6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Been running my own survey. And a ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:04 PM
FredsF250TD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been running my own survey. And a ?

There are a lot of 03 and 04 PSDs running around here in Houston. I have made it a point of asking everyone that I can about how theirs has treated them. Be it at a stop light, or while getting "gas", or when ever the opportunity presents itself. I guess so far I have spoken to between 15 and 20 owners, of which a little more than half have been 03 owners. Three 03 owners have not been happy since with the infamous May, I believe, flash. Prior to it they had no issues, but things have not been right since. Issues with gas mileage, loss of power and smoking are the problems they site. But prior to the flash everything was great. Ford really dropped the ball with that one, One of those 03 owners took his in for a loose boost hose and was really ****ed that they flashed his truck while it was there. Of the 04 owners one had a rear main seal leak, but it was fixed about 3 months ago and all is well. None of the others have had any problems. You can include me in that group. Not a scientific survey by any means, but it does show me that most PSD's seem to be just fine.
Now a question. What is meant by "Tip In"? Is that when you first give it throttle from idle? I do notice a definite change in sound right when you give it throttle.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Fordtech1
Senior User
Yes...just as you step into the throttle...tip in.

Old 04-20-2004, 01:59 PM
jeb
Elder User
So in your survey, 20% of the owners (3 of 15) are unhappy with their trucks. Not a good percentage, if you ask me.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:35 AM
FredsF250TD
Senior User
Originally Posted by jeb
So in your survey, 20% of the owners (3 of 15) are unhappy with their trucks. Not a good percentage, if you ask me.
Well, I see what you are saying, but my point is that the trucks themselves, and the motors are sound. The flashes, being software have nothing to do with the mechanical aspects of the truck.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:42 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I see your point Fred, but the problems have encompassed far greater things than software changes. Faulty injectors, turbo problems, and fuel leaks into the oil pan are several of the common problems.

I think the percentage of 6.0's with problems is probably less in reality than someone would think reading this website though (I'M NOT SAYING THERE AREN'T PROBLEMS). The main reason is that people who have problems are likely nowadays to search the internet and they stumble across a website like this and seek answers. If you'll notice a lot of the new members are people posting about a problem they're having.

My conclusion/observations are that there are indeed more problems than software issues but the % of engines with problems is probably lower than you would guess by reading the 6.0 PSD forum.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:29 AM
jeb
Elder User
I agree with John. I'd HOPE the real percentages are lower than reading forums like these would have you believe but there are many, many 03 and 04 motors with significant problems well beyond anything a computer reflash is going to address.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:21 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And please, no one post your email address... this is against forum rules because it wiill generate unwatned spam for you...

Old 05-02-2004, 01:14 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Why is this in the 6.0L Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum?

Old 05-02-2004, 08:37 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
:-) :-)
It's all in a name - right SBV45 ?

Old 05-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Tulsa_Texan
New User
Question

Originally Posted by FredsF250TD
Of the 04 owners one had a rear main seal leak, but it was fixed about 3 months ago and all is well. None of the others have had any problems.
I wonder how many of those with no problems have a leaking rear seal and just don't know it. If it's not making a mess on the drive and you don't crawl under the truck you won't know it.

Also was wondering how many dealers would inform their customers of a rear seal leak if they discover it while doing other work since the success rate of fixing this problem seems to be very low.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:41 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
:-) :-)
It's all in a name - right SBV45 ?
The name should say it all. At least it does for me.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Hjudge49
Elder User
I know the diesel tech at the dealership I frequent told me my pinion seal was leaking when he checked my driveshaft center beaing. The dealership replaced everthing at once. (the pinion seal failed because of the center bearing problem.)

Old 05-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Maryfrank
New User
Surveys are nice for buyers and those who are having problems

I have a 03 6.0 F350 SuperDuty Crewcab. Build date is 05/03. Bought in July of 03. Our problems didn't start until 26,000 miles on the truck. First and foremost, I love my truck, have had them and will continue to buy them. I have had all 8 injectors replaced and three of them twice totalling eleven in all replaced. The turbo once but is in shop now for another turbo they believe but will check it out Monday to see if it might be another injector gone bad, want to check it on cold start. We have had the egr valve, map sensor, crank shaft sensor, low pressure sensor, turbo blower hose, and a host of other things replaced on our truck, some of these one, two and three different times. Our truck stays in the shop more these days than when first purchased. Our mecanic told us today that ford rep told him it had to be the inadequate fuel being used. DUH! Where do you buy fuel if it's not at a truck stop. Fuel that moves and is constantly being replaced seems to be a good choice I would think. We are also getting poor fuel mileage, very poor, about 8.5 pulling a trailer. We hear people talking about flash but have never heard this before.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:20 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been advised to use fuel additive to solve the issue of poor fuel. I ordered a case earlier this week just to see what it does.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:26 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Wow,,,Maryfrank,, thats alot of stuff replaced on your truck !! I would be kinda upset I think,,,, ,,!

I know from past experience, , I wont bring my truck in unless it's absolutly nessecary for warranty work,,,,On my 95' PSD,, tech said it was skipping,,,NOT,,after he worked on it,,,it was much worse,,no power,,dent in my fender,, heat wrap ( foil on firewall ), around AC,,all crumpled and messed up,,the thing ran good before it went in,,but went in for a blown vacum pump, and mis-aligned belt tensioner, It seems like they did,nt really know that much about the PSD at that time,,I would think by now they would have a clue,,I hope things work out for you.
Later,,,,,,,,Mark

Quick Reply: Been running my own survey. And a ?