Sponsored by: DP Tuner

single or duall wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:24 PM
RickyBR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question single or duall wheel

I'm fixin to buy a newer F-350 4 door PSD 4x4 w/ manual trans. I will be using it to haul fifth wheel camper & good possibility cattle trailer between mid west and New England states. I never owned a dually before so I am a bit hesitant. I have heard some not so good things as far as driving in snow, mud, etc. w/ them. I'm curious if this is myth or what. Would appreciate some first hand advice if anyone has any answers or experiences for me.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:25 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Not the best for snow, but it will handle a fifth wheel a lot better than a SRW.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:50 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep my dad has had a few dually's and they did suck in snow. What he did though is got a pair of regular single wheels and lugs and put them on after the first snow and they always worked great for him. Looked a little goofy - but made it drivable in the snow. A dually will handle the trailers better than a SRW.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Gypsy
New User
duelly in snow

I have been operating a dually in PA mountains and all over north and north central US and Canada for 15-20 years. Various others have said duals suck in snow, I don't know where they drive, but I suspect they are southerners who don't know how to drive in snow and ice to begin with. The key to acceptable dually performance in the snow is the choice style and condition of tires used. We northerners call them "snow tires" or "luggers" . I haul both flat bed and fiver camper full time and dedicate a set of four snow tires with rims for winter use only. I remove them and store them for warmer weather or southern operation. A lugger worn out by summer warm weather operation is of little use in the winter. I have run for days in snow 2-4 inches deep, with no problem. Another consideration is weight on the rear axle. You can not run a dually around naked in snow, weight improves the tires bite and improves stability. Duallys with cleated tires will also give you the best possible braking in snow and ice.

Don't blame the truck, look at your driving skills!

Old 04-13-2004, 09:04 PM
parkerlsp
New User
I totally agree with gypsy. I am on my second dually as of now and for pulling trailers you can't beat it. When I got this one it had plain highway tires on it and with out having something in the bed or pulling a trailer the back end could get a little light. But I put on a set of good all-terrian tires with an aggressive tread pattern and it is a night and day difference. Though I am a "southerner" and don't have to drive in snow I can't comment on that. Though I can tell you that since I changed tires I haven't had a lick of trouble in mud or anything no matter if I was empty or pulling my 5th wheel with the backhoe on it.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
RickyBR
Senior User
Thanks for the input. I do consider myself to be a decent driver. I drove milk truck in Pennsylvania grand canyon back roads last couple of winters. That is one sure fire way to hone in on your winter driving skills.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:50 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gypsy
Don't blame the truck, look at your driving skills!
I grew up in upstate NY and know a few things about driving in snow. Bottom line is that the dually is not as good in snow as SRW because the weight is spread out over more surface area. That being said, you can certainly drive it in the snow if you don't drive like you're invincable.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:13 PM
DaBigTow
Elder User
I've driven several years over the mountain passes in WA on a weekly basis. I solved the weight problem by building a small (2' x 3') box that I placed between the 5th-wheel hitch rails & the tailgate and filled with 1000lb of cement pavers. Worked like a charm. I never installed chains unless they were required by WaDOT.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:13 PM
550 fulltimer
New User
I did all the research and ask all the same questions you are asking and heard the same thing. Dualls don't work in snow. I bought a 350 SRW and then found out; if you have a blow out on the rear with a SRW you are driving on the rims, I was within 350 lbs of rated weight on the rear tires with my 5th wheel hooked up, The 350 SRW has a 3.73 rear end that is great for fuel mileage but the trans will be shifting down all the time. You want the 4.10 rear end. I loved my 350 SRW but I ended up selling it and went to a 550 Dually. Costly mistake.

Old 04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
RickyBR
Senior User
550 fulltimer, sorry if I sound dense but are you saying that your SRW was the costly mistake or the dually? As far as downshifting all the time, I plan on getting a manual. I had a 2000 F-250 PSD 4x4 with a manual trans and I loved it. I don't know if it is fact or not but I have the mindset that manual is much easier on your trans when pulling loads on hills.

Last edited by Galatians 2:20; 04-14-2004 at 04:53 PM.