1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

powerstroke "cackle"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 06:34 PM
DDexter
powerstroke "cackle"

My new 2000 350 super duty powerstroke has what the engineering department has determined is a "fuel cackle". Which sound for all the world to be a rod knock.Has anyone else encountered this problem? Also does anyone know where I can find the Web address or telephone number to contact Ford directly? Thanks DDexter

Maggie@plainfield.bypass.com

Old 12-23-1999, 09:11 AM
dberry
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powerstroke "cackle"

Maggie,

My 2000 F-450 is apparently making the same noise as it sounds like a rod is knocking when at very low speeds (around 35 mph). Is that the speed yours is happening at?

Dave

Old 12-26-1999, 07:17 PM
Don
Junior User
powerstroke "cackle"

Dave
Thanks for your reply The cackel happens around 1200 to 1400 in overdrive and at an idle. I received an special service message #13116 from my Ford dealer regarding fuel cackle trying to explain the knock. According to one of the answers from someone else having the same problem Ford is suppose to have an answer sometime the later part of January. Apparently we are not alone with the problem. Keep in touch should you hear anything further. Thanks Don

Old 12-29-1999, 10:42 AM
Scott
Junior User
powerstroke "cackle"

I just picked up a new F-250 diesel last Friday and I'm having this problem as well. When I took my truck back to the dealer, the service people said the noise was an injector problem in the number 8 cylinder, and that Ford was working on a fix. Does anyone know where I can get more information on this problem, and does anyone know if there are any wear or other long term effects?
I was assured by the service department that this was just an irritating noise, but to be honest it sounds like more than that.
Thanks, Scott

Old 12-29-1999, 11:44 AM
whd507
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
powerstroke "cackle"

some of the people that I hang around with are having good results fixing the cackle by raising the fuel pressure in the rail. shimming the regulator is the preferred method.the preferred pressure seems to be about 125 psi.
also the trucks that dont have the cackle seem to have 70 psi or better fuel pressure, and below seem to have the noise.

Old 12-06-2000, 05:22 PM
edward
New User
powerstroke "cackle"

There is a phone number to Ford 1-800-393-3673 .. which is about the best you will probably ever get. This is the customer service that will assist you. However, they are limited in what they can do. After much discovery .. the service departement manager, the dealership owners, and the area representative play a huge part in getting help. Have you ever heard of the term DUSTED for a ford diesel engine? It is a term used for what happens to a truck if the RECALL is not fixed in time. TO get more info on this, contact ford_diesel_ps(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 12-06-2000, 05:27 PM
edward
New User
powerstroke "cackle"

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-Dec-00 AT 09:07 PM (EST) by alanscott (moderator)[/font][p]

Old 12-06-2000, 08:58 PM
jbhf250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
powerstroke "cackle"

Maby some help here>>. My post in another forum>>>

1. "RE: F ork O ver the R efund D arnit!!!"
04-Dec-00, 00:13 AM (EST)

I can say that I have never been your shoes.. I purchased a 1999 CONTOUR in 5/99. There were some concerns that I reported to FORD at the ford web site, I registered the car. I reported Low tire Preasure BEFORE the firestone recall thing... The Dealer called me because Ford sent him a complaint.
My Point being is that thanks to the Recall/TSB link on this site I check the TSB`s and recalls OFTEN. You will be Shocked to find out what ford tells the dealers and not the public.
You can also send a report to the NTSB about any concern at
>>http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm<;<
There home page is Loaded with help. The Dealer is not the LAST line of difference....

Also do a Lemon Law search for Info in youe state, The Dealer looks out for Him self ONLY!!

