Fifth wheel trailer towing (trailer not level)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 10:55 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you post specifications of the parts, not only part numbers such as those that have already been posted.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:47 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
HERE is a source that agrees with me:

Hi Russell, Several places in the emails that are posted on my site have I gone into detail about this issue. I truly understand how confusing it is. I'm actually the only one I've heard explain how close the F250 and F350 are. I have heard several salespeople tell people about more leafs in the springs, which isn't true, it was true in the 97 model and older. And Ford does give a different weight rating on the springs and axles but for what I don't know. And GM does the same thing. They get rapped up in have the bragging rights to more configurations. The F250 has a GVWR of 8800#'s and the F350 has a GVWR of 9900#'s. The axle rating is about 900#'s more for the F350 on the same axle. But the truth lies in the trailer tow ratings that are the same. Some places Ford posts 100# heavier fifth wheel trailer weight on the F350.

In the 97 model and older the F250 and F350 had different axles and springs but not since the new Super Duty came out in 98 as a 99 model. It's up to the manufacture to decide what weight rating to put on their axles and springs in relation to their warranties and the SAE and government guidelines. I have discussed it with Ford.
The parts are listed together HERE.

We will know for sure soon as I have sent an email to Ford directly to put this argument to rest. If I turn out to be wrong I'll eat my words.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 06-21-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:19 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
As promised, I am posting my response from Ford about the leaf springs. I used the 2002 model year as an example and here is what Ford had to say:

Dear John,

Thank you for your message of 06/24/04 regarding the 2002 Ford F-250
and 2002 Ford F-350. We appreciate the time you have taken to inquire
about the rear leaf spring specifications of these vehicles.

Thank you for your interest in our products and services. Rugged,
practical, capable, innovative - these are clearly qualities of Ford
F-Series Super Duty trucks.

In an effort to assist, we have researched your inquiry and according
to
our records, the rear leaf spring specifications for the 2002 Ford
F-250
and 2002 Ford F-350 are the same.
They are:

Super Duty Series/Model: F-250/F-350 SRW Pickup
Combined Rating @ Ground: 6830 pounds (lbs.)
Number of Leaves: 6
Total Thickness @ Pad: 3.86 inches (in.)
Overall Length: 58.1 in.
Width: 3.00 in.
Deflection Rate (lbs. per in./ spring): 320/670/1209
Rating Each @ Pad (lbs. per spring): 3603

We hope this information is of assistance to you. Ford's goal is to
make your ownership experience an enjoyable one. Your loyalty is
valued
and appreciated. We would like you to continue to enjoy the many Ford
products and services that we have to offer.

At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as
one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries
or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to
address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Maggie
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center

Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Excellent follow through, John! Thanks for going the extra mile and posting back.
Now go to the head of the class

Scott

Old 06-30-2004, 01:15 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great post and follow-up John.
Can we get this added to the sticky in the SD forum? Maybe it will finally put this debate to rest

Old 06-30-2004, 09:08 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Great post and follow-up John.
Can we get this added to the sticky in the SD forum? Maybe it will finally put this debate to rest
Already done! I was thinking the same thing.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by horsepuller
Excellent follow through, John! Thanks for going the extra mile and posting back.
Now go to the head of the class

Scott
Thanks Scott. I was just trying to finally put this debate to rest with the ultimate source, Ford.

Old 07-06-2004, 12:23 AM
psdpower
Elder User
Yum, crow does taste like chicken. Seriously though no one at the dealership could provide me with specs and it turns out the search they did was for 2wd and 4wd. I like a guy who will go further than me to prove a point, John good work.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
bossmanmark
New User
Parts department blank stare. TSB needed

Lowering rear of truck simple thing. I go to my local dealership parts department ask about lowering my F-350 SWR and they no nothing about spacer blocks heights and u-bolt kits or a TSB.
They tell me I am first person to ask about lowering the bed height.
So I venture over to my service rep. who I have know for years and he says that if I give him a TSB number he can have service department do the work and not void my warranty. Good point you know they always look for a out if there is any problems with the truck.
Back story I buy a used three horse gooseneck horse trailer hook it up and it is nose high lower it to 4 inches from bed rails still nose high. Pull the wheels to see if it has adjustable torsions no luck, don't really want to raise the trailer with horse trailers already have a high cg. when loaded. right now when I tow the front trailer tires smoke when the brakes are over 3 no real braking help from the trailer.
The truck is a 2011 F-350, 6.7, SWR, SWB, with the 20" wheels.
Been looking here for the TSB or parts numbers for my truck but not having any luck. I am thinking of having the dealer do the work lowering the truck so the warranty in not voided. Looking for the link or TSB number.
Horse show season is coming soon and my wife will be driving the truck many miles right now the braking is weak and the horses are not riding level that is not good for long days of hauling.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by bossmanmark
Lowering rear of truck simple thing. I go to my local dealership parts department ask about lowering my F-350 SWR and they no nothing about spacer blocks heights and u-bolt kits or a TSB.
They tell me I am first person to ask about lowering the bed height.
So I venture over to my service rep. who I have know for years and he says that if I give him a TSB number he can have service department do the work and not void my warranty. Good point you know they always look for a out if there is any problems with the truck.
Back story I buy a used three horse gooseneck horse trailer hook it up and it is nose high lower it to 4 inches from bed rails still nose high. Pull the wheels to see if it has adjustable torsions no luck, don't really want to raise the trailer with horse trailers already have a high cg. when loaded. right now when I tow the front trailer tires smoke when the brakes are over 3 no real braking help from the trailer.
The truck is a 2011 F-350, 6.7, SWR, SWB, with the 20" wheels.
Been looking here for the TSB or parts numbers for my truck but not having any luck. I am thinking of having the dealer do the work lowering the truck so the warranty in not voided. Looking for the link or TSB number.
Horse show season is coming soon and my wife will be driving the truck many miles right now the braking is weak and the horses are not riding level that is not good for long days of hauling.
You want to lower your trucks rear a bit...then buy F250 blocks for the rear axle..they are just over 2" vs 4" for the F350.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM
bossmanmark
New User
F-250 blocks have same part number is what I was told. But the parts guys at the stealer have a government employee mentality, change, modify or think not in their job description. Do you know the part numbers are they flat or tapered? Thanks for any help.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by bossmanmark
F-250 blocks have same part number is what I was told. But the parts guys at the stealer have a government employee mentality, change, modify or think not in their job description. Do you know the part numbers are they flat or tapered? Thanks for any help.
Tousely Ford, one of the site sponsors is who I would contact and buy from.

I don't know the part # but they certainly will.