6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Pyro Install on 2004 F350 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:47 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Daryl....
Know your teasing, but it is a New member !!!

And he may not know your just full of
hot air

Welcome Super duty !!! We tease a LOT around here
The bd X Monitor is a good unit !
You can get either the 3 mode or a 2 mode with EGT and Boost or... lot's of options
I too like my 03 Ex's grab handle - but even with the X monitor if it's not already trimmed it make take a slight cup to fit under the handle...

Give our buds Motorhaven a call - they be good guys and gals !
and here's some info on the unit http://www.dieselperformance.com/for...Gauges&tt=ford

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 05-19-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:50 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Is there a single gauge holder for those of us that only want one?

Old 05-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I was teasing, hence the smiley. Please don't take it personally Super Duty.

The question is asked so frequently though that I'm thinking of writing a macro so something so I can just press a button and post a response with the info.

Maybe we need a sticky with a FAQ for gauge, exhaust, and other favorite options. Should probably also include a link to installation instructions with photos for the pyro probe in both pre and post turbo positions.

The site has a great search feature, but for new users, perhaps the sticky FAQ would be a good starting place.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:11 PM
super duty
New User
Geeezzz, can't a guy ask an innocent question around here without takin' 40 lashes Actually, I knew he was kiddin. I don't have much luck with the search function yet on this site...still learnin how to get it to work. Checked the BD-Power web site and the picture of the pillar mounted unit wasn't large enough to really see how it looks mounted. The dash/steering column image was large size. That application, I must say, isn't too attractive IMHO. Best look seems to be the pillar pod but then, there goes the grab handle. Any other gauge location ideas?

Old 05-19-2004, 07:28 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
weLL !!! so you don't think ours are pretty, huh ?!?!!?
but you do paint it to match the dsah and it blends right in and all you really see is the display....

Again - call Motorhaven tomorrow, they can give you some good ideas !

Some have put them in the cubby hole near the gearshift,
some have mounted on the dash - Check Choctaw Bob's gallery -
think he did his that way...

good luck !

Old 05-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by super duty
Geeezzz, can't a guy ask an innocent question around here without takin' 40 lashes Actually, I knew he was kiddin. I don't have much luck with the search function yet on this site...still learnin how to get it to work. Checked the BD-Power web site and the picture of the pillar mounted unit wasn't large enough to really see how it looks mounted. The dash/steering column image was large size. That application, I must say, isn't too attractive IMHO. Best look seems to be the pillar pod but then, there goes the grab handle. Any other gauge location ideas?
The X-Monitor will let you keep your Pillar handle. The X fits right under the handle quite nicely.

Daryl

Old 05-20-2004, 05:41 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n6nfg
Picture looks good, that is where I figured you meant. I was concerned about having the probe too close to the socket access for the bolt above and slightly left, might have to remove the probe if this bolt ever needs to be removed.

Whose gauge pod do you have? I was looking for a dual pod, and it looks like Motorhaven only sells a triple, not a dual. Whose gauges are they, they don't look like banks or isspro.

What path did you take into the passenger compartment, and does the probe wire disconnect from the probe for routing purposes?

So many questions, so few answers
I can't seem to remember where I got the two gauge pod sorry. Just do a Google search on gauge pods. You will find a ton of them. If I find my source I will re-post. My gauges are Autometer Phantoms. The path I took was through a rubber grommet built into the firewall right near the bottom of where the probe is. When you are up under there you will see it. You might be able to see it in my picture also. Yes, the probe wire can be disconnected. The probe comes with a built in harness about 12" long. You then attach the extender harness to that. You are unable to modify the length of the cable due to calibrations.

Ask all your questions here. Someone will assist. I'm sure someone will make funnies also.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Deuce33
Freshman User
got my 2 gauge pod and 1704 from moterhaven , install was about 2 to 3 hours but that was not steady work and taking time to make sure it was right so did not have to do it the second time .

Old 05-20-2004, 07:16 PM
ninelives 59
Senior User
Make sure you remove the manafold before you start drilling!

Old 05-20-2004, 10:25 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ninelives 59
Make sure you remove the manafold before you start drilling!
Why remove it first? Sounds like a few have drilled from underneath.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
A number of people have drilled and tapped successfully without removing the manifold. At least their trucks are still running fine after the operation.

There are a few techniques that I've seen in posts on the subject. The first was to have the truck idling while drilling. The idea is that this puts a positve pressure inside the manifold and blows out any chips that otherwise might fall in the manifold as you penetrate it. Same for tapping.

The other method was to use a shop vac to apply suction while drilling and tapping and then to take a Q-tip and try to capture any chips that might have fallen inside the manifold. Finally follow up with a magnet to try to remove them.

I just took my manifold off and did it all on my drill press and work bench. That way I was able to inspect the manifold and determine just where I wanted to put the hole and probe. No worry about chips - and there were a lot of them. Just used the air compressor to blow the manifold clean before reinstalling it.

If you do go the remove the manifold route, jack up the truck and remove the left front tire. Use plenty of safety stands of course. The manifold itself was very easy to unbolt from the block. The only hard part was the two bolts on the rear that secure the manifold to the pipe that feeds the turbo. There isn't a lot of clearance to get to the nuts on the back side of those bolts.

Either way you go, the pyro probe and meter is a nice addition to the truck.

Daryl