__JOHN__Õ¿ö
Member-
"Crusin North" Car Club
Santa Rosa, Calif.
72 F-250
ICQ#6030753

Old 12-06-2000, 09:01 PM
jbhf250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
powerstroke "cackle"

OOPS Sorry..Correct link
>>>> http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

__JOHN__Õ¿ö
Member-
"Crusin North" Car Club
Santa Rosa, Calif.
72 F-250
ICQ#6030753

Old 12-11-2000, 11:18 PM
edward
New User
powerstroke "cackle"

This is not a 'fuel cackel' .. but have you ever heard of the term "DUSTED" .. for the Ford - diesel - powerstrokes? This is when the engine has had damamge done to it because of the plastic bolts that held the air filter down and asn got through it to the motor. There was a recall on this to replace the plastic bolts with metal ones. Not everyone got the recall. And Ford put a expiration date on the recall .. then took it off their omputers. Many of the motors were ruined .. or damaged severely due to this. The term DUSTED is Ford's own diagnosis term. Even when the bolts are replaced .. there is a chance that they engine has already been damaged .. it would depend on how long it was driven. I know a dealership that has 6 diesel powerstrokes sitting on the lot with this problem .. and the area representative will not acknowledge them. The cost to repair the engine may range $6,000.00 - $10,000.00. I would like to know how many other people this has happened to.

Old 02-11-2001, 01:51 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
powerstroke "cackle"

For the 2001 model year Navistar started installing what they call a "Long Lead" injector in the number 8 cylinder. Some say it helps the "cackel" others don't seem to think it makes much difference. If you want to use the Long Lead injector, it has to be used in conjunction with an upgraded ECM (computer). I can assure you that it is NOT a rod knocking and it won't hurt the engine.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:26 PM
skud
Cross-Country
powerstroke "cackle"

My friend has a 99 F-250 PSD. He told me that he got a letter from FORD, and it was about the "Fuel Cackle". They said it was a problem with the number eight injector, and they would replace it with an upgraded one. They also said that the repair was OPTIONAL... Apparently, there is no damage being done to the motor... It is just a inconvenience.

Later
Skud

Old 02-12-2001, 05:58 AM
drberry
New User
powerstroke "cackle"

Maggie,

The "fuel cackle" is a known issue with the 99' and later Power Stoke engine. It is coming from cylinder no. 8. Ford has released a repair bulletin on it and all you have to do is take your truck to a Ford dealer and they will repair. It is very important that you take it to a dealer that has a competent certified diesel mechanic or you may not get the work done to your satisfaction. Reason behind this statement is there is a lot of things to do to the cylinder in question and you don't want a non-diesel mechanic to screw it up. It is a warranty repair as long as the truck is in warranty but it is not a recall.

Hope this info helps.

Dave

Old 02-14-2001, 03:20 PM
joeiii
New User
powerstroke "cackle"

Well my 2001 psd f350 supercrew duelly is doing the same , just took it in today to change oil 1200 miles. and the dealer stated that was a problem in number 8 cyl. it's going in tomorrow so they can replace the injector. the new one is a little longer and suppose ( lol ) to stop it. They stated that several new fords have had this done. and it stopped it. hope this help Joe
ps. will post and let you know.

Old 05-15-2001, 12:42 PM
allmyxsliveintx
New User
powerstroke "cackle"

I'm curiouse to know what plant manufactured the trucks that are exhibiting the "cackle" problem. I just traded a '99 F350 for an '01 and have the cackle as well as many other problems.
My '99 was made at the Kentucky plant and was a great truck (wish I still had it). My new '01 was assembled in Mexico, apparently during the week of Cinco de Mayo, and has the "cackle", a distorted windshield, stress marks on all of the plastic interior trim, and my hubs and bearings are shot and need to be replaced.

Now get this.....
The truck hasn't even burned a half a tank of diesel yet.
I've formally requested another vehicle and so far, the dealership has been very accomodating (in their VERBAGE at least)as far as getting me into something else.
I'm a true blue fan of the Superduty and don't want to drive anything but one. However, we'll have to see how Ford and the dealership handle this one - stay tuned.

If you guys that are experiencing the "cackle" or any other problems would post where your truck was assembled, I would appreciate it.

You can determine where your truck was assembled by the blue oval windshield sticker on the passenger side or on the white sticker located inside the driver door at the bottom right edge of the truck.

Quick Reply: powerstroke "cackle"