6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

leave engine on when refilling???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:08 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NO thanks, I won't be trying the paper cup trick !

It's not that important a point to me :-) and besides I've learned my lesson ---->

When younger (and even dumber if you can believe THAT!) Dad had us rake the leaves into the ditch and burn them.... well the humidity was high and I never did get the hang of those little folding matches - never liked putting my finger ON the match head to get enough pressure !!!

Longer story longer --- Bright 12 yr old that I was told my two sisters to wait while I ran to the garage and got the gas... poured just a bit...
and knowing the whoosh factor stood too far back and couldn't get the match to light it when I threw it... so I run to get the big "kitchen" matches and you know the rest of the story !!!!!

While all the running around, the gas had a chance to vaporize, the leaves held the vapors close in the ditch...
when the kitchen match hit it it actually exploded !!!

No one was hurt but both my sisters are running into the house crying cuz it scared the liquid out of them..
I had to rake all the leaves since few burned and most blew up and all over the yard again !!!!!!!

And I learned that I didn't like that playing with fire stuff

Old 05-19-2004, 12:00 PM
pocobueno
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get strange looks at the pumps from the gasburners when i leave the engine on. You'd think i was endangering the whole state.

poco

Old 05-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The return line from the engine will get the fuel hot enough to vapor flash the tank if you drive long enough at a time. The rest of the fuel in the tank will not explode or burn though.

Many years ago I was in a rest area in Iowa and this truck driver held a Bic lighter over the fuel tank opening to see how much fuel he had left in the tank because the guage did not work. The tank he picked had the return line in it. The vapors in the tank did ignite, he did catch the flash with his face, melted his hair in the front.
That was a 200 gallon tank over half empty though.

One of the little thing from my driving years that I will never forget.

But then if that had been gasoline, there would have been a big hole in the ground, and he would have been dead instead of burnt.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:08 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
The return line from the engine will get the fuel hot enough to vapor flash the tank if you drive long enough at a time.
In the newer engines there is no return fuel line. That's what caused the infamous "cackle" in the 1999 and newer 7.3 PSDs.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:36 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Many years ago I was in a rest area in Iowa and this truck driver held a Bic lighter over the fuel tank opening to see how much fuel he had left in the tank because the guage did not work. The tank he picked had the return line in it. The vapors in the tank did ignite, he did catch the flash with his face, melted his hair in the front.
Once again, natural selection has failed to work.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:48 AM
MichiganMarc
Freshman User
Hi All,

I'm really new to this forum, but not to Super Duty trucks. I've owned a 99 2WD with a v10 and a 02 4X4 with a v10 also.Both were supercab SB SRW. 2 days ago, I took delivery of my 04 CC 4X4 with a 6.0L PSD. So far, I love this truck. However, there are still some things that I need some advice on. Is there one place thats better for buying fuel than another? There seems to be a huge difference in diesel prices in my area. I've found it as cheap as $1.75 and as much as $1.95. is there a difference? Does anyone here know of a filling station or brand that I should avoid? A friend in the area said I should avoid Speedway. I think that may just be a biased opion though. Any help you all could offer weould be appreciated. I want to take care of my truck and see to it that it lasts a really long time. Also, does anyone know why I can't post a picture of my truck here? Thanks

Old 05-20-2004, 06:02 AM
04superduty
Elder User
Get a pan of diesel, put it on the stove and heat to 150, then toss a match in and see if it ignites johnsdiesel. Diesel isnt as combustible, but it does contain more btu that gas, so you should still be careful with it. by the way i was just kidding on putting a pan of diesel on the stove.

Last edited by 04superduty; 05-20-2004 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:12 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Michigan Marc, Welcome to the site. Don't pay any attention to suggestions like 04superduty just made. He was funnin (I hope) with Johsdiesel.

