6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2004 Ford F-250 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Tony1347
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel

I noticed, an oil leak dripping down from the front of the transmission onto the bottom of the bell housing of the transmission at about 6,000 miles. I waited a while before taking it in to get it fixed. I took it in at about 9,450 miles to get it repaired. When I changed the oil at 6,000 I put synthetic 15W 40 Amsoil in the engine. I took the truck to the dealer I bought it from and they called Ford when they found the leak. It is leaking from the rear main. They told Ford that I put synthetic oil in the truck. They even told ford that I noticed the leak before I put the synthetic oil in the truck. Ford replied that the molecular structor of synthetic oil is different than standard oil, and that is what is causing the leak. Knowing that the 15w 40 synthetic Amsoil exceeds OEM standards. Ford won't fix the leaking rear main. Ford recommended that standard oil be put back in the truck to see if it is still leaking. At this point I am still fighting Ford to fix the truck, even though it is still leaking oil, with standard oil in it not synthetic. I have bought three new ford vehicles since 1996, and this is how they want to treat me. I call Fords customer service, and they pretty much said that if I want to I can write the CEO of Ford a letter, and maybe I might get a responce that way. Mean while I am out about $100.00 for the synthetic Amsoil and filters i put in the truck because Ford had to have standard oil put back in my truck that did not fix the leak. I am still waiting for a responce from The letter I wrote addressed to the CEO of Ford.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:17 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Keep in mind the Amsoil full synthetic you are using is not API certified, which Ford requires. They do not require that it meet or exceed API standards, they require that you use an oil with the proper API certication meeting certain standards.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:54 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Tony first WELCOME to FTE, next sorry for the problems, now do a search on oil leaks here in the 6.0L forum. This will not be light reading, however it will enlighten you tremendously. Give you great insight to the problem. Stay calm and hang out here with the most knowledgeable bunch of people I have ever had the pleasure of being part of.

They will help.
So hang in there.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:28 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Keep in mind the Amsoil full synthetic you are using is not API certified, which Ford requires.
Correct. Amsoil advertises like the oil is an API approved oil but it is not. Amsoil words things very well so you really have to look close to see that it does not actually carry any actual API approved labels, just some fake ones. And saying "Recommended for" is NOT the same as API approved. This could void your warranty in this area so be careful with it.
They do not require that it meet or exceed API standards, they require that you use an oil with the proper API certication meeting certain standards.
I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. You seem to be saying Ford does NOT require the oil to meet API standards and then you say they do? Oh, I get it, I think. You're saying that it has to have an actual certification from the API rather than just an oil companies claim that it meets or exceeds, right?

Old 04-09-2004, 10:08 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tony1347, Two things. The rear main seal on the 6.0 was a problem. I went through two and the last one seems to have gotten it right. How did the dealer know when you changed the oil and what oil you used? I don't tell them anything unless they ask.

Second, Good luck on getting a response from the CEO. I too have written a letter to Bill Ford regarding the flash they were supposed to have out over a month ago. It will have been a month on Monday since I sent the letter. I have not heard a thing other than the service manager at my dealership said he got a call from the executive offices at Ford. Customer assistance was of no help.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:08 AM
mobandy
Junior User
I think the replys so far have hit the high points. Amsoil advertises their oil as being recommended (by who?) for applications requiring particular certifications (not actually certified?). It is also interesting that they advertise three diesel oils on their site. Two synthetic blends and one synthetic (full synthetic?). All three are SAE 15W-40 grade oils. A quick look at most other "full synthetics" reveals that they are mostly SAE 5W-40. I recall reading somewhere that to be able to cover the range from 5W to 40 the oil has to be a full synthetic. If you are selling your oil as the best there is why not take advantage of the capability of a full synthetic and produce the oil as SAE 5W-40. Of course one might also ask why not sell it through retail outlets, (unless they have changed, they used to recruit individuals to sell their oil out of the trunks of their cars and their homes.... like Amway with their products.... hmmmm..... Amway.. Amsoil.. Am I being duped?) Amsoil may well be a fine product and very likely is. I must say though that they have adopted a business strategy that strikes me as strange.

Good luck Tony,

Morris

Old 04-09-2004, 10:47 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jeb
I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. You seem to be saying Ford does NOT require the oil to meet API standards and then you say they do? Oh, I get it, I think. You're saying that it has to have an actual certification from the API rather than just an oil companies claim that it meets or exceeds, right?
Yes. To clarify, it doesn't matter if Amsoil claims that it meets or exceeds API standards, Ford requires an oil that is API certified.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Tony1347
New User
Thank all of you for the info. I picked up my truck today and the dealership put regular oil back in it. Ford wanted me to put few hundred miles on it and bring it back if it still leaked. However, I drove it home 25 miles and it still leaks. I also talked to the service magr., and he told me that even though Amnsoil don't have the API logo on their product it does meet or exceed API standards and Ford will have to fix the problem. If this is the type of service I can expect from Ford motor CO., well this might be the last on I ever buy. Even though I have never bought anything but Ford vehicles in the last 10 years. Once again thanks again for all the help full info. Tony

Old 04-10-2004, 12:26 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Your service manager was kind. He gave you an opportunity to bring it back with the proper oil in it for service which he didn't have to do. I don't think anyone would say that Amsoil is bad, but it doesn't meet Ford specs (API rating) going strictly by the book.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Tony1347
New User
Johnsdiesel, you are right he was very kind. However, Ford was the one who wanted standard oil put back in the truck, not the dealer. And Ford said if it still leaked they would fix the problem then. The dealer know that Ford is just giving me the runaround, that is at least what they are telling me. Thanks again

Old 04-10-2004, 05:19 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Document, Document, Document...

And now u know NOT to wait to report a problem...
at least send a certified letter to dealership with details when something first hits...
you don't know how much trouble this has saved me before...

and always ensure you type up what you want corrected wen you bring it in...
one copy for svc writer, one copy for you that the svc writer SIGNS in front of you...
and THEN you still should check the car bable they put on the svc order because 9 times out of 10 it is paraphrased "not exactly as you would have paraphrased it" !

Old 04-10-2004, 06:22 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Document, Document, Document...

And now u know NOT to wait to report a problem...
at least send a certified letter to dealership with details when something first hits...
you don't know how much trouble this has saved me before...

and always ensure you type up what you want corrected wen you bring it in...
one copy for svc writer, one copy for you that the svc writer SIGNS in front of you...
and THEN you still should check the car bable they put on the svc order because 9 times out of 10 it is paraphrased "not exactly as you would have paraphrased it" !
Congratulations on your 1000

Old 04-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Surf Fishn Truck
Junior User
Amsoil

We have a representative for Amsoil in our Local Union, even he told me not to use his products in my truck.

I am very happy with Mobil 1 5w-40 synthetic.