1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Almost at 30k.should I service the tranny Also question about diesel mods.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 01:29 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-21-2002, 08:23 PM
leeinmemphis
Freshman User

Hey guys,

I have a 2001 psd 4x4 crew cab automatic overdrive that has almost 30k miles. So far the only maintenance I have done is change the oil every 3k miles or so, installed a fresh fuel filter at 15k, put in fw16 as needed according to test strips, and put on some new tires this past week. I drive a large amount of miles a year and want to ask a couple of questions.....Do I need to have the tranny serviced anytime soon? If so does it need to be done by the dealer? What type of fluid do I need to tell them to put back in it? Also is there any other things that need to be serviced on the truck? Believe it or not but I actually washed and waxed the truck today for the first time since I've had it. Anything else I need to be concerned about? I just want to make sure that I keep this truck well maintained because I do quite a bit of towing and drive alot of miles for work and want it to last for a long time.

I am also considering buying the microtuner. I have looked around and haven't found any information but was wondering if the programmer would affect the longevity of the motor? Just don't want it to get hurt in the long run by increasing the performance. Also after the chip....I would like to consider installing an aftermarket exhaust system to help with exhaust temps. At this point is it necessary to install a exhaust temp gauge? I don't know of anyone locally that does this....is it typically installed by a muffler shop or what? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-

Old 09-21-2002, 11:52 PM
rvfiver
Senior User

Hi Lee,
I too have a 2001, mine is DRW and I have 40,000 miles on er. In my opinion 30,000 miles is to long to go without an oil change with the original oil. I have heard of people who simply look at the oil and if it dosen't appear to be burnt or black they figure it's Ok. BAD, BAD idea! Recently I read a thread where the oil had never been changed and they had 190,000 miles on the truck. Talk about lucky! I changed my tranny oil at 19,000 and went to a synthitic oil. Now I have the oil tested at a certified lab every 12-15,000 miles. Having the oil tested is cheaper than having it changed and will determine if it needs to be changed. The test cost about $20. With synthitics you should be able to get 3-5 times (or more) the milage out of an oil change. I also tow a 13,000lb 5th wheel and I can tell you the microtuner will make a huge improvement, not only in towing but in day to day driving, as well as a 3-4 mpg improvement. So far I see no down side to getting a performance chip. I highly recommend getting a pyrometer, transmission and boost gauge installed. I'm a novice mechanic and found the installation of these to be simple and only basic tools are required. Took me about 4.5-5 hours to complete the job. A good mechanic with experience would probably have done it in 3. You will see tons of info at the top of the diesel forum on this web site regarding the microtuner. Any questions can and will be answered by Ken who is obviously the expert on the matter. I chose to purchase mine through this web site to support this forum, but you can find them elsewhere as well. If you decide to use the "off road" program on the tuner, you will need to get the larger exhaust system. Otherwise not required, but recommended. Good luck, and happy trails.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:02 AM
leeinmemphis
Freshman User

Thanks for all the information. I have looked at the fluid and it is not burnt at all but agree with you that it is probably time for me to go ahead and get it changed. Is there any specific brand synthetic fluid that I need to have installed?

-lee-

Old 09-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Highway Prisoner
Junior User

Whoa! Don't use synthetic atf in Your tranny! It should use mercon 3 atf. Check the tranny dipstick, it should read mercon. The synthetic is too slippery, it will cost You a torque converter! I am a nut about using synthetic oils, and grease, but two reliable sources caught Me before I changed My tranny fluid. I had already purchased the fluid, and was geeting ready to change it when I learned of the problem with synthetic atf. In the 4R100 tranny, synthetic atf can be used if, the tranny is modified internally, pressures changed, and the valve body is modified by a shift kit. I have added an additional tranny cooler, a Maghytec tranny pan, and a bypass filtration system. The tranny runs cool, even pulling in 90 degree heat across I90 thru Montana, and elsewhere. I pull with My 2002 F350 PSD Lariet crew full time. I have 67,000 miles in just under 6 months. I also use Mobil Delvac1 5w40 motor oil with a bypass filtration. The micro tuner is the way to go, with a K&N air filter. The performance, driveability, and fuel milage increase is worth every penny of the microtuner. I also went with a low restiction muffler, and noticed another slight increase in fuel mileage, and performance. I also added a Maghytec differential cover, for lower operating temps, and larger fluid capacity. My 2002 came with the gold coolant, which is better than the regular green coolant. No more adding the sca to the system, which most people guess at, and don't use the test strips. The green coolant has to be TESTED before using the additive, if You use too much, it will make the coolant very corrosive, and water pump seals, heater cores, radiators fail very quickly. The additive has a certain amount of grit, which attacks the water pump seal, if the coolant is overdosed. Always test the coolant with test strips before adding to the system!! The2002 is My second PSD, My 94 {one of the early PSD's} is still running with over 600,000 miles, I saw one last week with over 1,000,000 miles, the original motor.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Highway Prisoner
Junior User

I forgot one other thing. The microtuner will also help with the shifting of Your tranny, much firmer shifts are a plus. The Maghytec tranny pan, also reinforces the tranny case, adds 7 and 1/2 quarts capacity. The bypass filtration, and additional cooler add another 2 quarts to the system, for a total of 9 and 1/2 additional to the factory system. I am anticipating a very long life for this truck, I also use Lucas trans additive with synthetic atf in the transfer case. I also highly recommend Lucas fuel injector cleaner as a fuel additive. It is about $20.00 per gallon, it is known to be the best, and least expensive, and can be used in a gas burner.

Old 09-22-2002, 05:04 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts

There is no reason that the proper synthetic can't be used in your 4R100.

Get a fluid that has a MERCON rating. Not MERCON V, or a fluid that is both MERCON and MERCON V rated. That's what it says in your owner's manual. *ANY* MERCON fluid will work fine in your transmission. They all have the same "slipperyness."

MERCON is a specification for transmission fluid. It specifies the "slipperyness" that a fluid must have to meet that rating. It doesn't matter if the fluid is conventional or synthetic, it must meet the specification or it doesn't get the MERCON rating. To get the rating the fluid manufacturer must submit fluid to Ford for testing. If it meets the specs Ford allows them to put the MERCON name on the bottle. If it's too slippery Ford does not allow them to call it MERCON.