1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

door ajar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Sugarlips
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door ajar?

umm, i have a 99 ranger, my door ajar light came on today while driving and will not go off! and yes the doors were closed tight!! came home, turned truck off,shut my drivers side door and the key was chiming! whack huh? could this be a fuse, or a switch??

Old 04-19-2004, 06:19 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This door ajar light a common problem and usually an easy fix. Yes, it's the switch; most likely there is some corrosion causing it to stick. At the top of this forum there is a sticky called technical info. Go in there, look under misc and you will find info on how to correct this.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:25 PM
mcryder1950
New User
door ajar possible fix

My 98 ranger had the same problem. I took it to my local FOrd dealer & he told me to spray WD40 (what else?) inside the mechanism. I did, & the problem has not happened since

Old 04-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Donald Rohret
Senior User
Good advice. WD-40 is the common fix for your problem and works in most cases. After you spray some in the door latch, work the door several times and hopefully you will have cured your problem.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:01 PM
jlabrecquevt
New User
Thankyou for the great tip on how to remidy the "Door Ajar" light on my 03' ranger.....a few squirts of WD-40 and it cured it....Kind of sneaky of Ford to hide the switch inside the door... where you cant see it...but anyway thanks again!!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Sugarlips
Freshman User
thanx u guys for the heads up.. WD40 seems to have worked.. now if u can just tell me what WD stands for you'd b doin sumthing j/k!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:57 AM
wire4money
Senior User
water displacement

Old 04-27-2004, 12:10 PM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
as copied from the press release section of the WD 40 websiteas to how WD40 got its name and what it stands for:
WD-40, one of America’s – actually the world’s – favorite products, originated in the space age. What was created in a small lab in San Diego for use on the Atlas missile is now in eight out of 10 U.S. households, sold in 160 countries and used by millions of people every day.

In 1953, three technicians at what was then known as Rocket Chemical Company set out to create a line of rust-preventive solvents and degreasers to protect missile parts from corrosion. It took them 40 attempts to finalize the formula, but it worked. WD-40, which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try, was born.

The product, used by several aerospace contractors, was seen as a magic elixir worthy of bootlegging. Workers smuggled it out of the factory and discovered new uses, such as protecting tools, lubricating machinery and loosening nuts and bolts. Word traveled, and people quickly realized WD-40 truly was the world’s first multi-purpose problem solver, giving any cleaning agent, lubricant, penetrant, solvent or rust inhibitor a run for its money.

Since then, legions of fans have come to rely on the product in the familiar blue and yellow can. They use it to clean car bumpers of grease, grime and bugs, remove crayon marks and prevent rust on gardening equipment and outdoor furniture.

NOW i can tell the old lady i did something today

Old 05-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Sugarlips
Freshman User
gee rangerbob you really did your research