6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Future diesel newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 10:07 AM
hitecdan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing my advanced research on my replacement truck. Currently I driving a 93 F-150 and want to move up to a Superduty. I thinking about a F-350 with a diesel engine. My logic goes something like this, adding a diesel engine adds about 500lbs to the weight to the vehicle over the V-10 (lowering the payload rating by the same amount). Basically, putting a heavier engine into a 3/4 truck turns it into a 1/2 ton truck, payload wise anyway. I've already got a 1/2 ton and know the limitation of such a truck. My goal is to have a cab over camper someday, so the 1-ton with a diesel seems the way to go. Still debating SRW or DRW. Also, the diesel get way better mileage then the gasser which is a plus since this vehicle will also double as my daily drive. And of course the trailer pulling power of the diesel. Anything wrong with my logic?

Another question is how much more difficult is it to maintain a diesel as opposed to a gas engine? I understand there is some more maintenance requirements, but I've been driving gas engines all my life and the switch to a diesel can be a little intimidating.

Another thing I ran across was the subject of cackle. I heard of this, but never really understood what is was all about. I ran across this web site http://www.cacklesuit.bravepages.com/ . Is this a big deal? Will the issue be mute when the new 6.0s come out?

Hmmm... A diesel engine that may cackles or a gas engine that may spits up spark plugs?

Like I said, I'm doing my research and wanted to bounce this off you guys. Any insights you may have for a future diesel newbie would be greatly appreciated. Of course now with the new 6.0 coming out, I suppose I should hold off until they iron out the bugs on that one. Then the F-350 will be redesigned to the Tonka concept truck, then.....................

Old 09-24-2002, 10:25 AM
dlcslcman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always, I put my vote in for the diesel. I hve driven diesels for work for years and always wanted one for myself. I now have one and wouldn't trade for a gasser for anything. Sure you have to make sure you keep up on your oil changes as it does so many things in a diesel, and you HAVE to change your fuel filter regularly, but over all if you plan to keep the horse for a good many years, why not give it a little style. (All your friends will be jealous!!!)

I'm not sure if I could identify a "cackle" if it came up and bit me in the a**, but from the postings, it doesn't seem to be a real issue.

I'd try to find a 02 with the 7.3 PSD, if you are in a hurry to buy one. As anyone here will tell you, the first year is never the year to buy a new motor. Let the commercial guys learn about the nuances. Then swoop in and grab the motors after the bugs have been worked out.

Dave

Old 09-24-2002, 11:09 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) the logic of your first paragraph seems completely sound to me. 2) you'll have more oil to change (15 qts) with the diesel, oil and fuel filters are more expensive, if you live in a cold climate, cold starting will make some changes to your life style, etc. 3) cackle is an annoying noise caused by air entering the fuel system from the suction side of the fuel pump. It doesn't hurt anything, it is NOT damaging your engine or any of the components therein. It is NOT robbing you of any horse power (unless you've got massive amounts of air in the fuel). So, here's what you need to know about cackle: Other than pissing you off, it doesn't hurt a thing, it is a chassis problem (Ford) not an engine problem (International), Ford is NOT going to fix it (if you want it fixed, you'll have to do it yourself) and, most trucks don't have it. The people involved in this suit would be better off to simply fix it than to throw rocks at Goliath (thier attorneys will get rich while their trucks are becoming worn out -- this is why the wheels of justice turn so slowly). 4) the new 6.0L engine will be quieter (I don't know if the cackle issue has been addressed or not), more powerful (325 HP & 550 ft.lb. of torque -- I've seen regular production versions of this engine run on the dyno and those are conservative numbers, 340 HP and 570 ft.lb. of torque is more like it). I can't vouch for the debugging of this new engine but if ever there was an engine that had a chance of hitting the dealer lots already debugged, this one is it. O-ring seals and modular gaskets everywhere, no RTV sealant on the oil pan, it is a very nice package (just my opinions).

Old 09-24-2002, 05:10 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

Like what these guys said, a diesel can be a big advantage in a larger truck. I'm going with the new PSD in my next truck this summer.

Supposedly the math goes that a diesel starts to become an advantage if you drive more than 15k a year, otherwise it's a disadvantage.

Generally for what it's worth, a diesel truck will bring back in resale exactly the difference you paid in the beginning.

Dually or not is quite up to you, however you must remember you'd have 2 other tires to replace. If you don't need the extra towing capacity I say forget it.

Old 09-24-2002, 10:08 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-25-2002, 08:54 AM
hitecdan
Elder User

>
>Like what these guys said, a diesel can be a big advantage
>in a larger truck. I'm going with the new PSD in my next
>truck this summer.

Are you going with the new 6.0 Power Stroke? What type of transmission are you thinking of going with?

Thanks for the input guys.

Dan

Old 09-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

6L PSD/5R110 most likely

I'm lazy

BTW, My bad on your user rating, I ment 2 points:-X23

Old 09-25-2002, 07:31 PM
hitecdan
Elder User

>6L PSD/5R110 most likely
>
>I'm lazy
>
>
>BTW, My bad on your user rating, I ment 2 points:-X23

That's what I'm looking at too. And yes, I'm lazy too, give me the auto!

Old 08-02-2004, 06:02 PM
al125
Senior User
I have a 03 F250/6.0, I haul around a Lance 815 truck mount camper on it. Dry weight is about 200lbs,once loaded up its about 2800lbs. The truck has no problems hauling the camper up 7% grade at 85 or going against 30 mph head winds doing the same 85mph. Yes it has the 5 speed auto in it

Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
redtrucktwo
Freshman User
how many miles per gallon with Lance camper on truck? thanks