1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pyro temp probe melted after intall.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:05 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pyro temp probe melted after intall.....

As mentioned some other threads, my dad came by today for me to install gauges, pillar pod, and valve body. Well, i had nothing but trouble with everything....

On the EGT temp, he had a pyro temp already installed for an Edge monitor that came with the truck. There was also a tranny temp gauge already installed and "rigged" to the pillar. Since an EGT was already installed my job just got a lil easier without having to drill and tap the manifold, or so i thought. I changed everything out from the existing hardware and installed the new hardware for the Isspro EV2 gauges to be installed. I got everything wired up and installed in the pillar then we turned the key on to check it out and began to smell something burning. Tracked it down to the harness plug in for the egt probe. The one with the stainless metal sheathing. Unhooked it and found the following...

The yellow wire had melted all the insulation off of it. In trying to trouble shoot it, we disassembled the plug and pealed back some of the insulation and "rigged" it back with some electrical tape so nothing would touch anymore. Plugged it all back up, and there was no more melting wires. GOOD!! But not so good cuz now nothing worked. The egt gauge nor the trans gauge register anything at all. Nothing. Uggggghhhh!!!!

What could have gone wrong? I did my gauge install no problem a few years ago and did everything the same but now nothing works. I used the existing wire for the existing trans gauge to tap for ignition, power, and dimmer. The only thing i really noticed was the connector for the pyro gauge may not have properly seated in the back of the gauge in the pillar, not sure if that would affect anything. I double checked all my wires and everything looks good. Im at a loss for what could have happened.

So my dad came over today with a trans temp and egt temp, and after i "installed" his new gauges, he leaves with nothing, cuz as mentioned in another thread i did not know where to tap for the boost gauge cuz it does not have an AIH for me to remove and tap into like mine did.

Any info/help/guidance is appreciated. He is gonna come back tomorrow and we can trouble shoot again.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:25 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Was there a fuse in the power feed -It may have cooked but by the looks of those wires Im guessing No

Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

well, dug into it again today and discovered bad ground and power connections. I tapped into the correct wires, but upon further examination the taps didnt make that good of a contact. With good connections now, everything works good. Even the wire rigging we did yesterday with the electric tape to "repair" the melted wire harness that was damaged. Everything is working fine. Im just curious as to why the wire overheated to begin with. When we skinned it back, it may have had a bare spot in the braided sheathing that may have allowed to two wires to touch.??? i dunno. But it all works now, so at least i got that going in the right direction......

Old 04-13-2014, 02:59 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Sounds good- Glad you got it working -Loose connections or a short will cause over amping (high current draw) & can melt wires like that. Usually and hopefully a fuse will blow first. Might check & see what size the fuse that your power circuit is tied into just to be on the safe side.