6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Body Lean??? 04 F250

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Bear_Hunter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Lean??? 04 F250

Some of you may remember my post a few weeks ago about the left side of my truck being 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower on the left side. This is a brand new vehicle and I noticed this a few days after purchase. I checked the tire pressure and my suspicions were confirmed. I ended up switching the stock tires out for Goodyear Wrangler MTRs. After the tire install, I remeasured and the truck seemed to be level...that is until I checked the tire pressure. Turns out the guy installing the tires left one about 6psi less than the other three. Well, I correct the tire pressure and remeasure...the truck is still sitting 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch low on the left side.

I take my truck into the local dealer and they check the springs. They inform me that my left front spring is weak...so they order a new one. I think this is great and my problem will soon be fixed. I pick up my vehicle, check the tire pressure and measure from the ground to the top of my fender. The truck is still 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch low on the left side. I inform the service manager and he is seemed perplexed. We both go and measure other new trucks on the lot, and every single one is within 1/8 of an inch on the left and right.

I now think the way the truck body is mounted on my frame is the culprit. Some other signs (that may or may not be related) is my power rear window seems to drag (its real slow), and could be the result of a "tilted" cab on the frame. Also the left front door does not close as easily as the right side.

The service manager told me that he would switch out the rear left spring to see if this corrects the leaning problem. He also said that they would be calling in a Ford "Rep" or something to that effect to check out the truck. He also said that whoever delivered the truck may have had the left side cranked down way too hard and bent the springs.

One last thing: I noticed that the truck bed looked like it had been removed at some point in time. I looked under the truck and noticed a hole with a very obvious mark where the bed once contacted the frame. The bed is mounted on the inner hole, but the outer hole looked like it was mounted at that location at some point (if that makes sense). I pointed this out to the Service Manager and he said "it sure does look that way"...and thats what drove him to make the call for a Ford "Rep". I was supposed to get my bed liner sprayed with Line-X, but he told me to hold out until the Ford Rep looked at it. He kind of elluded to the fact that if there was something fishy found or the problem of the lean could not be identified...getting a new truck.

What do you all think and what would you do if the rear spring replacement still doesn't correct the lean?

am I being too ****? Do you think the rear window drag and left front door is the result of an improperly mounted body?

Old 04-15-2004, 10:25 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
To me, form what you have written down.........it has a problem.
Do you have a friend that is in a body shop; those guys have great eyes and can spot a problem in no time.

Then go to your dealership.

Hum…..great eyes…….now every body man is going to think I have eyes for them