General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ultimate Fighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 03:52 AM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Fighting

Anyone here watch UFC 47 on pay-per-view Friday night?

I'm a huge MMA fan and this might have been the best UFC ever.

I posted a question about MMA before and didn't get a single reply...we'll see if this one is any different.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:31 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a clue about what you are talking about.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:19 AM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
MMA refers to a type of fighting competition, mma = mixed martial arts. Fighters are allowed to use techniques from any style of martial arts. For example, in one match you could see a fighter use everything he knows, kick-boxing techniques, grappling/wrestling techniques, judo throws, chokes and joint locks.

You can stand and use any variety of striking techniques, or you can try and take your opponent down to the ground using a wrestling take-down, or judo throw, or trip. And once on the ground you can continue striking, or work for a joint lock or choke.

The successful fighters are the ones that train in all the above mentioned areas.

The Ultimate Fighting Championships is the top mma promotion in the United States. In Japan, PRIDE Fighting Championships is the big event.

I could go on and on.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:31 AM
jskufan
Posting Guru
There was an HBO special a while back on one of the top Ultimate Fighting athletes, I can't remember his name. They followed a couple of the tournaments and I think one was in Japan. After seeing that show and the "beating" those guys take (even when they win), I concluded that it was a very tough way to make a living!! Not to mention, carreers don't last very long.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:59 PM
90ebbronc
Elder User
I love watching UFC, but i didnt watch the ppv event. I usually wait till they are out on video, lol then i go rent them for 3 dollars and keep them for 7 days, . Tank Abbot has got to be my favorite of them all.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:41 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
JSKUFAN- that HBO episode was awesome. i think the guys name was Mike... cant remember the last name. they called him the "smashing machine" dude was a cut 265 pounds all muscle. crazy. i lift weights and eat as much as possible and im still only at 200 pounds.

ive seriously wanted to get into UFC for as long as i can remember. but i think ill stick to the amature UFC. just one time in my life i would like to be in the ring with 200 people cheering me on. or... 200 people watching me take a beating! lol

Old 04-03-2004, 05:32 PM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
The HBO Special was "The Smashing Machine". It was a documentary about Mark Kerr, a mixed martial artist whos nick-name was "The Smashing Machine". He was ranked in the top ten for quite some time, but sadly, his personal life self-destructed.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:44 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
yeah... i was at the gym a bit ago and remembered his name was Mark Kurr. its pretty sad to see people on the top, and lose control. on the show he opened his nitestand, and there must have been 40 *empty* bottles of pain killers, liquid kind like morphine. his girlfriend, HOT, but totally NUTS.

its easy for me to sit here and say he shouldnt lose control, but im not in his shoes or under the amount of pressure he is. if he loses one too many fighting matches, his carreer is OVER.