6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Pyro Install on 2004 F350 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:04 AM
n6nfg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pyro Install on 2004 F350 6.0

Those of you that paid someone to install a Pyro gauge, how much did you pay for labor? I have been getting quotes for up to $400 for labor, and another $180 for the gauge (Banks typically). They say the labor can take up to a full day. Is this true??

I found one shop that will install the Banks for $80. This now seems too good to be true, based on the other quotes I have received. I am going to call them again for details, but the first time they claimed the guy can do it in his sleep, and he removes the exhaust manifold to do the drilling for a pre-turbo install. This sounds really good if true!

Old 05-18-2004, 05:51 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n6nfg
Those of you that paid someone to install a Pyro gauge, how much did you pay for labor? I have been getting quotes for up to $400 for labor, and another $180 for the gauge (Banks typically). They say the labor can take up to a full day. Is this true??

I found one shop that will install the Banks for $80. This now seems too good to be true, based on the other quotes I have received. I am going to call them again for details, but the first time they claimed the guy can do it in his sleep, and he removes the exhaust manifold to do the drilling for a pre-turbo install. This sounds really good if true!

The $80 sounds better to me. I installed my own (pre-turbo). Other than the time to paint the pod, and find the light dimmer wire it took this novice about an hour and a half. I could probably do it now in an hour or less.

Old 05-18-2004, 05:59 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
purple, where did you put the thermocouple?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:09 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SBV45
purple, where did you put the thermocouple?
Drivers side exhaust manifold. As far back towards the firewall as possible.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 AM
$trokin60
Senior User
Please dont pay anyone to do this unless you have a physical dissability. I have done a few, they are fairly easy to do. the Exaust manifold is easy to drill and tap. You can order your gage and pod of choice from motorhaven.com, much cheaper than banks. Just follow the included instruction, and you shouldnt have any problems. hope this helps jerry.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:51 AM
$trokin60
Senior User
Please dont pay anyone to do this unless you have a physical dissability. I have done a few, they are fairly easy to do. the Exaust manifold is easy to drill and tap. You can order your gage and pod of choice from motorhaven.com, much cheaper than banks. Just follow the included instruction, and you shouldnt have any problems. hope this helps jerry.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:58 AM
n6nfg
Senior User
When people say they drill into the exhaust manifold, are you drilling into the bottom (from the floor) or from the top (from the hood)? Looking down from the top, it seems quite crowded, can imagin getting a drill into there. Any chance of some pictures? Is the placement into the manifold itself, or is it the pipe (one of the ports, or after all 4 ports converge??

Old 05-18-2004, 12:23 PM
$trokin60
Senior User
You drill on the underside of the cast iron manifold. lay on the ground and drill up into the manifold. I have drilled mine just before where the manifold makes an upward turn. Start out with a smaller bit, and try to drill perpandicular to the manifold. then go to the size bit that is called for in the instructions. After that use a shop vac with the nipple fitting (can be purchased from wall mart in shop vac department) to vaccume out the metal shavings. then spray some oil or WD-40 or equvilant in the hole, and start the tap. be sure to back the tap out occasionally and restart it unitl tap goes all the way through the hole. vaccume again or use an allen key with a magnet attatched to remove metal fileings, then start engine and let run for a few seconds. A few metal filings will not hurt the Exaust side of the turbo.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:35 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the tap included with the gauge kit?

Old 05-18-2004, 02:38 PM
$trokin60
Senior User
The tap is usually not included. but they should have instructions on what size drill bit and tap you need. or you could take the probe assembly to any hardware store and have them match the threads to a tap and get you the correct drill bit. After reading your post again $80.00 does seem resonable, especially if you have to buy the drill bits and tap, or if you have to paint the gage pod. I keep thinking other people have tools like me.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:42 PM
turbotom
Freshman User
Did mine Sunday, just layed under truck drilled a 1/4" hole followed by a 5/16" vacuumed out the chips. Tapped the hole 1/8 NPT vacuumed again then screwed the probed in. Total time 10 minutes, it took a lot more time to mount and wire the gauge, but all is working well.

Tom

Old 05-19-2004, 05:34 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by n6nfg
When people say they drill into the exhaust manifold, are you drilling into the bottom (from the floor) or from the top (from the hood)? Looking down from the top, it seems quite crowded, can imagin getting a drill into there. Any chance of some pictures? Is the placement into the manifold itself, or is it the pipe (one of the ports, or after all 4 ports converge??
N6NFG, click on my club FTE link by my user name and go to my web site. Click on the truck link. You will find a picture of where to mount the probe in the manifold. It is done from under the truck. Real easy access.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:06 PM
n6nfg
Senior User
Originally Posted by purplewg
N6NFG, click on my club FTE link by my user name and go to my web site. Click on the truck link. You will find a picture of where to mount the probe in the manifold. It is done from under the truck. Real easy access.
Picture looks good, that is where I figured you meant. I was concerned about having the probe too close to the socket access for the bolt above and slightly left, might have to remove the probe if this bolt ever needs to be removed.

Whose gauge pod do you have? I was looking for a dual pod, and it looks like Motorhaven only sells a triple, not a dual. Whose gauges are they, they don't look like banks or isspro.

What path did you take into the passenger compartment, and does the probe wire disconnect from the probe for routing purposes?

So many questions, so few answers

Old 05-19-2004, 05:22 PM
super duty
New User
Does anyone know of a gauge pod that doesn't require elimination of the pillar grab handle?

Old 05-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by super duty
Does anyone know of a gauge pod that doesn't require elimination of the pillar grab handle?
Jeez, how many times do I have to post this

The X-Monitor from BD-Power will measure EGT, boost, tranny temp in one compact package that lets you keep the pillar handle.

It is a digital display though not a conventional analog display.

Check Motorhaven, if they don't have it on their site yet, I'm sure that they can order it. You can find more info on the BD-Power web site.

Mine works great, and I also have the optional CES (cool engine shutdown) module. It keeps the truck clanking away until it has cooled down to your preset shutdown temp. Just turn off the key and get out and walk away.

If for some reason truck doesn't cool down to your preset temp, like for example you set the temp unrealistically low, the truck will then shut down after a timeout period - 5 or 10 minutes or something like that. It will also shutdown if you press the brake pedel.

Daryl

Quick Reply: Pyro Install on 2004 F350 6.0