6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Feb 03 build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:10 PM
r0cky
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feb 03 build?

Can anyone provide an opinion on a 2003 6.0 with a 2/03 build date as to whether it would likely have any injector, etc. problems. This is a 10K mile truck that was supposedly traded in on a Supercab for more room. Haven't see it yet but plan to Saturday. Is there anything I should look for under the hood that would indicate a potentially suspect engine?

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:56 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I have a May 03 build truck and LOVE mine...
I would have to think long and hard about anything prior to that !!!!
And I don't care WHAT the used car salesmen tells you about why it was traded in...It is probably not the truth because he probably didn't talk to the owner --- I would have difficulty trading in one that new if for nothing else thant he financial considerations...
Get an Oasis report for the VIN on the truck and see what Ford reports was done to it... Was it a buy back or replacement swap ???

Those prior build ones WERE problematic....
If you can get it for a SONG WITH a 100k warranty I woud consider it otherwise - pass !
There are a lot of incentives out there...

Old 05-20-2004, 10:19 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
I have an April 02, 03 build truck. I have a March 27th build engine and it is fine except for the rear main seal being replaced. It has quit leaking. Other than that, it has been a good truck. A Predator helps a lot too.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Hayapower!
Elder User
Originally Posted by r0cky
Can anyone provide an opinion on a 2003 6.0 with a 2/03 build date as to whether it would likely have any injector, etc. problems. This is a 10K mile truck that was supposedly traded in on a Supercab for more room. Haven't see it yet but plan to Saturday. Is there anything I should look for under the hood that would indicate a potentially suspect engine?

Thanks for the help!
RUN...and don't look back!!!

Sorta kidding here ...
But if the deal looks to good to be true.. It probably is.. And do have the report/vin run first as suggested to see whats been done to it..

But really I'd probably pass as well.. Mine is an 1/03 build and it is a 'blast' to drive for sure, BUT, I've had more probelms than I feel 'any' new car/truck owner should have after almost 40,000 bucks.. Not horrible ones.. But spoiled the 'pride in new ownership' for me.. I only speak for myself though.. But,, I've thought about a possible trade off and thought I'd tell the sales rep. that I just needed a longer bed, or 350 or 'whatever' but in all honesty, it would be because of the issues I've had/have and would'nt want to spook 'even' Ford.. There are 'alot' of owners that have great early build trucks, and I'm sure you hear from them as well, and 04's with some problems too, but I think you'd have a better chance at a trouble free rig if you can swing a later build.. If you drive it, it'll 'sink' the hook!!! Just my opinion.....Good Luck...

Problems I've had..
1. 3 Rear main seals/Rear engine cover sealed 2 times...(Not leaking now
2. Starter replacement
3. Broken radiator clamps/leaks
4. Hydro booster leak
5. Clunk/pop in driveline, getting worse (not fixed yet
6. Turbo Moan/Drone (really annoying, and Ford has no fix "yet"
7. I'm leaving this open!!!! just in case...

Old 05-20-2004, 10:39 PM
03f350crew
Senior User
I've got it. 2/03 Engine build date and I have had only the problems that seem to find their way into all the trucks. The only one that I had that I haven't seen here yet was a bad thermostat at 5,000 miles. I have the Oct flash which fixed the engine surging problem. If you buy it don't get anything later than the Oct 03 flash. Look for the bugs that the other trucks have. Leaking rear main seal, brake booster seal, Turbo drone, Etc. My truck has been great and I love it. I have the rear main seal issue but I still haven't been convinced that it is a leak as I have read some people think that it is assembly grease and mine hasn't formed a drip since it was wiped away, somebody will come in here and yell at me about the assembly grease thing but oh well. I think that JDadamsJR's advice on getting an oasis report is good advice and you should try it. Also do a carfax on the VIN as well just to be sure. Good luck and understand what you are buying because that is what alot of performance complaints are on here I believe. People bought 6.0's thinking that were going to behave as the 7.3 did or a cummins does or even a Duramax. The 6.0 is a high revving Diesel Engine that doesn't really kick in with the turbo until 1600 RPM whereas the other startout in the basement and then fall off. The 6.0 is at home on the highway or interstate, not doing farm hand work. Not saying it can't, just that it will be happier on the open road.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:27 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
03f350crew....
get a Diablo Predator and you will NEVER make that statement about no bottom end..
My Ex will literally burn the tires off as long as I want ....
How does less than 2 seconds 60 foot time sound... I've seen slips for 6-oh's doing that and mine personally did 2.3 when I didn't know ho to do it right yet...

Yes, I do have to build boost to burnout, but that's the nature of any turbo charged engine - it takes exhaust to get power and you can't get exhaust without giving it fuel, and .....

See - what comes first, the chicken or the egg ?!?!

build boost with a brake stand and hang on !
and I might suggest left foot on the brake and about 1000 rpms any time you have to QUICKLY pull out into traffic.... you won't have a problem outdistancing that ricer that's trying to intimidate you

Old 05-21-2004, 09:27 AM
03f350crew
Senior User
I have been using the power brake method since I bought the truck as a way to pull into traffic. I am just saying that the 7.3 is more inclined to perform better in their stock forms then the 6.0 in stop and start situations. But I do aggree with you that the 6.0 is amazingly quick once the boost comes on. And I to have made tennie boppers red in the face when they thought they were gone in the first few yards and then all they see and hear are squeeling tires and black smoke. Tim drove my truck and thought that it ran great and also did a pretty good little burnout in his driveway.