Sponsored by:

Very HOT Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Will_01_GT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very HOT Calipers

I have a 96 EB, I just when thru a pair of brake pads and warped a pair of rotors in 7 months, I replaced both so that not a problem, but my question is does any one else have calipers that get super hot to the touch after driveing maybe 30 miles wil braking, I thinking I'm going to need a new set of calipers, but any thoughts ....
TIA
-Will

Old 04-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
how are the rear brakes? it seems like your truck is only using the fronts to stop. I would check and make sure the rear brakes are adjusted and working properly. just my .02

Jeff

Old 04-25-2004, 01:26 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jdenninger
how are the rear brakes? it seems like your truck is only using the fronts to stop. I would check and make sure the rear brakes are adjusted and working properly. just my .02

Jeff
I agree on checking your rear brakes, as far as how hot they should get, even under normal braking, the calipers rotors and hubs can get extreamly hot to the touch, now as far as how hot is too much thats kinda hard to answer, but i've seen brake components after moderate braking that would blister you if you touched them imediatly after. hope this helps some, unless your calipers are leaking or sticking i wouldn't worry with them, but if there getting that hot i would change the brake fluid, put on new top quality brake pads and check the rear brakes. Good luck! DW

Old 04-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Will_01_GT
Senior User
I agree on the fronts doing all the work, any tips on checking the rear adjustments? I've never done this, but I have a hanyes manual so, I'd like to at less give it a try.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
only thing i can think of is to raise the rear tires off the ground set the parking brake, chock the front wheels, put the truck in nuetral and try to turn the wheels by hand. if they turn chances are the brakes are adjusted. That is if your parking brake cable is still connected. When was the last time the rear brakes were done. you may want to pull the tires and drum off and make sure that the adjuster isn't frozen. that would prevent the rears from autoadjustng. Some cars/trucks rely on the parking brake to be set periodically to adjust the rear brakes. My 97 ranger was that way.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

this may sound like a stupid question but....did u leave your p-brake on like i did?

Old 04-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Destroyer
Junior User
Brakes will get HOT! they use presure and friction to stop the truck. try this put your hands together and rub them back and forth, they get warm, now do this at 30 mph and add 4000lbs,(your truck) its going to be hot.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
yes brakes do get hot but when they warp the rotors in seven months there is a definite problem. rotors under normal use shouldn't warp. Even in stop and go traffic with my vehicles my rotors never warped because brake usage.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:49 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did this due to a bad ABS module, the front pads were dragging. Cost me a few hundred bucks for the module though.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:11 PM
wiggit
Senior User
just from owning a few muscle cars and now my bronco i've learned that the type of rims you run plays a big part in getting air to the brakes and rotors too cool them.Had a firebird with centrelines on it,no holes in the rims.I would kill the rotors in about 4 months.They are get for show or 1/4 mile runs but daily driving would heat them up like crazy.Stock rims on my 80 bronco with the holes still i belive is why i replace my pads every 8 months or so, just not enough air flowing by.All brand new brakes too,so backs are working and set up fine.