Anyway, IMO try to use vendors that seem to move a lot of diesel. Like truck stops or really busy filling stations. I don't know and haven't seen any evidence that one brand is better than the other. Use an additive like Stanadyne or PS and there are others. Do a search on fuel additives. Your fuel injectors will thank you for it.

I don't know why you can't post pictures. I have tried before with no success and others have. I don't know the secret.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:26 AM
pocobueno
Junior User
Originally Posted by MichiganMarc
Hi All,

I'm really new to this forum, but not to Super Duty trucks. I've owned a 99 2WD with a v10 and a 02 4X4 with a v10 also.Both were supercab SB SRW. 2 days ago, I took delivery of my 04 CC 4X4 with a 6.0L PSD. So far, I love this truck. However, there are still some things that I need some advice on. Is there one place thats better for buying fuel than another? There seems to be a huge difference in diesel prices in my area. I've found it as cheap as $1.75 and as much as $1.95. is there a difference? Does anyone here know of a filling station or brand that I should avoid? A friend in the area said I should avoid Speedway. I think that may just be a biased opion though. Any help you all could offer weould be appreciated. I want to take care of my truck and see to it that it lasts a really long time. Also, does anyone know why I can't post a picture of my truck here? Thanks

Diesel does decompose over time so the fresher the better. I buy my fuel from places that sell a lot of diesel - mainly truck stops and the like. I know of no one place or brand to avoid; just buy from a place that sells a lot of fuel.

poco

Old 05-20-2004, 09:05 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 04superduty
Get a pan of diesel, put it on the stove and heat to 150, then toss a match in and see if it ignites johnsdiesel. Diesel isnt as combustible, but it does contain more btu that gas, so you should still be careful with it. by the way i was just kidding on putting a pan of diesel on the stove.
I'm not going to heat up diesel and try and light it. My point is that some of you are simply paranoid in trying to scare people from keeping their truck running while refueling. You have a greater chance of winning the lottery than igniting diesel fuel while refueling. Don't make people paranoid for no reason.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:05 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Aw shucks John !!!!
wanted to video that !

Old 05-20-2004, 01:49 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Aw shucks John !!!!
wanted to video that !
Sorry, I don't have any recipes that call for diesel fuel so it won't be going in the oven any time soon.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
When I was 16 and 17 years old, I worked at a truck stop as an island boy. Truckers hardly ever turned off their trucks when coming in to refuel. They'd even go in and have dinner sometimes and leave them klanking away at the pump.

This has been a pretty standard practice to this day at any truck stop I've ever been to to fill up my F-250

A couple of years later while in the service in Korea back in 1978/9, we had a stove that burned fuel oil.

The stove was a little smaller than a 55 gallon drum, maybe 35 gallons or so, and had basically a large pan in the bottom where the fuel oil ran in to the stove for burning. There was a spot on the side of the stove to hang a 5 gallon fuel can, and a stove pipe that ran out the top. You unscrewed the top of the fuel can and screwed on a siphon pump tube that fed into the stove.

Once you opened the valve that fed the fuel in to the stove, you pumped the handle of the siphon tube to start the siphon action and get the fuel flowing.

The next step was to open a door into the burner and then take a coat hanger with a piece of cloth on the end of it and swish it around in the puddle of fuel that was forming in the bottom of the burner pan. You would also try to swish some fuel up on to the side of the burner pan too.

Then you light the piece of cloth tied to the end of the coat hanger and try to get the fuel oil ignited. If the stove was cold, about the only way to do it was to light some of the fuel that you had splashed up on to the side of the burner pan. If you just put the lit cloth into the puddle of fuel oil, the flame would be extinguished - even if the stove was warmer than 150 deg.

The stove was inefficient as all get out and any modern day kerosun heater would produce way more heat on much less fuel oil. The fuel oil by the way was the same stuff that ran our 100 and 300 kW diesel site backup power generators.

I have a CES module that I've set to shut the truck down when the EGT has cooled to 350 deg, but the moral of the story is that I'm not too worried about leaving the truck running while I refuel.

Daryl