985.
Facom tools are available through Griot's Garage, amoung other online sources. More expensive than Craftsman, but much less than Snap-on.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:18 AM
moosekingranch
Junior User
SNAP-ON
Bought my first set 20 years ago and have added ever since. Got tired of breaking everything else. Thanks to ebay, I have been able to afford to add to my collection when I really need something. Nowadays, I only buy more if I get a really good price.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:49 PM
1979fordf100
New User
Craftsman tools

Old 10-11-2004, 10:11 PM
fordtruckandtractor
Junior User
tools? I may need an intervention!

When it comes to tools, my theory is "If I need to borrow it once, I might better buy one!" I'm split 60-40, Snap-on and Mac. My first set of tools was a Craftsman "suitcase kit", and I had the ratchet broken within days. I soon replaced the sockets and wrenches with Snap-ons, too. For ratchets, I swear by Snap-on, and prefer the plastic-handled variety. I have NEVER broken a Snap-on ratchet, and the only ones I have had to get rebuilt were one I bought off ebay used, and one that got lost in the barn for a while and seized up. Mac ratchets are OK, but only account for 2 of my several ratchets. One busted a tooth the first time I used it, and the other is brand-spankin' new and only been used twice. Lately, I have been buying Mac, because the dealer is a good guy, most of the tools are equal to Snap-on in quality and price, and I haven't been able to get a Snap-on dealer to show his face around here. I sell S-K at my parts store, and absolutely HATE rebuilding their ratchets, which I have had to do more often than I feel should be necessary. Wrenches, regardless of brand, need to be full-polish. Most of mine are Snap-on, they have a better feel than any other I have held. I prefer Channellock brand pliers, and Vise-grip brand locking pliers. My air tools are almost exclusively Chicago Pneumatic, except for a few Blue-point that I picked up used. Specialty tools are mostly OTC (including some OEM Rotunda kits), with some Lisle and KD here and there. Cross reference some of your Snap-on, Mac, and Matco tools with an OTC, KD, or Lisle book and you'll find many of the tools are the same (but cheaper!). I have a Mac toolbox, and a Snap-on box, and really do like them, but Matco seems to have a better unit. I don't particularly think much of their TOOLS, however. Thexton and S&G have some spiffy specialty stuff, too. I have very few electric tools anymore, but all my cordless stuff is 12V Makita, and serves me quite well on the farm. Bottom line is, buy the best you can afford, buy American if at all possible, and keep an eye on it so it doesn't wander out of your shop! TomD, tool junkie

Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
edman04
Senior User
At home: 80 % Craftsman hand tools (Vaughan hammers). Makita, Dewalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, Black n Decker and Rigid (my new favorite brand) power tools. Ingersol Rand air tools.

At work (Millwright @ Ford Research and Engineering).: Proto, Snap On, MAC and Stanley Industrial Series hand tools. Dewalt, Hilti, Bosch, and Milwaukee power tools. Miller welding machines (MIG, TIG and ARC).

Old 10-12-2004, 01:04 AM
nitetrain350
New User
Craftsman.