1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welders

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 AM
CWR
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welders

Looking for some advice on welders. I have never welded before but as you all know welding can come in pretty handy with these projects. I want to buy one but don't know what kind to buy (Tig or wire feed). Can you please tell me what you use for the general work on your projects (filling metal replacement ect.)

Also what to watch out for would rather stay away from gas as much as possible.

Thanks
CWR

Old 03-29-2004, 09:29 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are actually serious about learning to weld then gas is the ONLY way to go. Flux core is OK for fixing a lawn mower outside in the wind.

Flux welding makes a mess, splatters bad, penetration is poor and is very inconsistent on sheet metal.

For the hobbyist there is no need to spend $500+ on a Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. Well respected brands such as Astro and Firepower do an excellent job for lesss money and are often on EBay as well. The Firepower FP120 will do both gas and flux; the Astro is gas only.

I use an Astro MIG-13 for simple items such as sheetmetal thru frame boxing. An antique 175A Miller is used for critical suspension and other safety important welding but it is a heavy monster. The Astro sits on a cart with the bottle and is a snap to move around.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:26 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 744 Likes on 267 Posts
welders

CWR

I agreee that for body work and anything less than a 1/4" wire is probably the best way to go... a 175 amp unit will do you proud. Use plain wire and shielding gas (C25) for most work... flux core is for outside welding in windy condition where the wind will blow your shielding gas away... the flux on the wire creates the shielding gas but it does splatter more than plain wire/.....

There is an awful lot to learn before you start welding frames... I recommend the Hobart forum site..lots of good tech and great guys to help you all you want... check it out

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/....php?forumid=5

and
http://www.weldingweb.com/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=10

look around the site at the welding projects and the welding processes forums..

as for finding one, I'd stick with a name brand... Hobart, Miller, Lincoln and used is a good buy... check with the welding supply houses for used units and as mentioned Ebay... watch the classifieds also... I got a great deal on a Millermatic 200 and I love it after my Hobart 90 amp machine...use the little machine for light gauge and the 200 for the heavier stuff...

Tig is also great but expensive to buy... it also has a pretty long learning curve with the techinque you use... wire welding is probably the easiest to learn...

another site with some good general info on welding is
http://www.weldingengineer.com/

hope it helps

John

Last edited by jniolon; 03-29-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:34 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Lincoln Wire Welder purchased at Home Depot. Spring for the extra gas conversion kit and you can do both Mig and Flux then. I agree with the above gentlemen that the flux application doesn't make as clean or pretty a weld but it will do in a rush. The Lincoln's usually come with a hand held shield, spool to convert to other wire and mine had a handbook with it. It takes some practice to get used to and to learn to set your heat and wire speed.

If I can do it, you can too. I'm only the second generation in my family to walk upright

Good luck

Bubba

Old 03-29-2004, 06:31 PM
53Merc
Elder User
CWR,
I agree with the advice given. Flux core, what I use at home, is inconsistent in penetration and spatter is a problem, although you can buy aerosol cans fo anti-spatter.... it's like spraying PAM on your fry pan

While you can certainly learn on your own through trial and error, I took an evening welding course at the local Tech High School, where the instructor went over the safety stuff adn then let us at gas, MIG, stick and TIG welding. It was a good over view and a cheap and easy way to try different methods "hands-on".

GW

Old 03-29-2004, 08:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Mostly agree with what has already been said. MIG with argon is my preferred method. Flux core MIG is crap. MIG in my opinion is the easiest to learn. If you don't buy the very cheapest one you will be amazed with it's versatility. You can always do 90% of your work with a $400-500 MIG and hire out things like final welding of frame work and other life threatening tasks until you feel confident. There are lots of folks talented at gas welding. It could be the best way but it is just not a skill I ever attained for precision sheetmetal work.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:06 PM
CWR
Junior User
Thanks guys,

This is such a good resource for sharing knowledge and what to stay away from.

CWR

Old 03-30-2004, 05:38 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
First off I'm not a welding expert but I've had decent success with patch panels on my 51. I bought an HTP welder (ads in all the car / truck magazines) through the mail after using one at a friends garage. Bought the lower end 120 volt unit with gas bottle and regulator and all the normal expendables, wire etc etc and had it shipped in for a little over 6 bills. I wouldn't weld on the frame with it - I wouldn't weld on my frame with anything I'd get a pro - but for everything else I've tried (seat frames, patch panels, kids swingset etc) I've been very happy with it. Much easier to use than a stick welder and it does make a nice weld with sheet metal. I plan to get some bronze alloy wire and run straight argon (I believe that's what they recommend) as I'm told that will reduce the warping tendency and still make a nice bond for body work. To be honest I've not had a problem with the steel wire - just want to try the bronze as I like the idea of keeping the temps down.

Have another friend with a small Miller and it also does a fine job on light stuff.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:00 AM
scrape
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi guys, not sure about what u do in the states, but down here most retailers worth dealing with will let u demo different units prior to buying, if u were to buy new warranty is always helpfull, and u may be able to gain some tips from the retailer, especially if they have trade days, i recently replaced my old welder with a lincoln 250 aswell as a ac/dc tig for all the fidly things, in the short term it is the dearer way to go, but i enjoy the act of building so the outlay will pay for itself , besides it looks cool having all the toys..cya..gary

Old 04-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would buy a big name welder for the simple reason that you can get parts for it in the future.

Buy the biggest unit you can afford. I guarantee you will find uses for it beyond what you initially imagined. I would consider a 175 amp MIG to be minimum. Go with gas. I recently sold a ~85 amp Hobart and bought a Millermatic 251. It is like night and day.

TIG is a wonderful thing but takes a lot more practice and patience.