6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Factory Rep Confirms 6.0 Will Be More Sensistive to Air in Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 12:15 AM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-12-2002, 07:03 AM
red99sdv10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is copied from another site

In a discussion with an unnamed Factory Rep at the Northeast rally he confirms that the new G2 6.0 Powerstroke will be more sensitive to air in the fuel then the current 7.3L powerstrokes.

I started my conversation with the factory rep asking him if the new air/water separator would do a better job then the one currently on the 7.3L powerstroke in separating air out of the fuel supply. The rep told me it would do the job about the same as the current system.

I then told the rep that my truck had a problem with air being drawn into the fuel supply causing poor performance and that once I resolved the problem I gained 3-4 mpg. At this point I had not mentioned any specifics to what was installed on my truck.

Without me even mentioning it, the rep began to tell me that the 7.3L is fairly capable of handling air in the fuel and that problems only started occurring when they got rid of the return fuel system in 1998 He then proceeded to tell me that the new 6.0 motor would be more sensitive to air then the current 7.3L

With the rep telling me this, I asked him how they were planning on solving the problem with the fuel lines ingesting air since the new motor uses the same leaking fittings as the 7.3L. The rep told me that to help deal with the situation Ford mechanics will be better trained to look for air in fuel problems, and in particular they will be trained to look at the pre-pump fuel line connection as this is a major source of the problem.

I then asked him how they planned to solve the problem, and asked if they expected problems to pop up with the 6.0L in a couple years once the fuel fittings started leaking. The rep did not know what Ford is going to do about the problem, he just said they are going to have to do something whether it be a recall or a TSB addressing the air leaking connections.

Still in shock, I told the rep I had installed a return regulator to my motor and how it had smoothed out the engine. The rep told me he thought it was a good idea and that he did not know why they got rid of the return lines on the 7.3L motor.

I then asked the rep if he thought a return system would be a good idea on the new motor (as an a side I checked out the new motor and a return system, while difficult to install, is very possible on the 6.0L) The rep did not think it would be needed because the air problem in the fuel should be able to be solved before the fuel enters the rail. Please note the rep did not say or imply that the return system would be a bad idea on the new motor.

I just thought I would mention this conversation because it seems that the air in fuel "cackle" problem that our 7.3L motors are plagued with has been confirmed, and is about to get worse with the new 6.0L motor! Even if the "cackle" is not audible, the air in the fuel system will , according to the factory rep, effect the new 6.0 more then the 7.3L.

2000 F250 SD SC LWB 4x4 PSD auto, 3.73LS,NVK5, dk toreador red , nerf bars, ,TLS/ keyless entry, APCM, A pillar guages by banks: boost,trans temp,pyro,air lift ,on board air tank & compressor,4" DIM exhaust with noname 4" downpipe,noname stainless H/X line, reese 14k 5er hitch Suncoast TC , fuel tank mods, fuel reg and return line mods,puronick air filter. "Bill" flip chip.300+RWHP ATS ported compressor housing

1984 F250 reg cab, quad color(blue, light blue, rust and now more white ) Custom flat bed, 4 speed 4x4 no knock or cackle ,turbo deficient